Reload this Page >

Want to move to USA and start a new life

Want to move to USA and start a new life

Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:06 am
Just Joined

a_fresh_start is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to USA and start a new life

Hi everyone,
My name is Fiona and I am looking to move to the USA. Basically life in the UK isn't treating me that well. I am self employed and a single mum and I work every hour god sends just to make ends meet and it's never enough. Things are always going wrong and I feel as if I'm throwing my life away (I'm 28)
My older sister lives in the US, she just became a citizen. I found out that it's possible for me to get a green card through her and I looked into it and it seems it's possible if I fill out an immigration form, pay a filing fee and wait a LONG time (8+ years!) My sister would have to sponsor me I understand. I've had money and personal probs in the past and I'm not sure if she would sponsor me. She says she doesn't think that the US would help my problems. Any ideas how I can convince her to sponsor me and give me a new life?! Also do people find that life is generally better in the US if you were having problems in the UK? I just want a new start. I would be nearly 40 by the time I move there but that's better than nothing isn't it!
THanks for any advice, I'm just looking for my escape and second chance...
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:07 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to USA and start a new life

Originally Posted by a_fresh_start
Hi everyone,
My name is Fiona and I am looking to move to the USA. Basically life in the UK isn't treating me that well. I am self employed and a single mum and I work every hour god sends just to make ends meet and it's never enough. Things are always going wrong and I feel as if I'm throwing my life away (I'm 28)
My older sister lives in the US, she just became a citizen. I found out that it's possible for me to get a green card through her and I looked into it and it seems it's possible if I fill out an immigration form, pay a filing fee and wait a LONG time (8+ years!) My sister would have to sponsor me I understand. I've had money and personal probs in the past and I'm not sure if she would sponsor me. She says she doesn't think that the US would help my problems. Any ideas how I can convince her to sponsor me and give me a new life?! Also do people find that life is generally better in the US if you were having problems in the UK? I just want a new start. I would be nearly 40 by the time I move there but that's better than nothing isn't it!
THanks for any advice, I'm just looking for my escape and second chance...
what will be different in the USA compared to the UK for you?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:20 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I was once told this and its so true "You can never run away from yourself" no matter where you go or what you do what ever it is that ails you will be right there with you!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

She says she doesn't think that the US would help my problems.
She is quite possibly right - she knows you and she knows what life is like in the US ("working every hour god sends just to make ends meet and it's never enough" isn't exactly uncommon here ...) which means that she is in a much better position to give you good advice than any of us.

The trouble with "moving to start a new life" is that the problems that you had with your "old life" often have a way of moving with you.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:21 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Life isn't really better here, same shit different shovel. And less paid time off.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

As the saying goes 'you can run but you can't hide'! The streets here are not paved with gold, you need to make the move for the right reasons.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
As the saying goes 'you can run but you can't hide'! The streets here are not paved with gold, you need to make the move for the right reasons.
The streets are indeed not gold. they are cobbled, and you will have to walk on the cobbles with high heels.

It's not paradise over here. It may look like it when you come on vacation, but, it's not a cakewalk, that's for sure.

Jim.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:01 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for a fresh start, you can actually find it in many different places around the world, not just the USA. Australia, New Zealand, Canada all speak English and have somewhat similar standards of living, and you might find immigrating to those countries a tad easier than the USA (which has some of the toughest immigration policies around).

Something we often suggest to expats in the USA who have "had enough of the US" is to consider moving, but to another part of the USA, not necessarily back to the UK. Have you considered a fresh start in a different part of the UK? Would be a bit easier, and considerably quicker and cheaper than restarting over here.

As others have said, the streets here are not paved with gold. The cold hard reality of that smacks a number of people in the face once they spend a bit of time living and working in the US. You'll also find that some of the problems you have 'back home' have a way of cropping up again once you are overseas, even though you don't expect them to. You'll also find that some things that are not problems back home really are problems when you get overseas.

Good luck with your search.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I work every hour god sends just to make ends meet and it's never enough.
Respectfully, it'll be the same in the US also... and the US has no social safety net if you fail.

My sister would have to sponsor me I understand. I've had money and personal probs in the past and I'm not sure if she would sponsor me.
As the USC relative, not only must she be your sponsor - she must start the process on your behalf. Without her cooperation, it's not going to happen.

Also do people find that life is generally better in the US if you were having problems in the UK?
Your life will likely not change much... because you're still you - with all the same baggage you had before.

I'm just looking for my escape and second chance...
If I might ask... what are you going to do in the intervening 12 or so years (not 8) while you're waiting?

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

a_fresh_start is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses from everyone.
First of all, I know that moving to the USA might not necessarily work out. It's possible it would completely backfire! But it's something I want to try. I want to say that I went out there and tried my best even if it doesn't work out. I could move to another part of the UK yes, but even now that's not possible with all the issues I have with child care, bills, etc. I need to be here until my daughter is older and I don't need my own parents for babysitting. (Can't afford babysitters) Five years from now things should be better for me child-wise.
I am actually working as best I can to build up my freelance work into a small business, that's my dream. If that takes off and I can get financially upright, then no need to move to the USA. But I just don't know if that will happen so I wanted a safety net in case 8 - 10 years from now it hasn't worked out the way I want it to and I can get a second start somewhere else. My sister had a lot of problems when she moved out there and now her life seems to be so much better. I just need to convince her to give me the chance too
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, I know that moving to the USA might not necessarily work out. It's possible it would completely backfire! But it's something I want to try. I want to say that I went out there and tried my best even if it doesn't work out. I could move to another part of the UK yes, but even now that's not possible with all the issues I have with child care, bills, etc. I need to be here until my daughter is older and I don't need my own parents for babysitting. (Can't afford babysitters) Five years from now things should be better for me child-wise.
I am actually working as best I can to build up my freelance work into a small business, that's my dream. If that takes off and I can get financially upright, then no need to move to the USA. But I just don't know if that will happen so I wanted a safety net in case 8 - 10 years from now it hasn't worked out the way I want it to and I can get a second start somewhere else. My sister had a lot of problems when she moved out there and now her life seems to be so much better. I just need to convince her to give me the chance too
So if you are in a financially better position in 8/10 years time you will stay in the UK...if not you want to move to the US? That doesn't make sense...you will be in a far worse position financially if you move here...no NHS...no child benefit etc. Depending on the age of your daughter you will also need written consent from her father before you can remove her from the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My name is Fiona and I am looking to move to the USA. Basically life in the UK isn't treating me that well. I am self employed and a single mum and I work every hour god sends just to make ends meet and it's never enough.
Nothing will change by moving to the US. Your sister is right.

If anything, probably make things worse.

How old is the kid?

Still, if you want a fresh start, move else where in the UK or within the EU, where you don't need a visa, much easier and cheaper.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Want to move to USA and start a new life

Hi everyone,
My name is Fiona and I am looking to move to the USA. Basically life in the UK isn't treating me that well. I am self employed and a single mum
Are there any custodial/visitation issues with the Father of your child to deal with?

Jim
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, I know that moving to the USA might not necessarily work out. It's possible it would completely backfire! But it's something I want to try. I want to say that I went out there and tried my best even if it doesn't work out.
Your USC sister will need to file an I-130 petition to get the ball rolling. If she is unwilling to do this, it will never happen. I don't know how to convince her, only you know how to do that.

Even if you convince her to file an I-130 now, in about 10 - 12 years she'll need to file an I-864 Affidavit of Support for you, and that's a legally binding contract between her and the US government. When that time comes, she might not be willing to guarantee her financial support.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2012, 5:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Are there any custodial/visitation issues with the Father of your child to deal with?

Jim
There probably won't be, in about 10 - 12 years (of course depending on how old the child is now).

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.