Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice re green card

Advice re green card

Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re green card

Originally Posted by Michael
However, your wife would not be eligible for social security and medicare benefits until you reach 65 since she would be getting benefits based on your income qualification.
What about on the flip, and she was the one that worked the years? One person would still need the 10 years or could they combine them? She'd be 65 in 6 years, so if able to piggy back off each other?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What about on the flip, and she was the one that worked the years? One person would still need the 10 years or could they combine them? She'd be 65 in 6 years, so if able to piggy back off each other?
You can either qualify on your own income or your spouses income but not the combination of both. If you qualify on your spouses income for medicare and the spouse reaches 65 before you, you still can not receive medicare benefits until you are 65.

As far as social security, the amount of benefits are based on the amount of the contribution over the years and if you qualify on your spouses income, you will get a percentage of the spouses benefits where as if you qualify on your own income, you will get the full benefit. You can apply either way which ever is best for you. If you had a very low income and even though you qualify on your own income, the benefits may possibly be better to qualify on the spouses income if the spouse had a high income.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 11th 2012 at 6:55 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbo
Thanks Lisa. That was going to be another question I was going to ask. Neither my wife or I have any pre existing conditions but of course we don't know what the future holds. I have looked online at some health insurance quotes which seem to be around $400 per month for the both of us. Is this realistic or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks
With private individual insurance you would be surprised as to what the insurance companies regard as pre-conditions. From high blood pressure to asthma to cancer. It is unlikely that, since you are aged 55, you have led a medical history free life.

Also, the rates that are provided on insurance websites are usually pre-underwriting rates and even if you get the rate as quoted it WILL go up after 6 months and then every year thereafter.

I started paying in May 2009 at $251 per month and it is now at $471 per month. Health care costs are out of control in the US - there is no mechanism for keeping costs down.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
With private individual insurance you would be surprised as to what the insurance companies regard as pre-conditions. From high blood pressure to asthma to cancer. It is unlikely that, since you are aged 55, you have led a medical history free life.

Also, the rates that are provided on insurance websites are usually pre-underwriting rates and even if you get the rate as quoted it WILL go up after 6 months and then every year thereafter.

I started paying in May 2009 at $251 per month and it is now at $471 per month. Health care costs are out of control in the US - there is no mechanism for keeping costs down.
Plus they can normally cancel you on a whim if you are on an individual insurance policy and not company policy.