Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on what I should do regarding citizenship!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
As a matter of interest, for those of you whom passed your test at the interview at a Federal building where they don't do the Oath on the same day, do they give you your Green Card back?

I had my Oath on the same day at Newark, NJ, so they took my Green Card off me at the interview and I never saw it again
Yes, I got my green card back then I had to give it in at the ceremony.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
If you don't get citizenship, get a re-entry permit thing. Note also when you come back, you'll have to wait a considerable time before you can apply for citizenship again.
Oh! I didn't know that. How long? (Planning to get a re-entry permit for my daughter).
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
As a matter of interest, for those of you whom passed your test at the interview at a Federal building where they don't do the Oath on the same day, do they give you your Green Card back?

I had my Oath on the same day at Newark, NJ, so they took my Green Card off me at the interview and I never saw it again
At the oath ceremony at the Federal Court in Manhattan they took your green card from you.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
At the oath ceremony at the Federal Court in Manhattan they took your green card from you.
I had mine in Concord, NH and it was the same for me. They took my Green Card at the ceremony. Also what was nice was that they had passport people downstairs waiting so you could apply for the US Passport there and all the applications were expedited for free. I had the passport within a week or so.

To the OP: Like a previous poster said... at your interview tell them when you're leaving and hopefully they can arrange for a sign-in for you. My ceremony was six weeks after the interview as the first one afterwards was already full. There were at least 100 people being signed in... I remember there were people from 34 different countries!! I was one of 5 Brits
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh! I didn't know that. How long? (Planning to get a re-entry permit for my daughter).
Check the USCIS Guide to Naturalization at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Check the USCIS Guide to Naturalization at www.uscis.gov.

Rene
Thanks Rene!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 12:37 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

At my Oath Ceremony, they took the Green Card away on the way in, and handed out the Naturalization Certs on the way out. I wonder what happens if for some reason one "fails" the oath ceremony - does one get the GC back?

They do not take the card at the interview.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot 'fail' the oath ceremony. You can, however be refused to take it if, say, you're not dressed satisfactorily (as happened to a couple of punk-goths when I did mine).

I think you just have to return at a later date, but I don't know what happens regarding the green card. I would guess that if you go through the expense and time to apply, it's unlikely that the ceremony itself would be a problem.
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I recall at my ceremony, several officers walking round the room watching us carefully as we said the oath. Not sure what might have happened if they thought someone had their fingers crossed or something.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! Going to tell officer we are flying within a month so would like the oath ceremony ASAP!

Also silly q but does spouse have to go to citizenship interview with you? The letter didn't say anything about it just said bring drivers license...
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:20 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

No to spouse at interview, but bring anyone you like to the ceremony
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 11:42 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

In your family circumstances I would definitely get US citizenship. But make sure you understand the obligations and potential restrictions it will place on your financial life so that you can plan for them.