Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

advice required ,please ..

advice required ,please ..

Old May 30th 2012, 12:28 am
Just Joined

steve cross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice required ,please ..

hello group ,i came to the usa in december 2011 after meeting my now fiance online on facebook .i met her in her mothers home in florida .we were staying there till i went home on 29th feb 2012 .. as i was on a vwp .ok after a row between me and fiances mother we were both kicked out without any of our clothes or documents ..so im now left with just my british driving licence as id . i have been told that the consulate can get me home as my flight as long gone as i did not want to go home and leave my fiance alone at the time ..any advice would be great as i need now to get home very soon and now have no income ..im getting desperate here ...
Old May 30th 2012, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice required ,please ..

Originally Posted by steve cross
hello group ,i came to the usa in december 2011 after meeting my now fiance online on facebook .i met her in her mothers home in florida .we were staying there till i went home on 29th feb 2012 .. as i was on a vwp .ok after a row between me and fiances mother we were both kicked out without any of our clothes or documents ..so im now left with just my british driving licence as id . i have been told that the consulate can get me home as my flight as long gone as i did not want to go home and leave my fiance alone at the time ..any advice would be great as i need now to get home very soon and now have no income ..im getting desperate here ...
I believe the British Embassy will arrange to repatriate you but you have to pay them back. Do you not have a credit card...or relatives in the UK to help you get an airline ticket?

You have also overstayed your stay in the US...which will be problematic if you wish to return. You really should have took the advice already given to you and left the US before the 29th May (today).

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 30th 2012 at 12:39 am.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:41 am
Just Joined

steve cross is an unknown quantity at this point

i got no family in the uk who can help .and its the 29th already here .. inm so scared right now i just want to get home ..im not botherd about coming back here ..
Old May 30th 2012, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

i got no family in the uk who can help .and its the 29th already here .. inm so scared right now i just want to get home ..im not botherd about coming back here ..
Why are you scared?

If your back is against the wall...the British Embassy will get you home...but as I said they will expect to be paid back.

As long as you've not done something stupid and broken any laws...you will not encounter a problem leaving the US. The problem will arise if you wish to return.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:46 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Have you reported this to the police? They can not keep your property.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Have you reported this to the police? They can not keep your property.
I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I will come along soon...but couldn't that lead to him being deported? Which I believe...has greater consequences than leaving the US voluntarily after an overstay.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:56 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm sure someone who knows more about this than I will come along soon...but couldn't that lead to him being deported? Which I believe...has greater consequences than leaving the US voluntarily after an overstay.
I thought the police do not enquire about status (other than the recent laws in some states), but back when he got kicked out this would not have been a consideration. Why would anyone walk away from their documents?
Old May 30th 2012, 1:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I thought the police do not enquire about status (other than the recent laws in some states), but back when he got kicked out this would not have been a consideration. Why would anyone walk away from their documents?
I don't know...in a town nearby me the cops also work for ICE. Do they make allowances as to why a person has overstayed? We don't know the circumstances as to why the OP walked away from his belongings and documents. It could be at gun point for all we know.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

What a pickle. What is your Fiance going to do? Go with you, as you say you are not bothered about coming back? Does she have passport/money? If I was you I would have reported lost/stolen passport (if not everything else) back when it happened. You should do so now, not least in case someone else tries to use it fraudulently. While you are talking to the embassy find out what they will do to get you back to Wales. As has been mentioned, you most likely will not have a problem from immigration when leaving the States If the embassy gets you an emergency document.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:17 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Your passport is the property of Her Majesty's Government. It has been stolen (i.e. being held illegally). Quite frankly, a crime has been committed and you can report that your items are being illegally held. The cops may or may not do something, but you can file a police report and start the ball rolling to get items back legally.

Or you can just threaten to do so. You can have your fiancé call her mother and say "listen, we need these items back. The UK embassy has told us we MUST file a police report if we don't get them back or they will contact the State Department about the missing passport, and that will unleash a world of pain" (which is probably not that true but will help emphasize the point). Your fiancé may be able to work out something where she goes over for an hour and gets everything and out the door you go.

The other option is start jumping through the emergency repatriation hoops with the embassy or consulate.

But if you really want out of here, try the simple option first of having her call. If she won't then you should call the police and report the theft of property.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Cops can't ask about his immigration status.

But on the other hand, airline is responsible for flying him back to the UK....
Old May 30th 2012, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob

But on the other hand, airline is responsible for flying him back to the UK....
I know...but what if the person says he is a visitor? The airline is responsible if he is deported...but isn't it best if he leaves on his own accord?
Old May 30th 2012, 3:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on which cops. Most can't or don't. Some do.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Depends on which cops. Most can't or don't. Some do.
True. Last time I looked at the list, there was only 13 districts that were allowed though, last summer. So unless on a border town, chances are still good that the cop shouldn't be asking about the status.

As for getting deported, well it's never a good thing being removed, but as the OP mentions not being bothered about coming back...
Old May 30th 2012, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
True. Last time I looked at the list, there was only 13 districts that were allowed though, last summer. So unless on a border town, chances are still good that the cop shouldn't be asking about the status.

As for getting deported, well it's never a good thing being removed, but as the OP mentions not being bothered about coming back...
The nearest town to me has cops that are also ICE agents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.