Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You're awful! When you die, you're going to go to pergatory where you're stuck behind the short bus forever.My nephew was born with spinal muscular atrophy (a form of MD) and has been in a wheelchair since he was 10. He's rode the "short bus" until he got his driver's license & special van. Luckily, he's a genius and will probably do something great with his life when he's out of college.

My kids could be carriers and not know it. They both know they should have a karyotype done before they procreate.
I know. I repulse myself. I'm flogging myself as we speak.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:28 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I know. I repulse myself. I'm flogging myself as we speak.
Good girl.

I guess it's safe to leave school and go home now....the buses are all off the local roads so I won't have to worry about flashing lights, cops, and slick roads.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Dec 3rd 2008 at 7:31 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:31 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a ***ing idiot, I guess it's not. You can't help yourself, because you're mentally deranged.
My goodness - you're on fine form today, aren't you!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Good girl.

I guess it's safe to leave school and go home now....the buses are all off the local roads so I won't have to worry about flashing lights, cops, and slick roads.
School buses were invented to inconvenience the tourists.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't we establish that he's not a tourist anymore?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by meauxna
Didn't we establish that he's not a tourist anymore?
insert <immigrant>
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Is the UK a country? I thought it was a group of countries united. Seems like the UKanian made the first mistake.
It's recognised as the usual abbreviation for the full title of our island and its dominions
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:11 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Irony - I left my school over an hour after dismissal and at least a 1/2 hour after the elementary dismissal. I still got stuck behind a bus from my city's school (I teach 6.5 mi from home but it is in a different school district) because the high school doesn't let out there until 3:20....and it was raining.

However, I was traveling at the appropriate speed for the conditions at the time and had no problem stopping when the YELLOW lights started flashing and was well stopped before the red lights came on and the stop sign came out.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's interesting actually, the Oregon laws seem to be worded to *exclude* people from claiming residency here (thank the super duper low registration fees for that) vs NYS which seemed a broad enough net to *include* as many as possible (for more fee generation?). NYS says 90 days of staying in the state; Oregon says 6 months.
I didn't come across the exclusion for Europeans yet.
Unless I read it wrong when I got here the 6 months is one way of deciding residency, but if you are resident then you must apply for an OR license within 30 days (I can't find the 30 days now but I'm sure that is what I read when I got here). But if you pay OR income tax or have registered your children in an OR public school as examples you are deemed a resident without the 6 months of living here.

The "exclusion" for Europeans comes from the reciprocal agreements signed between the US Federal Government and the countries of the EU as to how each others driving licenses will be accepted in the other countries. The agreements are more or less standard and the general principle is if you move from one country to another you can be resident for 12 months before needing a new license. I fully appreciate that the individual States makes their own rules re licenses but they should be bound by the international agreements, if they are not it makes a nonsense for any other country having an agreement with the USA. I also appreciate that some States choose to ignore these agreements which makes the whole topic a minefield and what happens in practice is what people have to go by.

I took this from the OR DMV web site

The United States signed an agreement with many other countries to honor a foreign driver license for visitors to the United States for up to one year from the date of arrival. This privilege is made possible as a result of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic (Geneva, 1949), and the Convention on the Regulation of American Automotive Traffic (Washington, 1943), both of which have been ratified by the United States.

I know in that paragraph it says visitors, but when I was at police training school many years ago we were told that under those conventions you were classed as a "visitor" until one year had passed from your date of entry into the country.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:12 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Thydney
It's recognised as the usual abbreviation for the full title of our island and its dominions
Yes, I know. But it's not the name of a single country was my point. I was being nasty.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I used to use a road, with a 25mph limit, with a sidewalk, to get to work. Even with the sidewalk the bus stopped at every house with a kid. Why they hell couldn't they walk 100 feet to all catch the bus from the same place. :curse:
Heck, I had to walk 15 mintutes to the bustop when I was in middle school. it was the only one in the neighborhood, even though the school was only about 5miles away. I can feel your pain. I see it myself, and think how spoiled rotten the kids are. If there ain't nothing wrong with them, they need to learn to use their feet and legs, ya know! Evolution gave them to us for a reason.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I know in that paragraph it says visitors, but when I was at police training school many years ago we were told that under those conventions you were classed as a "visitor" until one year had passed from your date of entry into the country.
That's the last bit I stumbled over before I had to give up earlier.. I landed on 'visitor' too but never heard the 'one year' thing to go with it.
I had been searching specifically for Germany because that was the only foreign license besides Canada that could be swapped straight out for an Oregon license when DH came over in 02.

again, I couldn't help but see in the Oregon writing, a slant toward who can NOT be considered a resident instead of so worried about who they say IS a resident. You might've known that OR got quite a national reputation for being the place to get a DL if you were undocumented.. again, the verbiage seems slanted toward excluding those people.

Glad I don't have to be personally concerned about it any more (til I import the next foreign husband I guess) but I did have my own license out for something yesterday that required its expiration date.. I'll be the first in the fam to go test out the new renewal procedure where I'll have to prove my citizenship.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I know. But it's not the name of a single country was my point.
It may as well be, considering the other 'countries' like Wales and Northern Ireland don't elect their own Prez or Prime Minister. Until Wales, Scotland and NI secede from the UK and form their own gov'ts, the UK is a country hon.

You seem in a right bad mood today. Have a bad day in school?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
It may as well be, considering the other 'countries' like Wales and Northern Ireland don't elect their own Prez or Prime Minister. Until Wales, Scotland and NI secede from the UK and form their own gov'ts, the UK is a country hon.
Bet a lot of Welshies and Scotties (not to mention Northern Irish!) will disagree with this !

Where is Sarah Palin and her rapier geographical knowledge when you need it?!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

You seem in a right bad mood today. Have a bad day in school?
I'd consider the UK to be a state that's comprised of multiple countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.