Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Question Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Hello,

I'm looking to see which would be the better place for me to look at living out of these two, and feel free to add in your own suggestions for other areas in NH state. I've already looked at some threads but would rather have a fresh perspective on things. And sorry for a long-thread (the more info the better I say).

Its been a while since I posted. I have been interested in seeing if there are any better places to spend the rest of my life than where I currently am.
I still have plans to visit Canada (particuarly Ottawa and Kingston).

I looked at America as a place to live a few years back and narrowed it down to Fort Collins. Two years later I looked again and added Portsmouth to the list. When I say 'looked', I mean researched and I did a lot of research when looking at places to live, as I did before moving to Australia and New Zealand back in 2008. When I visit the US and don't find anywhere better it certainly is the UK for me.

I use my own strict criteria when looking at places:

- has to be close to a large major city (when I mean large 600k+ pop. is fine with me and not NY size - that's just topo big for me).

- the nearby large city should not be ranked on any high crime rate lists (the lower the better)

- the nearby large city should not look like a dump

- there must be good clothes shopping also in the area (within 1hr drive and not only in the nearby learge city)

- the town or city I may want to live (fort collins for example) must be beautiful and have good architecture

- there must be parks nearby

- Restaurants, cafes and bars on a waterfront is a bonus

- there must be good job propects nearby (ideally within 30min drive). Social Housing sector is what I work in.

- low crime rates

- good air quality

- affordable house prices

- pop. of the place I want to live must not be less than 20k.

I like in NH that there are less taxes to pay so that's a bonus. The one big thing that puts me off Portsmouth, well two in fact, house prices and lack of job prospects unless I travel to Boston or Manchester. One big thing, well two actually that puts me off Fort Collins is poor clothes shopping and isolation.

Any suggestions or comments?

Last edited by Jay-Producer; Nov 6th 2012 at 1:36 pm. Reason: Job Prospects clarified
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

So you want to live in a large city with a low crime rate, low house prices, low taxes, and good air quality. Hmmm, I don't see any problem in satisfying that wish list.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What's the visa situation or are people going to waste their time?

Portsmouth ain't a bad city, but crime rates are kind of meaningless tbh, there's great areas and bad areas and if you look at Boston, somethings on paper are horrid, but it's not really in reality.

As for shopping, irrelevant, there's the internet these days, but it's close to Portland, ME and Freeport next door.....which is a fun city to look at. Not cheap, but it's cheaper than Boston.

As for jobs, well unless you're a USC, probably no prospects, especially in anything social services related.

Sure there's no income or sales tax in NH, but they make up for it by having really high property taxes. Manchester, NH, it's Manch-Vegas...a bit of a student shit hole. Fun enough for a day visit, barely, but not really.

No idea how it compares to CO. If you want low cost of housing, with decent air conditions, on the coast, with nice parks. You're probably better off picking a town along Rt1A anywhere from Portland to Bar Harbor in Maine. Better job prospects the further south you are, like Portland itself.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are outlet stores in Loveland. Just a few minutes down I 25.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:33 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Do you prefer lobsters to prairie oysters?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So you want to live in a large city with a low crime rate, low house prices, low taxes, and good air quality. Hmmm, I don't see any problem in satisfying that wish list.

Where did I say I wanted to live in a large city? I said near a large city not in one. I wouldn't want to live in anywhere bigger than 300k population as I'm more used to smaller places.

There are lots of town and smaller cities with low crime rate statistics and good air quality in the area, sot hat is possible. Some have decent house prices and I didn't say low I said affordable.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
What's the visa situation or are people going to waste their time?

Portsmouth ain't a bad city, but crime rates are kind of meaningless tbh, there's great areas and bad areas and if you look at Boston, somethings on paper are horrid, but it's not really in reality.

As for shopping, irrelevant, there's the internet these days, but it's close to Portland, ME and Freeport next door.....which is a fun city to look at. Not cheap, but it's cheaper than Boston.

As for jobs, well unless you're a USC, probably no prospects, especially in anything social services related.

Sure there's no income or sales tax in NH, but they make up for it by having really high property taxes. Manchester, NH, it's Manch-Vegas...a bit of a student shit hole. Fun enough for a day visit, barely, but not really.

No idea how it compares to CO. If you want low cost of housing, with decent air conditions, on the coast, with nice parks. You're probably better off picking a town along Rt1A anywhere from Portland to Bar Harbor in Maine. Better job prospects the further south you are, like Portland itself.
Im not sure what you mean by visa situation. I wouldnt apply for a visa to a country unless I was certain I wanted to move their.

I wouldn't say crime rates are meaningless to me - I would not want to live in Phili for example as that is crime ridden and full of gangs. Boston was not horrible on paper compaired to a lot of other cities of crime rates per 100k. I did my reserach and Boston I have visited before so wouldn't mind lving near it to go and visit on occassions or work their. I wouldn't be living their anyway. Cities near Madison came out far worse for crime rates than Boston for example and I had Madison on my list. I don't want to travel to a crime ridden city and Boston thankfully is no where near as bad as lots of other cities in the US according to stats I looked up on 3 different websites to get a good comparison.

Shopping might be irrelivent to you but I actually like to go to a physical shop now and again rather than a virtual one. :0) I wouldn't want to go to Portland as thats too far and a small city, Manchester has an adequate shopping mall (only 1hr away from Portsmouth) as does Salem, plus there is Boston which I assume would be better for shopping than Portland.

Portland area is rather isolated so I would want to keep away from that end. What is USC? I didnt say social services I said social housing which is completely different. Only older persons housing would come under social services I assume. Housing Associations (most) would not come in contact with social services I'd assume.

Thanks for all your input, hope I clarified a few things though
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
There are outlet stores in Loveland. Just a few minutes down I 25.

When you say outlets are there any decent malls as I know in Fort Collins their one is dreadful. There were talks about them building a new one two years ago but I dont think that came to surface.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I was also looking at Merrimack and Salem. I took at look at Derry also but couldn't find any photos of that town. I'm not sure how Salem looks either and it seems to be just a place to go for some fun and shopping rather than live. Merrimack looks pretty in places but not enough pictures to know really what it's like. Merrimack is close to lots of cities for job prospects as is Salem and Derry. Rochdale looked really nice but is somewhat isolated and too far from Boston or Manchester for work.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
Im not sure what you mean by visa situation. I wouldnt apply for a visa to a country unless I was certain I wanted to move their.
But, with respect, it seems you're doing the same thing you did with the Canada forum - endlessly researching areas and statistics, without actually looking at whether you're eligible for a visa in the first place!

The US is much, much tougher to get in to than Canada, so I'd suggest you look at that first. Particularly as you're being so specific on towns, but if your only option is going to be an employment based visa, then it's very unlikely you'll be able to find a sponsoring employer in the one place you've chosen anyway!

If you've looked at visa options and are definitely eligible for one, then fair enough, but otherwise it's just a waste of your time and everybody else's too.

Old Nov 7th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But, with respect, it seems you're doing the same thing you did with the Canada forum - endlessly researching areas and statistics, without actually looking at whether you're eligible for a visa in the first place!

The US is much, much tougher to get in to than Canada, so I'd suggest you look at that first. Particularly as you're being so specific on towns, but if your only option is going to be an employment based visa, then it's very unlikely you'll be able to find a sponsoring employer in the one place you've chosen anyway!

If you've looked at visa options and are definitely eligible for one, then fair enough, but otherwise it's just a waste of your time and everybody else's too.

Visa requirements change in some places over time so Im not going to research that until closer to the time. I did briefly look into it and it seemed easier than Canada for me, so I'm somewhat confused why it would be more difficult than Canada. It's the place I want to live thats most important - If I cant get a visa at the time then I wont ever be going to live their. Its not endless researching as I will be visiting the places I have narrowed the research down to. As I did with OZ and NZ. Employment based visa is the way I would go down and If I didn't find work in that region I wanted to live then I wouldn't move. In anycase I wont know until closer to the time so its not wasting people time as with that kind of visa It has to be closer to the time of moving rather than applying years in advance. I'd rather be picky and happy than unhappy just to get into the US.

Thanks for the input. Its peace of mind knowing if I visit a place I may want to live and don't end up liking that's fine and if I cant get a visa for aplace I really like that's fine also, but at least I will know if somewhere is better than the UK. I cant do endless research on Visa's as that criteria can change in 3-5 years from now when I move (if I do) as can the employment market.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Visa requirements change in some places over time so Im not going to research that until closer to the time. I did briefly look into it and it seemed easier than Canada for me, so I'm somewhat confused why it would be more difficult than Canada.
As an example, as you say it would be an employment based visa and you'd need a job offer, I assume you'd move to the US on a H1B. For that, not only must you have a degree (or the equivalent experience), but the job must also need a degree, and there are a set number of visas available each year which in the past have gone quickly when the program opens (1st April), for a 1st October start. Add to that the $5k or so it'll cost the employer to apply for the visa for you.

Compare that to Canada, where it costs the employer nothing, has no minimum educational requirements, is much quicker and you can start at any time of year, and you can see why Canada would usually be much easier for a job offer based visa. Plus it has other benefits such as both partners usually being able to work (whereas on a H1B, your partner would get a H4 visa, and not be able to work).

What do you and your wife/partner do? The forum pros will be able to tell you if it's realistic that you'd get a H1B for it.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 7th 2012 at 11:03 am.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I cant do endless research on Visa's as that criteria can change in 3-5 years from now when I move (if I do) as can the employment market.
While the employment market can change in 3-5 years, visa requirements haven't changed all that much in the past 15 years. Respectfully, people here aren't your personal research slaves... why should they put themselves out if you don't even know whether or not you'd qualify for a visa? Complete waste of everyone's time!

Ian
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:55 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

I cant do endless research on Visa's as that criteria can change in 3-5 years from now when I move (if I do) as can the employment market.
And the little township you've selected can't change at all in 3-5 years...

Sigh.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
While the employment market can change in 3-5 years, visa requirements haven't changed all that much in the past 15 years. Respectfully, people here aren't your personal research slaves... why should they put themselves out if you don't even know whether or not you'd qualify for a visa? Complete waste of everyone's time!

Ian
Im a bit confused, what research did I ask for anyone to do? I have done my research and knowing about wether I get a visa is for me to be concerned about. If I want advise on Visa's I'll ask in a seperate thread, this is not about this.

I only asked for some comments on the two places I narrowed my own research down to, that's all.

Why would I look at the current visa strucutrue in great detail when I have no idea how the employment market will look like in a couple of years if the type of visa I go for will be determined on the employment market and I have no idea on the place I may want to move out to. I did not mention anything to do with visas in this thread so why everyone keeps bringing it up is a bit strange when I only want to have a look at visiting these places first of all. I had no problems getting visas for OZ and NZ and could have easily gotten a permanent visa and sponsorship to live out their longer but chose not to stay. This is the way I do things ok.

How can you say its waste of everyones time when asking for feedback on two places to know wether its worth taking a trip out their. Do you expect me to visit every town and city in the US then come back on here and ask for advise after visiting them!

If you dont want to give any feedback thats contructive then thats fine but dont troll my threds please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.