Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on Portland, OR

Advice on Portland, OR

Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Portland, OR

Rose City Park, Hollywood, Laurelhurst are also good places to live and easily commutable. I'm sure your realtor will help you out. The biggest problem is trying to find somewhere to rent. There is not a big supply of SFRs in Portland area.
I would decide on your maximum commute time and then decide what facilities your require for your family. There are several of us on the forum from all different parts of Portland Metro.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud
We have a realtor, especially since we are looking to rent initially. I've been surprised buy the speed she sends properties through, but I guess I'm just used to UK estate agents.
That is because of the chronic shortage of properties to either rent or buy. If you don't get in within the first couple of days they go on the market they will be gone. Especially so in the City of Portland.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed a 3 bed 1 bath place for rent near Nike this morning. Not sure if that is too far out.Maybe it's too soon to be looking for rentals unless you want to pay rent up front. The other place to check is craigslist. I post my properties on there are they are normally rented in 1 or 2 days.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Alameda ro Alberta is nice , more expensive than Beaverton. Make sue you look at the right end. THe neighborhood declines rapidly in that part of Portland. I did have a work colleague that cycled from Beaverton to down town. I would not recommend it. However it is easy to take a bike on the MAX. Also many of the MAX stations now have "bike lockers", you will need to supply your own padlock.

You can check crime statistics at spotcrime.com.

If you are into flying as a hobby the airfields on the west side are easier to fly out.
I just noticed your reference to flying and at the same time your location in Hillsboro, OR. Are you by chance a Van's aircraft fan? Van's used to be in Hillsboro. No one who flys as a hobby these days hasn't heard of Van's. I have a
RV3 and plan to keep it until too old to fly.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I just noticed your reference to flying and at the same time your location in Hillsboro, OR. Are you by chance a Van's aircraft fan? Van's used to be in Hillsboro. No one who flys as a hobby these days hasn't heard of Van's. I have a
RV3 and plan to keep it until too old to fly.
They are now based in Aurora. I have never known them to be in Hillsboro, but I have only been flying here for 5 years. They are very popular. There seem to be a lot of aircraft manufacturers in the PNW considering how IMC the weather is.
Flying is a great hobby to eat up retirement savings. I hope I can still afford to fly after retirement.

Last edited by mrken30; Jan 31st 2016 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
They are now based in Aurora. I have never known them to be in Hillsboro, but I have only been flying here for 5 years. They are very popular. There seem to be a lot of aircraft manufacturers in the PNW considering how IMC the weather is.
Flying is a great hobby to eat up retirement savings. I hope I can still afford to fly after retirement.

I could be wrong about Hillsboro. I do know they moved onetime. Depending on your age and how much free time you have building a RV is a great hobby in itself. Some guys have built three or four. I didn't build mine I bought without engine and put the engine from my Piper Colt in it. With 108 horse power I cruise at 160mph. The new kits have every rivet hole prepunched by CNC machines so building one is not that hard.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on Portland, OR-image.jpeg