Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice for job hunting?

Advice for job hunting?

Old Feb 5th 2016, 10:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for job hunting?

Your qualifications probably mean nothing over here and would need to be done from scratch.

Best bet is networking and making contacts.

LinkedIn and join any relevant local groups and go to networking events.

If nothing else, it'll help you avoid the online application bin and get a chance to put your resume in front of someone who'll actually see it.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 10:03 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Thanks thinbrit!I have a bit of a gap in my resume as I was unable to work for nearly a year after I left the uk. I've never been too confident about how to go about explaining that gap.
I've kept my resume as simple as possible. Just company I work for, years employed, job title followed by bullet points of skills used.I didn't use an objective as it took up space and my American friends' resumes didn't have one.
Thanks once again, that has been the best advice yet.
If you are on good terms with your previous employer you can simply forward your end date to December 2015 to cover that gap and say simply you worked remote for them.

You can also put in you where traveling, doesn't sound that unlikely. Many things you can do to fill in that short gap that sound plausible.

Another idea is to say you where consulting.

indeed.com is a great site to search for jobs, they aggregate from many other job sites.

As someone said keeping your resume brief preferably one page with all the pertinent details from each previous job that pertains to the job you are applying for at the top of each list is very useful.

Say absolutely nothing about immigration or being authorised, as someone else pointed out, the employer will immediately think you need them to help with immigration and/or you are on a limited timeframe, neither is indicative of a good candidate.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 10:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard

Say absolutely nothing about immigration or being authorised, as someone else pointed out, the employer will immediately think you need them to help with immigration and/or you are on a limited timeframe, neither is indicative of a good candidate.
Depends.

If all your work experience is obviously at companies outside of the UK and areas of study/qualifications, to the point of omitting their addresses won't hide things, then it's worth stating you are here and you don't need sponsorship.

Though it's better in a cover letter and it's better if you get that in front of someone directly and avoid the online application of bin because the resume will go there anyway without local experience.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, quick update on my situation.

so I thought I was onto a winner the other day, rang a company up, spoke to the hr lady and impressed her enough that she said she would look out for my resume. Sadly come the following Monday, I received an email from the hr girl apologising and that the position had been filled the day we spoke but she was unaware of it.

Was a bit down upon reading that but I resolved to keep trying.It seems every cloud has a silver lining though as an email landed in my inbox about a job offer from a very well known company. I read the description and it sounded too good to be true, I honestly thought it was a scam. After some investigating, I decided the offer looked legit and replied.

A couple of phone calls later and hey presto i'm lined up with an interview!

i'm not getting my hopes up yet but this is a really fantastic opportunity. It's in my field and the pay is really good, I would have to relocate but ah well so be it.

obviously it's not a given but I think it would be kinda funny if after all those resumes I sent out, I landed a job because they contacted me.

One thing i'm worried about though, is that I was arrested (wrongly) for public drunkenness last year. No charges were filed and at my green card interview the uscis officer found no record of the arrest on his computer. Obviously I won't bring it up but if I get asked if I was ever arrested what shall I say?I believe honesty is the best policy but if no record of my arrest is available should I just keep my trap shut? Thanks guys.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never heard of that question being asked for a job.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Never heard of that question being asked for a job.
What Boiler said.

Somewhere in the application paperwork you might be asked if you have a criminal record, but other than that I'd stay schtum.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What Boiler said. Somewhere in the application paperwork you might be asked if you have a criminal record, but other than that I'd stay schtum.
Understood.
I was worried about being asked directly 'have you ever been arrested' but I guess the more likely phrasing would be 'do you have a criminal record?' which is obviously two different questions.
Hopefully I can soon join the ranks of 'those dirty immigrants that are taking our money and jobs and women'.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Understood.
I was worried about being asked directly 'have you ever been arrested' but I guess the more likely phrasing would be 'do you have a criminal record?' which is obviously two different questions.
Hopefully I can soon join the ranks of 'those dirty immigrants that are taking our money and jobs and women'.
Stick with the jobs and money.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with the jobs and money.
Certainly without the women you'll have more money to play with.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Certainly without the women you'll have more money to play with.
Well I was thinking that to reach the pinnacle of 'dirty immigrant', Those dizzying lows that mr trump characterises us by, you need to get a woman, who gets a job, who gives me money. simples.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:24 pm
Account Closed

Well I was thinking that to reach the pinnacle of 'dirty immigrant', Those dizzying lows that mr trump characterises us by, you need to get a woman, who gets a job, who gives me money. simples.
Did you walk in?
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:25 pm

Well I was thinking that to reach the pinnacle of 'dirty immigrant', Those dizzying lows that Mr Trump characterises us by, .....
Trump would know how important it is to snag an American spouse, given his choice of wives.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Did you walk in?
nah flew. I was just joking by the way before this gets out of hand, I should stop posting too as it's gone off topic.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

nah flew. I was just joking by the way before this gets out of hand, I should stop posting too as it's gone off topic.
Probably for the best, very frowned upon on here.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:33 pm

.... it's gone off topic.
What does that even mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.