Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice on Portland, OR

Advice on Portland, OR

Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on Portland, OR

For the Oregonians out there. I'm relocating with the family to Portland and I'm happy to take suggestions on areas to live. We have a realtor on the case already, so in the meantime we'll AirBnB it.

My office is in the Pearl and I'll be biking/running/Max to work. We're looking for family friendly neighbourhoods which aren't a million miles from everything. My wife will have the car. Child 1 is 2 and the other is 4 months, so schools are not an issue just yet.

We have cousins in Rose City Park and that's one of the areas we're looking at and where we have found a place to stay for the first month. I think the other side of Forest Park, Beaverton etc is just that little bit too far whilst we get ourselves sorted.

Does anyone know what the links are link from SouthWest? I've only really travelled on the I5 that way, although we have more relatives in the Homestead area.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Portland, OR

Why SW, why not SE what's wrong with Milwaukie, the Oak Grove area or Oregon City. Milwaukie has light rail a great little city 20 minutes to downtown Portland. Oak Grove area is close to the end of the orange line.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

LonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura aboutLonelyCloud has a spectacular aura about

Oh nothing is wrong with them, I've just never explored the SW in anyway. I hadn't considered Oak Grove. I'm overlaying transport maps with neighbourhoods, so I'm sure I'm missing areas.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The east side of the river is the supposed poorer area. Probably was once but now especially Milwaukie it is coming back to life. Milwaukie and Oak Grove have one of the hottest property markets in the metro area, but are still cheaper than Portland, Tigard, Tualatin. It was the opening of the orange line which started people moving this side again.

Milwaukie, Oak Grove has the Trolly Trail which links to the bike path along the river into Portland. A small section is on the road in Milwaukie but that is being done this year, or should be. So you can bike easily and safely.

The traffic a round 99W is much worse IMHO than around 99E and there are only buses if the light rail is what you are looking for. If you look this side come south down the river, do not go out east towards Gresham, that is still not a good idea. I'm just off to the local hospital for a stress test so will post more when I get back.

Last edited by lansbury; Jan 28th 2016 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Google the show "Portlandia". Watch the clips on Youtube or on Netflix and you'll have a good idea of Portland.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends in Eastmoreland which is pretty nice, but probably pretty expensive for property. The new light rail runs by there. My girlfriend also used to live near there in Sellwood which I really liked as it has local shops, restaurants, bars etc and is pretty close to downtown Portland. I've never lived in Portland though, so couldn't comment on much of the rest of it. Good place to visit though.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun View Post
Google the show "Portlandia". Watch the clips on Youtube or on Netflix and you'll have a good idea of Portland.
This.

Prepare to grow a beard (if a man), get tattoos, and obsess about coffee and food carts.

Piercings are also good.

Good music though, easy climate, great bookshop, and easy to live in if you don't mind a rather homogeneous culture of white hipsters, if in the city anyway.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:57 pm

Old Jan 28th 2016, 7:55 pm

If using the MAX is important it does limit you as to where to look. Out towards Beaverton and Hillsboro which make for a long commute. The yellow line along Interstate. Was a run down area in north Portland but now gentrified with the arrival of MAX.

East towards Gresham which is where they moved the families that lived in the poorer areas of Portland before they got gentrified. Personally if it is in Multnomah County I wouldn't go east of I205.

Happy Valley if you like cookie cutter houses close together on small lots. Newer property and still growing. Nice area for families. Might need to bus or drive to Clackamas Town Center to get the green line. Draw back to the green line it runs along I205 and then I84 to downtown Portland. An L shaped route which takes about 50 mins.

Milwaukie, Oak Grove. Older developed neighborhoods with mature trees and bigger lots. Downside older houses a lot built in the 60s and 70s but I prefer those neighborhoods to Happy Valley. But 20 mins to Portland on the orange line.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Why have I never seen this show?
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in the Pearl a great adhoc child care place is WeVillage. You don't have to sign up for any committed hours.
All the good schools are on the West Side.
I worked 5-10 mins from the Pearl for a while. The commute depends a lot on the time of day.
Parking is about $200 a month.
Trimet (Transit) pass I think was around $130 month.
There are quite a few homeless people around that part of Portland. Some crazy , some not so crazy. I only got accosted twice, the second time the guy with the chain in the parking lot decided to go after the security guard.
Portlandia is scary it's too near to the truth.
Soccer stadium is on the West side, along with the baseball stadium.
Cedar Mill is reasonably priced , takes about 30 mins by train to get into the Pearl
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a good realtor if you are looking for property. Also are you going to be working from home much? If so might be worth looking at Vancouver, no income tax. About 30 mins into downtown by express bus ( C-Tran)
Forest Park is very close and very little traffic. Beaverton isn't far, maybe 40 mins by train. 20 mins to just over an hour driving. Has international school, and German School
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately, although there is an option to work from home it only really happens when a few snowflakes fall, sorry, epic snow, like earlier this month. We have a realtor, especially since we are looking to rent initially. I've been surprised buy the speed she sends properties through, but I guess I'm just used to UK estate agents.

I lived in McCormack Pier for a few months in 2014, plenty of homeless people around there, most were harmless enough
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:14 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LonelyCloud View Post
For the Oregonians out there. I'm relocating with the family to Portland and I'm happy to take suggestions on areas to live. We have a realtor on the case already, so in the meantime we'll AirBnB it.

My office is in the Pearl and I'll be biking/running/Max to work. We're looking for family friendly neighbourhoods which aren't a million miles from everything. My wife will have the car. Child 1 is 2 and the other is 4 months, so schools are not an issue just yet.

We have cousins in Rose City Park and that's one of the areas we're looking at and where we have found a place to stay for the first month. I think the other side of Forest Park, Beaverton etc is just that little bit too far whilst we get ourselves sorted.

Does anyone know what the links are link from SouthWest? I've only really travelled on the I5 that way, although we have more relatives in the Homestead area.
Beaverton would be a bike ride from hell, period, a run nearly impossible, safely. Assuming a 10 mile bike ride is agreeable you should be able to find what you want either west, north, south and yes even east..say Alameda district. The southwest tends to be either high end or apartments, townhouses or condos.Also Portland has more miles of bike lanes than perhaps any American city.

Last edited by Beaverstate; Jan 29th 2016 at 8:19 am.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
Beaverton would be a bike ride from hell, period, a run nearly impossible, safely. Assuming a 10 mile bike ride is agreeable you should be able to find what you want either west, north, south and yes even east..say Alameda district. The southwest tends to be either high end or apartments, townhouses or condos.Also Portland has more miles of bike lanes than perhaps any American city.
Alameda ro Alberta is nice , more expensive than Beaverton. Make sue you look at the right end. THe neighborhood declines rapidly in that part of Portland. I did have a work colleague that cycled from Beaverton to down town. I would not recommend it. However it is easy to take a bike on the MAX. Also many of the MAX stations now have "bike lockers", you will need to supply your own padlock.

You can check crime statistics at spotcrime.com.

If you are into flying as a hobby the airfields on the west side are easier to fly out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.