British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   advice required ,please .. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/advice-required-please-760038/)

steve cross May 30th 2012 12:28 am

advice required ,please ..

hello group ,i came to the usa in december 2011 after meeting my now fiance online on facebook .i met her in her mothers home in florida .we were staying there till i went home on 29th feb 2012 .. as i was on a vwp .ok after a row between me and fiances mother we were both kicked out without any of our clothes or documents ..so im now left with just my british driving licence as id . i have been told that the consulate can get me home as my flight as long gone as i did not want to go home and leave my fiance alone at the time ..any advice would be great as i need now to get home very soon and now have no income ..im getting desperate here ...:(

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 12:35 am

Re: advice required ,please ..

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10089844)
hello group ,i came to the usa in december 2011 after meeting my now fiance online on facebook .i met her in her mothers home in florida .we were staying there till i went home on 29th feb 2012 .. as i was on a vwp .ok after a row between me and fiances mother we were both kicked out without any of our clothes or documents ..so im now left with just my british driving licence as id . i have been told that the consulate can get me home as my flight as long gone as i did not want to go home and leave my fiance alone at the time ..any advice would be great as i need now to get home very soon and now have no income ..im getting desperate here ...:(

I believe the British Embassy will arrange to repatriate you but you have to pay them back. Do you not have a credit card...or relatives in the UK to help you get an airline ticket?

You have also overstayed your stay in the US...which will be problematic if you wish to return. You really should have took the advice already given to you and left the US before the 29th May (today).

steve cross May 30th 2012 12:41 am

i got no family in the uk who can help .and its the 29th already here .. inm so scared right now i just want to get home ..im not botherd about coming back here ..

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10089867)
i got no family in the uk who can help .and its the 29th already here .. inm so scared right now i just want to get home ..im not botherd about coming back here ..

Why are you scared?

If your back is against the wall...the British Embassy will get you home...but as I said they will expect to be paid back.

As long as you've not done something stupid and broken any laws...you will not encounter a problem leaving the US. The problem will arise if you wish to return.

kimilseung May 30th 2012 12:46 am

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10089844)

Have you reported this to the police? They can not keep your property.

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10089873)
Have you reported this to the police? They can not keep your property.

I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I will come along soon...but couldn't that lead to him being deported? Which I believe...has greater consequences than leaving the US voluntarily after an overstay.

kimilseung May 30th 2012 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10089877)
I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I will come along soon...but couldn't that lead to him being deported? Which I believe...has greater consequences than leaving the US voluntarily after an overstay.

I thought the police do not enquire about status (other than the recent laws in some states), but back when he got kicked out this would not have been a consideration. Why would anyone walk away from their documents?

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 1:02 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10089893)
I thought the police do not enquire about status (other than the recent laws in some states), but back when he got kicked out this would not have been a consideration. Why would anyone walk away from their documents?

I don't know...in a town nearby me the cops also work for ICE. Do they make allowances as to why a person has overstayed? We don't know the circumstances as to why the OP walked away from his belongings and documents. It could be at gun point for all we know.

RICH May 30th 2012 1:49 am

What a pickle. What is your Fiance going to do? Go with you, as you say you are not bothered about coming back? Does she have passport/money? If I was you I would have reported lost/stolen passport (if not everything else) back when it happened. You should do so now, not least in case someone else tries to use it fraudulently. While you are talking to the embassy find out what they will do to get you back to Wales. As has been mentioned, you most likely will not have a problem from immigration when leaving the States If the embassy gets you an emergency document.

penguinsix May 30th 2012 2:17 am

Your passport is the property of Her Majesty's Government. It has been stolen (i.e. being held illegally). Quite frankly, a crime has been committed and you can report that your items are being illegally held. The cops may or may not do something, but you can file a police report and start the ball rolling to get items back legally.

Or you can just threaten to do so. You can have your fiancé call her mother and say "listen, we need these items back. The UK embassy has told us we MUST file a police report if we don't get them back or they will contact the State Department about the missing passport, and that will unleash a world of pain" (which is probably not that true but will help emphasize the point). Your fiancé may be able to work out something where she goes over for an hour and gets everything and out the door you go.

The other option is start jumping through the emergency repatriation hoops with the embassy or consulate.

But if you really want out of here, try the simple option first of having her call. If she won't then you should call the police and report the theft of property.

Bob May 30th 2012 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10089877)

Cops can't ask about his immigration status.

But on the other hand, airline is responsible for flying him back to the UK....

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10090033)

But on the other hand, airline is responsible for flying him back to the UK....

I know...but what if the person says he is a visitor? The airline is responsible if he is deported...but isn't it best if he leaves on his own accord?

fatbrit May 30th 2012 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10090033)

Depends on which cops. Most can't or don't. Some do.

Bob May 30th 2012 3:48 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 10090046)
Depends on which cops. Most can't or don't. Some do.

True. Last time I looked at the list, there was only 13 districts that were allowed though, last summer. So unless on a border town, chances are still good that the cop shouldn't be asking about the status.

As for getting deported, well it's never a good thing being removed, but as the OP mentions not being bothered about coming back...

Jerseygirl May 30th 2012 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10090064)
True. Last time I looked at the list, there was only 13 districts that were allowed though, last summer. So unless on a border town, chances are still good that the cop shouldn't be asking about the status.

As for getting deported, well it's never a good thing being removed, but as the OP mentions not being bothered about coming back...

The nearest town to me has cops that are also ICE agents.

steve cross May 30th 2012 5:51 am

ok when we got kicked out in florida we got on a bus to sheboygan wisconsin within a week as my fiance is from there .florida is very expensive to stay in compared to here .we tried the police in florida who went to her mums home who then told the police a load of lies and am lead to believe that our things have been binned ? my contact in chicago consulate said i can buy a emergency travel document for $180 .but my flight to manchester is my concern ... im currently suffering with deppression as it is and im afraid of being stuck here ..my fiance is duel nationality british ,american but both passports have expired so has long wait here till sorted ..:(

SanDiegogirl May 30th 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10090143)
ok when we got kicked out in florida we got on a bus to sheboygan wisconsin within a week as my fiance is from there .florida is very expensive to stay in compared to here .we tried the police in florida who went to her mums home who then told the police a load of lies and am lead to believe that our things have been binned ? my contact in chicago consulate said i can buy a emergency travel document for $180 .but my flight to manchester is my concern ... im currently suffering with deppression as it is and im afraid of being stuck here ..my fiance is duel nationality british ,american but both passports have expired so has long wait here till sorted ..:(

Why did you not go to the British Consulate/Embassy as soon as this happened to get emergency travel documents in order to take your flight home on the 28 Feb?

You have had over 3 months to sort this out. A few days ago you were asking if there were any Brits in Sheboygan to meet up with!

Suggest you get family/friends to fund your flight home.

Bob May 30th 2012 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10090072)
The nearest town to me has cops that are also ICE agents.

Your town was one of the few in that list though :lol:

ian-mstm May 31st 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10090143)
... im currently suffering with deppression as it is and im afraid of being stuck here...

Honest to god, you sound like you're 15 years old and your mom spanked you. If you're an adult, take responsibility for your actions and act like an adult. You managed to get to the US... figure out how to get home. Over the course of the different threads you've started, you've been given several options... all you have to do is pick one and move forward with it.

I say this with all due respect, whining about the inequities of life isn't going to get you anywhere.

Ian

steve cross May 31st 2012 4:24 am

thanks for that comment .that helps a lot ..

RICH May 31st 2012 4:31 am

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10092025)
thanks for that comment .that helps a lot ..

Where are you now? If you go to the nearest international airport and ask for immigration, I bet they will help you get home. Does that help?

steve cross May 31st 2012 4:35 am

im currently in sheboygan,wisconsin .i think the nearest international airport is chicago . thanks .

steve cross Jun 11th 2012 5:46 pm

ok i have spoken to the british consulate in chicago ,they do not help anybody get home to the uk ,its our own responsibility to sort the etd money and flight home ... any more ideas ???:confused:

Jerseygirl Jun 11th 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10113019)
ok i have spoken to the british consulate in chicago ,they do not help anybody get home to the uk ,its our own responsibility to sort the etd money and flight home ... any more ideas ???:confused:

If you're that desperate you could get yourself deported...but you need to know the consequences first.

kimilseung Jun 11th 2012 5:55 pm

I have only known one person who has done this and they said they had to hassle the consulate for it to happen, it was not just a matter of asking, more insisting.

Jerseygirl Jun 11th 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10113034)
I have only known one person who has done this and they said they had to hassle the consulate for it to happen, it was not just a matter of asking, more insisting.

I'm sure Dean posted that in an emergency they will help but expect to be re-imbursed asap.

kimilseung Jun 11th 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10113038)
I'm sure Dean posted that in an emergency they will help but expect to be re-imbursed asap.

I think the problem is convincing them that it is an emergency and that you do not have any alternative sources. Just asking and leaving when they say 'no' does not seem to convince them.

Scouse Express Jun 11th 2012 6:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I do believe that some of this stuff is called for.

Jim.

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:06 pm

If you have a genuine emergency, the call the Consulate and ask for an appointment, as per their instructions, and get down to Chicago and see them. Bring all your documentation and evidence that your passport was stolen.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo.../urgent-travel

Why on earth did you go to Sheboygan? There is no organization that can help there.

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10113051)
I do believ that some of this stuff is called for.

Jim.

Especially with the Sheboygan bit. Nobody goes willingly to Sheboygan do they?

kimilseung Jun 11th 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express (Post 10113051)
I do believ that some of this stuff is called for.
Jim.

Many of these cases that is probably true.
But I know how demoralising it is to be passportless and moneyless in a foreign country, and people thinking you are pulling a scam. I got out of it with a mix of begging, selling my possessions and waiting for money from home and the kindness of strangers. I will give the benefit of doubt if all it costs is a few typed words.

Scouse Express Jun 11th 2012 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10113064)
Especially with the Sheboygan bit. Nobody goes willingly to Sheboygan do they?

I passed close by it on Saturday, en-route from Mackinaw City, MI, to the Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake, WI. Close call, though.

Jim.

steve cross Jun 11th 2012 6:11 pm

i had to come to this dump as my fiance had friends here ,i agree its grim here .thats one reason i want out of this country now .

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10113070)
i had to come to this dump as my fiance had friends here ,i agree its grim here .thats one reason i want out of this country now .

OK, so call the Consulate, request an appointment to discuss emergency assistance, and get down to Chicago for the day with all your documentation.

No one is going to help you if you just sit in Sheboygan. You need to take action.

steve cross Jun 11th 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10113057)
If you have a genuine emergency, the call the Consulate and ask for an appointment, as per their instructions, and get down to Chicago and see them. Bring all your documentation and evidence that your passport was stolen.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo.../urgent-travel

Why on earth did you go to Sheboygan? There is no organization that can help there.

all i got left is my british driving licence ,any body who thinks this is another scam can have my cell number to speak to me .

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10113080)
all i got left is my british driving licence ,any body who thinks this is another scam can have my cell number to speak to me .

No one here wants to call you - it wouldn't do anyone any good.

If you have a genuine emergency, call the Consulate and make an appointment.

kimilseung Jun 11th 2012 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10113077)
OK, so call the Consulate, request an appointment to discuss emergency assistance, and get down to Chicago for the day with all your documentation.

No one is going to help you if you just sit in Sheboygan. You need to take action.

and if they say 'no', then make a nuisance of yourself; everything short of them calling the police, no one likes an embarrassment. Things happen to be shot of embarrassments. And if you are destitute or close to it, you will not mind making an embarrassment of yourself either.

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10113090)
and if they say 'no', then make a nuisance of yourself; everything short of them calling the police, no one likes an embarrassment. Things happen to be shot of embarrassments. And if you are destitute or close to it, you will not mind making an embarrassment of yourself either.

Exactly.

Get the appointment.

Go in person.

Be clear, be truthful, be insistent.

Lion in Winter Jun 11th 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by steve cross (Post 10113080)

Btw, documentation is not the same as documents.

Take your license, but also take anything that documents what happened in Florida, etc. Take your expired airline tickets. Etc. etc.

Scouse Express Jun 11th 2012 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10113104)
Btw, documentation is not the same as documents.

Take your license, but also take anything that documents what happened in Florida, etc. Take your expired airline tickets. Etc. etc.

And a Police Report.