Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Adds that make you see red?

Wikiposts

Adds that make you see red?

Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adds that make you see red?

that car add, i think it's mercury, where the git is vacuuming the car and the kid keeps throwing shite around, that's so annoying.

Also the really naff mbna add is annoying, and there going to be releasing more adds, a whole series....
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The one that used to bug me a lot, although I havent seen it for a while was that "Erbal" Essences shampoo, Made with lots of "Erbs"! Made me shout at the TV all the time, its HERBS!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:06 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
The one that used to bug me a lot, although I havent seen it for a while was that "Erbal" Essences shampoo, Made with lots of "Erbs"! Made me shout at the TV all the time, its HERBS!
Not to be (too) pedantic, but 'erbs is probably more accurate historically than Herbs - I read about it recently. I hate it too but it's all related to the silent H that technically occurs at the beginning of several words, and the reason we should, in theory, refer to "an historical event" rather than "a historical event". Language is always changing over time but it's likely that England changed on this one but the US didn't.

As for adverts - I hate all US ads with the exception of 2 or 3 - the problem I have is that they are not at all imaginative or interesting like the ads they make in Europe. Interestingly the main ones I have liked over the last couple of years have been Heineken ads (European), the Quizno's spongemonkey ads (that were actually created by a Brit www.rathergood.com ). All ads here tend to be very formulaic i.e. it's a car ad, so you show someone driving the car and that's about it - not at all interesting.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
... All ads here tend to be very formulaic i.e. it's a car ad, so you show someone driving the car and that's about it - not at all interesting.
Aye, that's the main problem...and adds from europe get slighty butchered over here, like the Baileys cream adds, not quite the cheeky same, and then those stupid drink responsibility warnings.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:36 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, that's the main problem...and adds from europe get slighty butchered over here, like the Baileys cream adds, not quite the cheeky same, and then those stupid drink responsibility warnings.
Well, you can't offend anyone (although it's perfectly ok to mention erectile dysfunction!).

It's probably been mentioned before but ads for medication get me all p'ed off. I think it's amusing that regulations mean that if you mention what it's for you have to list the possible side effects, but if you don't say what it's for then you don't have to. I always like to think that the ones which do not mention what it's for have really unpleasant side effects (otherwise why not tell us what it's for?).
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Not to be (too) pedantic, but 'erbs is probably more accurate historically than Herbs - I read about it recently. I hate it too but it's all related to the silent H that technically occurs at the beginning of several words, and the reason we should, in theory, refer to "an historical event" rather than "a historical event". Language is always changing over time but it's likely that England changed on this one but the US didn't.
Well!!! La de bleeding dah!!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 12:00 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by Ray
Well!!! La de bleeding dah!!!!!!!
Alright, alright, I bloody hated it when I found out the USA could be right on that one - annoyed the hell out of me. Anyway that's probably for another thread. I'm off out.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The Olive Garden adds are really annoying too, stupid gits....
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:09 pm
Perfumdiva1

Originally Posted by Bob
The Olive Garden adds are really annoying too, stupid gits....

You mean,

"When you're here, you're family"

Typically American two-faced, crap, right up there with "let's do lunch"

PD

EEEwwwwwwwwwwwww

Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Two for me at the moment:

2. That one with the baldness treatment, in which the fat bloke with the man boobs goes "but here's the big question......do you think my barber will remember me?". There's just something utterly pathetic and witless about that one line that drives me up the bloody wall.

yeah I agree - I mean has he not had the BACK of his ****ing hair cut for years ?
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick
Those three adverts annoy the shit out of me - especially the Cortislim - "if your overweight its not your fault" - of course its your fault! fat bastard.

That jeep commercial used to say - it is only safe to drop vehicles in commercials, then they changed it to do not attempt.

Others that annoy me are...

"I'm fifty and I can wear a bikini" - you have a huge pool, a house the size of kentucky and more plastic than my honda and you think its because of boflex? Come to the beach where I live next summer - fifty year old women are not afraid to wear bikinis - you may never get an erection again if you look at them though!

The advert for Smirnof where the woman headbutts the guy who keeps giving her the sad chat up lines. Is america the only country in the world that would advertise alcohol with violence?

The gimmicky beer commercials - Fresh beer, cold brewed beer - it doesnt ****ing matter - it still tastes like piss!

Who in their right mind uses rats to advertise food - eat at Quiznos - as recommended by the rats!

The Arbies slogan "What are you eating" I didn't know it was a ****ing guessing game, I was hoping it was beef but if you're asking you obviously think I think its beef!

The advert for sleeping pills warns "may induce drowsiness" - well I ****ing hope so or there would be no point in taking the bloody things.

Any alcohol advert advices "please drink responsibly" why? 1. Whats the point in that and 2. What do you care how we drink as long as we drink lots of your product. Whats next, McDonalds saying "please eat responsibly".

Would you join "an Army of One" - you'd have to do everything, guard duty, kitchen duty, fight illegal wars, when would you rest? And why does the US only have one soldier - the rate they are dying in Iraq it will be a self fulfilling prophecy!

Has anyone seen that advert for the new teeth flosser which advertises how easy it is by showing how difficult flossing your teeth is now! How ****ing retarded are these people that they have problems flossing their teeth! For petes sake if you can't floss your teeth you really shouldn't be let out the house without a helmet on.

That will teach you to ask what annoys me!!!!

Patrick I maybe blind drunk but this is the funnniest thing i have read on this board
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The latest credit card ad with Gladys Knight playing for England Rugby team pisses me off as they fail to tell you that you cannot get an England Rugby credit card over here. So why make an ad suggesting you can ?
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
The latest credit card ad with Gladys Knight playing for England Rugby team pisses me off as they fail to tell you that you cannot get an England Rugby credit card over here. So why make an ad suggesting you can ?
because they just rolled the same add out in England, apparantly...
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:20 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
The really annoying cat litter tray where the couple fight to do the dishes instead of the litter tray, but the new tray is so easy...GRRRR
"I'm cleaning the leeeter bux, I'm cleaning the leeeter bux . . ." !!!!
Old Feb 13th 2005, 8:25 am
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by torpkevuk
the aol ad really bugs me.. but the worst is the woman with the kid.. i want to lose all our pictures.. her first step.. her first word.. her first bite of real food.. PEAS! it was PEAS! and corn!

i may have anger issues, but i really wanna drop kick her to the face everytime that ad comes on.. I DONT CARE WHAT YA GODDAM KID ATE GET OFF THE SCREEN!!
I fully agree - we'll take her down together !! (I can't have kids and that ad REALLY gets to me - BARF !!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.