Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advise: Dodge Trucks

Advise: Dodge Trucks

Old Jul 19th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise: Dodge Trucks

Originally Posted by Bob
It also falls into the category of a girlie truck.
That's an insult to Girlie Trucks.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Not a fan, but then I've only driven a couple of them, a 1500 and a 2500. FIL, the chap in the know, isn't a fan either.

Mostly because they're shit off road in the log roads and boy, compared to the GMC Sierra, Chevy Silverado and the Ford F-150, they really are a hell of a lot rougher and out in the rough country, not very reliable and really shit mileage.

As Yorkie said, yeah, I'd go with the Silverado if you're hauling heavy stuff or doing any rough or long driving on a regular basis, with the Sierra and F-150 following.
Well we wont be doing any off road driving and as I said our long distance is usually on the bike. The mileage seems pretty compatible to our old GMC Sierra, we had the one that had the suicide doors which drove me crazy

We hadn't even considered a Dodge but the price is so right for this one it will be hard to turn it down. The more I am driving it the more I like it
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:06 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As Yorkie said, yeah, I'd go with the Silverado if you're hauling heavy stuff or doing any rough or long driving on a regular basis, with the Sierra and F-150 following.
Phew - thought you were gonna let me down!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:08 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The new ones can adjust the pedals up and out for short folks though...
Everything is power adjust - seat, pedals, steering wheel....I reckon they can accomodate anyone from a munchkin to Yao Ming....

I don't think thats the issue - I think she still hasn't got over the fact that she was ambushed by a speeding concrete bollard first time out in our Honda Pilot and now she's scared of big new cars
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Everything is power adjust - seat, pedals, steering wheel....I reckon they can accomodate anyone from a munchkin to Yao Ming....

I don't think thats the issue - I think she still hasn't got over the fact that she was ambushed by a speeding concrete bollard first time out in our Honda Pilot and now she's scared of big new cars
The toys in the new pick ups are kind fun....though the best has to be the vented seats, those are lovely.

FIL got the reverse cam too, quite nifty when hauling stuff because you keep the tail gate half open by winding the strap around the locking strut, that way the reverse cam is pointed down at the hitch so you can see what it's doing when you're turning with the hitch.

Anyway, if anyone is just doing short distances or the most off road they'll see is a gravel drive way, they're probably all much of muchness these days, with meh mileage and similar reliability.

You only really notice what sets them apart when hauling heavy equipment regularly or pounding them off road, and some of those log roads before they get filled in have dips a good few feet deep easily, especially around stream crossings.

Lot of fun though....but some how, this time, I don't think FIL will let me give it a go, not until he's broken in his new truck at least
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Bob
The toys in the new pick ups are kind fun....though the best has to be the vented seats, those are lovely.

FIL got the reverse cam too, quite nifty when hauling stuff because you keep the tail gate half open by winding the strap around the locking strut, that way the reverse cam is pointed down at the hitch so you can see what it's doing when you're turning with the hitch.
The a/c vented seats are awesome - especially this time of year. We got the reversing camera too...I'm off with the kids in the trailer at the moment, and it makes life a whole lot easier, although I was kinda sad to consign my home made magnet/bamboo/tennis ball back-up contraption to the bin (sorry Blue Peter!)

To be honest, there are too many contraptions and gadgets now - some of them are useful, but some are just a distraction - I've had to promote my eldest to the front seat to become gadgetmeister so I can concentrate on driving!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
The a/c vented seats are awesome - especially this time of year. We got the reversing camera too...I'm off with the kids in the trailer at the moment, and it makes life a whole lot easier, although I was kinda sad to consign my home made magnet/bamboo/tennis ball back-up contraption to the bin (sorry Blue Peter!)

To be honest, there are too many contraptions and gadgets now - some of them are useful, but some are just a distraction - I've had to promote my eldest to the front seat to become gadgetmeister so I can concentrate on driving!
About 10 years ago I bought a Ford Expedition with AC seats and thought WTF. I had to swallow my words during the hot, humid summer months...so I would think they are a must in Texas. It had adjustable pedals too...a must when you are 5 ft 3 1/2 ins and prefer to drive with arms outstretched.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 20th 2012 at 2:10 am.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
About 10 years ago I bought a Ford Expedition with AC seats and thought WTF. I had to swallow my words during the hot, humid summer months...so I would think they are a must in Texas. It had adjustable pedals too...a must when you are 5 ft 3 1/2 ins and prefer to drive with arms outstretched.
When we got the Durango 5 years ago we scoffed at the heated seats - in Texas? Pah! Then we had a couple of very cold (for south Texas) winters and ate our words big time!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:17 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of people around here with Dodge trucks of all ages so they must be doing something right. My FIL had a couple and they seemed pretty reliable though you had to hit the dashboard to see if you had any gas in the tank. Personally I want a new Tundra CrewMax but if I were offered a Dodge at a good price I'd find it hard to turn down.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
There's plenty of people around here with Dodge trucks of all ages so they must be doing something right. My FIL had a couple and they seemed pretty reliable though you had to hit the dashboard to see if you had any gas in the tank. Personally I want a new Tundra CrewMax but if I were offered a Dodge at a good price I'd find it hard to turn down.
Exactly
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:47 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Haha me too! I've got them on the Acadia and they're just awesome down here. Especially since when you remote start it in the heat it not only puts the AC on max but cools the seats automatically too.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

Tuesday is make our mind up day and so far it's looking like we will buy it
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

AC seats? Never heard of those..... Still, if you're in hot and sticky weather it must feel pretty nice!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Tuesday is make our mind up day and so far it's looking like we will buy it
Not that it matters out your way as you don't really get snow, but the other, certainly on the Ram's a few years old, with the reverse cam. They couldn't have the reverse wanting beep switched off and the bed door didn't have a over hang over the camera properly, so after a dollop of snow, if you didn't clear it from the bed door, it'd dump over the camera and have it wig out on you, which was a little annoying. Might have fixed that now, I'd hope

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
AC seats? Never heard of those..... Still, if you're in hot and sticky weather it must feel pretty nice!
Vented seats are great, basically there's AC vent under the seat and if you've got a remote starter, can cool the seat down nicely before getting in the motor.

Now if only they'd have one for the steering wheel, that'd be lovely
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:57 am

[QUOTE=Bob;10187239]Not that it matters out your way as you don't really get snow, but the other, certainly on the Ram's a few years old, with the reverse cam. They couldn't have the reverse wanting beep switched off and the bed door didn't have a over hang over the camera properly, so after a dollop of snow, if you didn't clear it from the bed door, it'd dump over the camera and have it wig out on you, which was a little annoying. Might have fixed that now, I'd hope

/QUOTE]

Hey, watch it - we had a snow day at school last year! Well, to be fair, it didn't actually snow, but they thought it was going to so they cancelled school just in case

Thats one thing (small thing) I like about the F150 - can cancel the back up alarm, which I couldn't on the Durango. So when I was reversing onto the trailer, all I could hear was that damn beeping telling me it could see the towball Wouldn't exactly be a deal breaker for me though - if you like the truck SM, and its a good price, go for it! BTW, have you pricechecked hte dealers internet prices for new ones, just as a comparison? Worth sending off a quick email or 2 to the local dealers just asking for a quote for exactly what you want - they tend to come back very quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.