Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of status from H-1B - checklist

Adjustment of status from H-1B - checklist

Old May 6th 2012, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adjustment of status from H-1B - checklist

Hi all,
I've been in the US on an H-1B work visa for three years. My USC wife and I are about to concurrently file an I-130 and apply for adjustment of status. Here's what we're sending - it may be useful for others, and we'd appreciate any feedback on things missing or unnecessary.

Dear USCIS,
Please find enclosed a concurrently filed immediate relative petition and application to adjust status for Henry Lastname (alien beneficiary), husband of Allegra Double-barreled (US citizen petitioner).

Contents:
  • Check for $1490 to cover filing fees for I-485, I-130 and biometric fee

• G-1145, e-notification of application/petition acceptance

• I-130, petition for spouse of US Citizen
    G-325a for Henry Lastname (beneficiary)
    Photograph of Henry Lastname (beneficiary)
    G-325a for Allegra Double-Barreled (US Citizen sponsor)
    Photograph of Allegra Double-Barreled (US Citizen sponsor)
    Proof of sponsor's US Citizenship:
    Copy of Allegra Double-Barreled's US passport
    Copy of Allegra Double-Barreled's US birth certificate (Arizona)
    Proof of family relationship:
    Copy of marriage certificate
    Additional supporting evidence of bona fide marital relationship:
    Record of 250+ emails
    Record of 500+ phone calls and text messages
    Passport stamp from Allegra's visit to Henry's family in UK
    Six photographs of Allegra and Henry as a couple during dating and from wedding
    Photocopy of engagement card from Henry's parents
    Car insurance certificate (jointly insured at same address)
  • I-485, Application to adjust status
    Two photographs of Henry Lastname
    (No criminal history other than minor traffic fines, so no criminal history evidence submitted)
    Copy of U.K. birth certificate
    Copy of I-94 showing entry on April 12th 2012 in H-1B status
    Copy of passport page with H-1B nonimmigrant visa
    Copy of I-797C, approval notice for H-1B petition
    Copy of U.K. passport biographic information page
    Copy of social security card
    Copy of expired J-1 visa and DS-2019 from 2007 showing no 2-year home residence requirement

• I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, in sealed envelope

• I-864EZ, Affidavit of support
    Statement of Earnings from Awesome University showing sponsor's earnings consistent with gross annual income of $27250
    2011 W-2 from sponsor's employer, Awesome University
    2011 Form 1040EZ, sponsor's federal income tax return

• I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
    Proof of identity: copy of H-1B visa and California driver's license

• I-131, Application for travel document (advance parole)
    Proof of identity: copy of H-1B visa and California driver's license

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there are any questions.

Yours truly,

Henry Lastname and Allegra Double-Barreled
Old May 7th 2012, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of status from H-1B - checklist

Originally Posted by henryh
... husband of Allegra Double-barreled (US citizen petitioner).
I think more parents should give their children great names like this! Alas, such creativity is largely lost these days!

Additional supporting evidence of bona fide marital relationship:
* Six photographs of Allegra and Henry as a couple during dating and from wedding
* Photocopy of engagement card from Henry's parents
While the dating photos and engagement card show an ongoing relationship, they don't demonstrate an ongoing marital relationship.

I-864EZ, Affidavit of support
You should be prepared to show 3 years' worth of tax returns at your interview. Indeed, some would advise including 3 years' worth of returns with the package.

Otherwise, it seems pretty comprehensive!

Ian
Old May 7th 2012, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just to note, you are NOT AOS from H-1B but AOSing based on marriage to a US Citizen. Big difference. With AOSing based on marriage you will not have to wait for adjustment of status as you would if you applied through your employer for adjustment of status.
Old May 7th 2012, 3:53 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong and right.

He is adjusting status from H-1B, his current immigration status.

And he is adjusting based on marriage to a US citizen.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Just to note, you are NOT AOS from H-1B but AOSing based on marriage to a US Citizen. Big difference. With AOSing based on marriage you will not have to wait for adjustment of status as you would if you applied through your employer for adjustment of status.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While the dating photos and engagement card show an ongoing relationship, they don't demonstrate an ongoing marital relationship.
The marital relationship is less than a week old, so the evidence of that is limited at the moment, but we will be sure to collect some before the interview.

You should be prepared to show 3 years' worth of tax returns at your interview. Indeed, some would advise including 3 years' worth of returns with the package.
Thanks - we'll work on getting transcripts for those. I think the earnings statement (similar to a pay stub) from my wife's employer along with the most recent 1090 and W-2 should be convincing enough for now.

Any reference on the need for the 2010 and 2009 returns? Are they commonly requested in the interview appointment letter, or as an RFE? The I-864EZ instructions seem pretty clear that such returns are optional. In our case I expect they would be of limited utility anyway, since they are from when my wife was an undergraduate student and they show less than $5000 gross income.

Otherwise, it seems pretty comprehensive!

Ian
Jolly good - sent it off USPS priority mail this morning.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for posting this information! I am about to start the same process, so it's nice to see a list of precisely which forms I need to download and complete. I'm a UKC married to a USC and want to adjust status from H1-B also. We just had our 2nd anniversary, so that should make things simpler.

One area I am a little unclear on is the income declared for my USC wife in I-864EZ (Affidavit of support). I am the main earner and she works part-time, so I'm hoping she meets the minimum requirement (we still need to calculate precisely how much she has earned recently, as her workload varies by teaching semester). Out of interest, if she were not to make the minimum requirement, would they consider joint assets like savings etc?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ferrino
Thanks very much for posting this information! I am about to start the same process, so it's nice to see a list of precisely which forms I need to download and complete. I'm a UKC married to a USC and want to adjust status from H1-B also. We just had our 2nd anniversary, so that should make things simpler.
It doesn't make your current AOS any simpler. All it means is that you should get a 10-year green card and won't have to remove conditions in two years.

One area I am a little unclear on is the income declared for my USC wife in I-864EZ (Affidavit of support). I am the main earner and she works part-time, so I'm hoping she meets the minimum requirement (we still need to calculate precisely how much she has earned recently, as her workload varies by teaching semester). Out of interest, if she were not to make the minimum requirement, would they consider joint assets like savings etc?
If using assets, I'm not sure you can still use the EZ form. But in general, on an I-864, joint assets are allowed, yes. The asset value must be 3x what is lacking in income, and must be able to be liquidated within 12 months without hardship to the USC. Cash in the bank works best.

Your income, if you will keep the same job after you become a US PR, can also be counted on the I-864 as a contributing household member.

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it will - no conditional PR status so no removal of conditions 2 years hence.
We just had our 2nd anniversary, so that should make things simpler.
Yes. But she will be using I-864, not I-864EZ.
... if she were not to make the minimum requirement, would they consider joint assets like savings etc?
Regards, JEff
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ferrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond reputeFerrino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the speedy replies all! When I said "simpler", I meant that we wouldn't have to go through the process of removing conditions after 2 years.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:25 pm

It helps to say what you mean. As you've seen here sometimes people can correctly guess what you mean, sometimes they can't. If you want to keep things simple, don't make people have to guess. When USCIS or consular officers have to guess, it can really screw things up.

Regards, JEff

When I said "simpler", I meant that we wouldn't have to go through the process of removing conditions after 2 years.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'd just like to pop in and say thanks very much to henry for posting this checklist. I used in my application for AOS (through marriage to a USC), which is currently being processed.

I had a quick question. About 2 weeks ago I had my Biometrics appointment, but have not heard any more from the USCIS. I presume I am now just waiting for an appointment for the interview? Thanks.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick question. About 2 weeks ago I had my Biometrics appointment, but have not heard any more from the USCIS. I presume I am now just waiting for an appointment for the interview? Thanks.
Correct.

Rene
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

You might receive your EAD/AP before you get the interview appointment, or you might not - it's a separate parallel process from the adjustment of status, so the relative timeline isn't fixed. Glad the checklist was useful! I received my green card in August, 123 days after applying.

Last edited by henryh; Nov 7th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou Noorah.

And congratulations Henry :-)