Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Accurate US salary breakdown sites?

Accurate US salary breakdown sites?

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

SamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud ofSamiZ has much to be proud of
Default Accurate US salary breakdown sites?

I have received an offer from my present UK employer who is based in the US for an inter company transfer. I have been given a base salary figure and I have gone to a number of websites that breakdown a gross annual salary to a net figure after taking out the fed taxes, medical, state taxes etc...I have been consistent with what I have entered in terms of number of dependents (I know you have to be a US citizen to get this benefit). Problem I have is that the net figures are varying by as much as 10% and I want to use this to go back to my company to determine if I want to negotiate higher and if so by how much.

Can anyone recommend a good site that does this? I am relocating to Southern CA btw.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accurate US salary breakdown sites?

You don't have to be a US citizen to claim for dependents.

There was a recent thread on this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811001

Last edited by Sally Redux; Nov 2nd 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to be a citizen to claim dependents. It is more difficult than the UK, though, because although the state and fed taxes are standard, health cover costs can vary depending on your employer and impact how much you will take home. The co-pays and deductibles will also factor heavily into whether your salary will be enough for you to live on.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 10:02 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamiZ
the net figures are varying by as much as 10%
I'd say that's pretty good, especially when you start considering the long list of other things that may or may not be deducted from at payroll.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I am not a USC but I still claim and get the full allowance for 4 dependents even my stepson who has a USC Father.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

What your take home pay after taxes will be is important but it is only part of the story. What really matter is how your income matches up to the cost of whatever lifestyle you want to have in your new location and that is even more difficult to calculate accurately.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rule of thumb, what you're paying in tax now, will be about the same.

Then at the end of the day, it's how you want to piss away the rest, just like you do in the UK that you need to figure out.

Glassdoor.com and salary.com are good sites to see how the money stacks up.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 3:19 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not this simple. There are a lot of other things that can affect how much income tax you can owe, these sites are making some assumptions and different assumptions yield different results. The only way to get an "accurate" estimate is to fill out an income tax return using all of your personal information.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by SamiZ
I have received an offer from my present UK employer who is based in the US for an inter company transfer. I have been given a base salary figure and I have gone to a number of websites that breakdown a gross annual salary to a net figure after taking out the fed taxes, medical, state taxes etc...I have been consistent with what I have entered in terms of number of dependents (I know you have to be a US citizen to get this benefit). Problem I have is that the net figures are varying by as much as 10% and I want to use this to go back to my company to determine if I want to negotiate higher and if so by how much.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

this site is pretty accurate:

adp.com/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/payroll-calculators/salary-paycheck-calculator.aspx
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

If you told us where you live now and what you make then there's enough people here could tell you an equivalent salary for a location here in the US.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:50 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

But that's not the question he's asking.

He knows what gross salary he's going to receive, he wants to know how much of it will be left after income tax.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by hotscot
If you told us where you live now and what you make then there's enough people here could tell you an equivalent salary for a location here in the US.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 2:08 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
It's not this simple. There are a lot of other things that can affect how much income tax you can owe, these sites are making some assumptions and different assumptions yield different results. The only way to get an "accurate" estimate is to fill out an income tax return using all of your personal information.

Regards, JEff
Exactly! We're 90% of the way through the year and I still don't know how much tax I'm going to end up paying this year... It's not nearly as easy to figure out as you might think, depending on what you do during the year.

For example, if you buy a car which you pay sales tax on, you can add this in to your total sales tax calculation to reduce your taxable amount. I've overpaid by significant amounts in the past few years (I'm trying to minimize this but since it can be difficult to calculate I'd rather overpay than underpay). It's become a secondary savings fund for vacations for me!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Just take about 30% off for tax.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Within 10% sounds about as good as you could reasonably expect, assume the highest take.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Just take about 30% off for tax.
I believe that the OP was considering a move to California so 30% is almost certainly too low if he wants to figure out his actual take home pay after deducting medicare + social security + federal + state taxes.