Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: Ive just been stopped by the police.

Originally Posted by Rete

Jim and I bowled on a team one year where one of our members daughter died when she cross in front of the stopped, yellow light flashing, stop sign out school bus and was hit by a car who continued driving around the stopped bus.
That's so awful. And exactly why the law exists.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I get stuck behind school buses on an almost daily basis. What irks me is that the parents wait with their kids up their driveways way back from the road and then will slowly amble towards the bus only one it's come to a complete stop. Takes an age and complete safety overkill IMHO. Even when they see the bus coming (because it's just stopped 2 houses away) they won't even move slightly towards the road.

We also have complete overkill when it comes to lollipop ladies in our town. Every flippin' street corner! (And they park illegally as they can't be arsed walking an extra 20 feet to where they're supposed to stand).

How on earth kids are meant to learn to think for themselves when it comes to road safety with the sheer amount of cotton wool that's being wrapped around them is beyond me.

Rant over :curse:
I used to use a road, with a 25mph limit, with a sidewalk, to get to work. Even with the sidewalk the bus stopped at every house with a kid. Why they hell couldn't they walk 100 feet to all catch the bus from the same place. :curse:

I've given up on the shortcut on my current commute, because of a woman who insists on having a 10 minute chat with the bus driver every day (in her pajamas I might add).
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:22 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

The bus picks up a mentally challenged child and it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to get that child into the bus and we have to sit while the mother helps him onto the bus.
Oh God. I'm so evil and I know I shall be struck down dead by GOD but I'm seriously cracking up here.

Please tell me he's physically challenged too? Is he in a wheelchair? Does he limp? Or at least have a hitch in his git-a-long?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:39 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I used to use a road, with a 25mph limit, with a sidewalk, to get to work. Even with the sidewalk the bus stopped at every house with a kid. Why they hell couldn't they walk 100 feet to all catch the bus from the same place. :curse:

I've given up on the shortcut on my current commute, because of a woman who insists on having a 10 minute chat with the bus driver every day (in her pajamas I might add).
Is it bad to hurl swear words at children, even if they can't hear you because your windows are all shut?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:40 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Is it bad to hurl swear words at children, even if they can't hear you because your windows are all shut?
It's not the fault of the children, so it wouldn't be right to direct the abuse towards them.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:43 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the fault of the children, so it wouldn't be right to direct the abuse towards them.
Oh I'm not discriminatory. I hurl abuse at everyone I see on the way to work.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You stop no matter if you are behind the bus or coming towards the bus from the front (opposite side of the road). You stop at their yellow flashing lights, not just at the stop sign that protrudes from the driver's side of the bus.
Not according to California Vehicle Code Section 22454 which is what I believe applies to Steerpike.

That indicates that you have to stop for a flashing red light (and is completely silent about yellow flashing lights).

Also you don't have to stop if you are on the other side of a divided or multiple lane highway where "multiple lane highway" means any road with two or more lanes in each direction (and around my area that means pretty much everything other than residential side streets).

Once again I suspect that while all states have some kind of law like this, every one is different in the precise details ...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Oh God. I'm so evil and I know I shall be struck down dead by GOD but I'm seriously cracking up here.

Please tell me he's physically challenged too? Is he in a wheelchair? Does he limp? Or at least have a hitch in his git-a-long?

No physical handicapped. He has Downes Syndrome.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Not according to California Vehicle Code Section 22454 which is what I believe applies to Steerpike.

That indicates that you have to stop for a flashing red light (and is completely silent about yellow flashing lights).

Also you don't have to stop if you are on the other side of a divided or multiple lane highway where "multiple lane highway" means any road with two or more lanes in each direction (and around my area that means pretty much everything other than residential side streets).

Once again I suspect that while all states have some kind of law like this, every one is different in the precise details ...

Not in California and our lanes our two lanes, one going and one coming ... I'm usually going
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:00 pm
Concierge

This is the NYS law:

It is illegal - and very dangerous - to pass a stopped school bus when the large red lights located on top of the bus are flashing. Flashing lights mean the bus is picking up or discharging students.

You must stop whether you are approaching the school bus from the front or overtaking it from the rear.

You must always stop for flashing red lights, even on divided and multilane highways and on school grounds.

The first-time fine for illegally passing a school bus is a $250 fine, 5 points on your license, and/or possibly 30 days in jail.

However, our busses in the area do not have right lights but yellow and the stop sign on the drivers side window.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:06 pm
Not here much

This is the NYS law:

It is illegal - and very dangerous - to pass a stopped school bus when the large red lights located on top of the bus are flashing. Flashing lights mean the bus is picking up or discharging students.

You must stop whether you are approaching the school bus from the front or overtaking it from the rear.

You must always stop for flashing red lights, even on divided and multilane highways and on school grounds.

The first-time fine for illegally passing a school bus is a $250 fine, 5 points on your license, and/or possibly 30 days in jail.

However, our busses in the area do not have right lights but yellow and the stop sign on the drivers side window.
In NJ, you're supposed to slow down to 10mph if you're on the other side of a divided highway.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ, you're supposed to slow down to 10mph if you're on the other side of a divided highway.
Like I said - every f***ing state just has to be different

I often wonder how many billions of dollars are wasted every year by having 50 separate legislatures creating 50 sets of slightly different laws to address exactly the same issues, but I guess that is the price of "freedom" ...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickybrit
"Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS".

Does this mean my UK license is good to drive in NYS?

"You must show a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible".

I don't have a social security card, in my NYS driving handbook it says I don't need to get a NYS license for upto a year.
Are you a permanent resident (green card holder)? In Ohio, my DH drove on his British license for 6 months until he got his green card. Technically, I guess he wasn't a permanent resident yet....he was just visiting me for a very long time.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:15 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickybrit
Driving along a 40mph stretch of road followed by police car, low light ( lights on) wet road/raining. So I'm driving pretty good, then a school bus driving on the opposite side of the road coming towards me decides to put flashing lights on. Now there is no safe way for me to slam my brakes on, risk sliding or being hit in the back by police car, so all clear I drives on.

The school bus honks its horn as I pass ( talk about stitching me up), cop car puts its lights on and i pull over.

"Do you know why I stooped you?"

No I replied, he says its because of the bus. I wasnt going to argue about safe stopping distances etc.

Anyway he says hes going to give me a ticket for that and my UK credit size driving license is not international, so its no good it does not say internationl license on it and i need a New York sate one. I'm not allowed to drive any more.

Is a UK credit size driving license good to drive in New York? I have read that I only need a NYS license after a year of living here.
Major mistake.....not stopping for a school bus. That was the number one emphasized law I remembered from driver's ed. When DH started driving here it was the first thing I started drumming into his head. From my experience, the yellow lights always flash first to give oncoming traffic a chance to slow down, then the red lights come on and then the stop sign pops out. It is a big deal in Ohio, and your word means squat against a busdriver's. Many buses hear have cameras that catch your license number...I know someone that got a ticket that way (even though the driver's word is as good as gold in court).
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

No physical handicapped. He has Downes Syndrome.
My God. I used to live on the same street as a quadriplegic girl who had many other physical and mental developmental problems and it only took them about 5 mins to get her off and on the bus. It still seemed like an eternity when my car would get stuck behind that bus though - and it somehow even worse because I was less than a block from my house but COULD NOT PASS THAT BUS. Every day, the parents and the 3 or 4 "normal" siblings would all run out there to greet her when the bus brought her home. The whole family would crowd around her and hug her and kiss her like they hadn't seen her in a month. It was pretty amazing to watch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.