Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice to new ExPats moving to Texas...

Advice to new ExPats moving to Texas...

Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:28 pm
Banned

DonewithDenver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice to new ExPats moving to Texas...

I moved from Britain to the US in the early 2000s and spent my first six years in Houston, TX before moving on to several other states due to work. I currently find myself in Denver, CO.

Let me tell you guys this, and I'm specifically addressing the Brits who are moving directly from Blighty to Texas (your previous two week holiday in Disney doesn't count) ... Texas is NOT the same as the rest of the USA.

I'd say, looking back, that I was largely spoiled by having Texas be my first experience of life in the USA. The cost of living, the southern hospitality, the weather, the property sizes, the restaurant portions, the value for money, the individualism and work ethic, etc. I made a few friends who moved to Houston from other places such as Wisconsion, North Carolina, California, etc, and they all told me that Texas was a different beast - it's own place with a culture, ideology and vibe that is independent and different to that of the other 49 states. And only when I left it, did I see that it was true.

So folks, enjoy your life in TX, and keep in mind that just like a child has no comprehension of the value and gift of youth, you probably have no idea how lucky you are to be living in the Great State of Texas.

I'd move back if I could, and hopefully I'll be able to soon (damn job.)
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:27 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice to new ExPats moving to Texas...

I couldn't handle the accent. Like people wearing backwards baseball caps, I automatically deduct 15 IQ points when I hear that godawful accent.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 1:33 am
Banned

DonewithDenver is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I couldn't handle the accent. Like people wearing backwards baseball caps, I automatically deduct 15 IQ points when I hear that godawful accent.
Really? I never noticed an accent. Before arrival, I was expecting Kentucky/Alabama/Tennessee style drawl, but I found the Texas accent to be mostly pleasant.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

banned member