Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by md95065
I often wonder how many billions of dollars are wasted every year by having 50 separate legislatures creating 50 sets of slightly different laws to address exactly the same issues, but I guess that is the price of "freedom" ...
Or the whole point of why the United States was set up the way it was.

Driving laws differ much from, France to Germany for example?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said - every f***ing state just has to be different

I often wonder how many billions of dollars are wasted every year by having 50 separate legislatures creating 50 sets of slightly different laws to address exactly the same issues, but I guess that is the price of "freedom" ...
I left turned in front of a stopped school bus once and got beeped at; I only thought I had to stop if I was going straight past it. Who knows?!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:30 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickybrit
For your information I actually drove kids to school and back in England once upon a time. I picked them up from outside of their home and dropped them off outside of their home on their side of the road. I didn't have any fancy lights or tiny stop signs. I would not drop any kid off on the opposite side of a 40mph road, it is far too easy for me to turn around and drop him/her off on their side of the road then they don't have to cross any road.

Yes, I do have a mistrust of Yellow School bus drivers, ever since I watched a documentary about a Yellow School bus driver of whom kidnapped some students, Freddie something was the chaps name.
They have the same FBI check/fingerprinted as teachers and new immigrants do.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but we make all of that money back giving bewildered foreigners traffic tickets. A cunning plan you must admit.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
Also quite often the out of state requirements to get a DL are not always the same as the international requirements. Everything in MD suggested I had 90 days, but when I spoke to people at the MVA they told me I had a year.
This is the same in Oregon.

If you are a resident in another State and move to OR you must get an OR license in 30 days. If you are resident overseas and move to OR the Oregon DMV says whatever the reciprocal agreement is with the country you came from. In the case of the UK in Oregon they said my license was good for 12 months. However the OR DMV manual just says if you become a resident you have 30 days.

Just about all the various DMV rule books just say when you become a resident assuming the world starts and ends on the east and west coasts. If asked specifically about people coming from overseas some States have a different requirement, you just have to find someone with the knowledge there is a difference and to look up the requirements.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 3rd 2008 at 6:45 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This is the same in Oregon.

If you are a resident in another State and move to OR you must get an OR license in 30 days. If you are resident overseas and move to OR the Oregon DMV says whatever the reciprocal agreement is with the country you came from. In the case of the UK in Oregon they said my license was good for 12 months. However the OR DMV manual just says if you become a resident you have 30 days.

Just about all the various DMV rule books just say when you become a resident assuming the world starts and ends on the east and west coasts. If asked specifically about people coming from overseas some States have a different requirement, you just have to find someone with the knowledge there is a difference and to look up the requirements.
But the NYS site is clear on when one becomes a 'resident'. I haven't looked at Oregon lately. Since we only just now started requiring a SSN, there wasn't much excuse for not getting one ASAP before.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
But the NYS site is clear on when one becomes a 'resident'. I haven't looked at Oregon lately. Since we only just now started requiring a SSN, there wasn't much excuse for not getting one ASAP before.
The Oregon one is very much on a par with the NYS definition. But when specially asked that definition didn't apply to people arriving from the UK, or for that matter anywhere in the EU.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:00 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickybrit
Well I'm sure most people become aware of being followed by a police car and I'm sure most people would prefer anything other than a police car following them. Nevertheless I was driving pretty good and focused, I think I have been very unlucky. Yes the cop carried on following me so he probably thought it was the best choice to not slam on the breaks too.

What gets me is its a 3 mile stretch of road at 40mph mostly straight, open grassland on one side of the road and large lawned houses on the other. For the sake of health and safety why doesnt the bus turn around and let kids get off on the lawned house side of the road where they live ( no crossing the road), rather than making them get off on the open grass land side, whereby they have to cross the two lanes of a 40mph road.
And it uses too much gas which schools do not have to waste...I would rather have my kid walk across the road than be in an overcrowded classroom because a teacher had to be let go for budget reasons. And, the bus probably has another load of kids to pick up from another school in the district...most districts run 2 schedules one for the jr/sr high and a later (or earlier) one for the elementary kids.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Bob
school bus driver got sacked for letting a kid off for miss behaving in the middle of a busy main road recently not far from where I am...some of the worst drivers around as well, which is pretty amusing, but then they're all contractors around here...almost as bad as minivan drivers
Big difference if they are contractors....they hire the cheapest they can find. I know it was the 'thing' to do back in the late 80s into the 90s to cut costs. Many schools got hurt in the long run by it (IMO). The majority of schools in my area (except for the inner city) own their buses/have their own transportation dept. and train/hire/interrogate/fingerprint/FBI check their own drivers. I have great respect for them doing what they do. I couldn't do it.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:09 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by fatbrit
LOL!

Reminds me of the story in the immigration forums where someone wrote "UK" in the space on vthe form for "Country of Birth" and their green card came back with "Place of Birth: Unknown" written on it!
Is the UK a country? I thought it was a group of countries united. Seems like the UKanian made the first mistake.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:11 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
You were doing 40mph in a 40mph zone in the rain with slippery (as you described them) road conditions - with a cop behind you.

You drive past a bus with it's flashers on, and you haven't got the required licence, considering your resident in the states.

Firstly, 40 in a 40 in slippy conditions will lead to exactly what happened to you, the 40mph aint a min, it's a max - no cop will pull you for driving under the speed limit in the rain.

The court will think you didn't know you had to stop for the bus, as you havn't bothered to take the NYS driving test, which is why they insist you take one once you become resident.
Right on target.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
The Oregon one is very much on a par with the NYS definition. But when specially asked that definition didn't apply to people arriving from the UK, or for that matter anywhere in the EU.
It's interesting actually, the Oregon laws seem to be worded to *exclude* people from claiming residency here (thank the super duper low registration fees for that) vs NYS which seemed a broad enough net to *include* as many as possible (for more fee generation?). NYS says 90 days of staying in the state; Oregon says 6 months.
I didn't come across the exclusion for Europeans yet.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:22 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oh God. I'm so evil and I know I shall be struck down dead by GOD but I'm seriously cracking up here.

Please tell me he's physically challenged too? Is he in a wheelchair? Does he limp? Or at least have a hitch in his git-a-long?
You're awful! When you die, you're going to go to pergatory where you're stuck behind the short bus forever.

My nephew was born with spinal muscular atrophy (a form of MD) and has been in a wheelchair since he was 10. He's rode the "short bus" until he got his driver's license & special van. Luckily, he's a genius and will probably do something great with his life when he's out of college.

My kids could be carriers and not know it. They both know they should have a karyotype done before they procreate.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:24 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by tonrob
Is it bad to hurl swear words at children, even if they can't hear you because your windows are all shut?
If you're a ***ing idiot, I guess it's not. You can't help yourself, because you're mentally deranged.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:26 pm
Queen of my house

Really! And what about the EU...that's a bunch crap too, isn't it. Why can't every country be the same over there, drive on the same side of the road, speak the same language (sure would be easier for me), have the same kind of cuisine. It would be great for us Yanks when we visit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.