Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job hunting?

Advice for job hunting?

Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job hunting?

Originally Posted by thinbrit
It is overly general, but here are red flags that immediately have me concerned when reading a candidates resume.

Any unexplained gaps in career.
Several explainable gaps in career.
Inappropriate email address on resume "[email protected]", for example. I kid you not, I've had some real eye opening email addresses.
I always look up candidates online. Social media page showing you drunk out of your mind or sucking on a pot filled hookah pipe isn't going to cut it.
Don't send a resume that contains only work experience that is not relevant to the position. Recently when hiring registered vet techs with 2 years ER experience a prerequisite I got numerous resumes with people who thought they were qualified because "I love animals" or "as a little girl I really wanted to be a vet".
Don't include irrelevant information. We don't care that you speak 5 languages, unless the job calls for bilingual.
Leave out personal interests/accomplishments. You won spelling bee aged 7, I don't care. If you are applying for a job as a fork lift driver and won fork lift driver of the year, then of course include that.
Hobbies, so what. You play 5 aside football on Saturdays, big deal. You just wasted my time reading that.

Don't stuff your resume with power words and phrases, they make us nauseous.

Also, if the objective section is like a page from corporate jargon BS. You'll turn me off if you start some rambling nonsense of buzz words that has no real depth.

Keep your resume brief but informative (600 to 700 words). Employers get hundreds of resumes. We just don't have time to read a 6 page life story.

Include a brief cover letter telling me why you are suitable for the job.

Be polite. Don't be cocky. Don't appear desperate.

Good luck!

EDIT:
Don't have a blanket resume you send out. Really personalize the resume for each job, highlighting the bits that fit and removing the bits that do not.
All good advice. I'd add:
Make sure you use US spellings, and terms/phrases. Job applications aren't the time to assert that UK spellings and terms are 'correct'.

Make sure the style/structure of the resume follows the US style (which I can't even explain any longer, but as an example, no need to say 'clean drivers license').

If you are sending your resume electronically (rather than filling out forms online), create a PDF version of it, and make sure the layout is US Letter and NOT UK A4 size. I used to get resumes from Brits and when I printed them out, the damn shared printer would back up waiting for me to change paper. If you are sending a paper resume in an envelope, make sure it's on US letter sized paper.

Hit up every contact you have.

Good luck!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... If you are sending your resume electronically .... create a PDF version of it, ....
Creating a PDF also effectively locks the content, unlike say Word docs, which can be edited or corrupted by the recipient.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 15th 2016 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Time for me to take my own advice - and that of others.

I got canned at the end of last week!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

I hope you're able to find something else quickly.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 2:53 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Bad news Guindalf, hopefully doors will open to better opportunities.
Best of luck with the job hunt.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:00 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's different for students...
my eldest is currently applying for US based internships for the summer months. The advisors at her university told her to put at the end of her resume, "eligible for work in the USA" since they are asking for details of education to date and some of hers is in EU and she has been in the USA for less than 3 years. She said that she has been asked specifically how she is authorised to work in the USA.

On the other hand, a fellow international student whose ability to work is v limited was told not to mention anything at all until he was asked.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by username.exe
Bad news Guindalf, hopefully doors will open to better opportunities.
Best of luck with the job hunt.

What field are you in?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Maybe it's different for students...
my eldest is currently applying for US based internships for the summer months. The advisors at her university told her to put at the end of her resume, "eligible for work in the USA" since they are asking for details of education to date and some of hers is in EU and she has been in the USA for less than 3 years. She said that she has been asked specifically how she is authorised to work in the USA.

On the other hand, a fellow international student whose ability to work is v limited was told not to mention anything at all until he was asked.
It has to be different for students. Many students are living, for several years, in the US legally, but are not permitted to "work". There is not really an equivalent status for non-students, except perhaps for H-4 or O-3 trailing spouses, or B-2 cohabiting partners, who can volunteer, but not "work".
Old Feb 15th 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

What field are you in?
I'm in IT - desktop support, I guess is the best description. I'm not a programmer and I'm fairly weak in corporate networking (setup, mainly - I can handle active directory and the desktop end).

It should be fairly easy on paper, but we live in rural Georgia and most people think a computer is what they use to calculate the tax on a whole hawg!
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Creating a PDF also effectively locks the content, unlike say Word docs, which can be edited or corrupted by the recipient.
They can be messed around with easily enough, but anything that takes a couple of seconds to mess a recruiter up from copy and paste of your info and blanket firing your info without your deets is a good thing, as they'll mess your chances up quite heavily if you're not being specific to one recruiter and being careful of that being the case.

As for the buzzword bingo. I think it depends. If you're sending your resume to an actual person, then yeah, not so import and great to get rid of it, but if it's being sent as a online application where it'll be filtered well before it gets to a person, you're going to want the buzz word bingo so that it isn't automatically going to get rejected.

All that to say, different jobs/industries/experience levels, going to need different approaches.

One thing that will be common through out, networking being king.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I like resumes to be clear and concise, linkedin is big in the US, use that for your rambling historyIf a resume is more than 2 pages, I give upEveryday I get a pile dumped on my desk, it has already been vetted by HR, they look for keywords specific to the role, it may be a drag but customize yours to the job you're applying for, always include a cover letter, relevant experience, why you think you should get the rolePutting 'eligible for work' is a waste of time, they will check anywayThe assumption is you ARE eligibleWe only hire production workers through agencies, so if they are good we then hire directlyAlways remember there are a lot of unsuitable people applying for jobs, work hard on your resume/cover letter to get past a bored HR clerk
Sorry about formatting, not sure what is happening
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

In general I would not mention eligibility to work in US; but if OP's experience is all clearly in the UK, then there may be an assumption that this person is from UK and not eligible to work here, so I don't think it would do harm to throw in one line about eligibility. All depends on exactly how your resume reads.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

In general I would not mention eligibility to work in US; but if OP's experience is all clearly in the UK, then there may be an assumption that this person is from UK and not eligible to work here, so I don't think it would do harm to throw in one line about eligibility. All depends on exactly how your resume reads.
This is what hubby did while job hunting last year, and the corporate outplacement person agreed (all his career history was in the UK and Europe, with only the most recent job in the US). He had his intro profile paragraph, then below it, as a separate line, a sentence that included the words 'Permanent Resident' and 'Green Card' and 'can freely live and work throughout the US'.

Still didn't stop one company from paying to fly him in for a final interview for a job that was only open to US Citizens, mind you...
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:44 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
I like resumes to be clear and concise, linkedin is big in the US, use that for your rambling historyIf a resume is more than 2 pages, I give upEveryday I get a pile dumped on my desk, it has already been vetted by HR, they look for keywords specific to the role, it may be a drag but customize yours to the job you're applying for, always include a cover letter, relevant experience, why you think you should get the rolePutting 'eligible for work' is a waste of time, they will check anywayThe assumption is you ARE eligibleWe only hire production workers through agencies, so if they are good we then hire directlyAlways remember there are a lot of unsuitable people applying for jobs, work hard on your resume/cover letter to get past a bored HR clerk
Sorry about formatting, not sure what is happening
Dude... I think the 'full stop' button on your keyboard has died.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:45 am

This was exactly my experience - and at the advice of a recruiter, too.
Landed a great gig, so worked for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.