Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats what my guy said ....
thats his opinon

looking at prices actually tells you what whats cheaper or not
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
bullshit to the coil cleaning

I suggest you tell these rip off merchants to **** off

go outside and look at the make model of unit and i'll ask my hvac guy if you have to remove th coil to clean it

I;ve never heard of that and I have about 50 hvac systems of varying makes

trane
american standard
rheem
goodman
ducane

and a few others...

also bull shit to not being able to clean the duct 'thick with mold' really? i call bollocks on that also. replace a piece of ductwork is a very small job anyway
I agree with all of the above. Get new quotes. Can you get recommendations for HVAC contractors from friends/neighbors/co-workers? Good equipment is part of the equation, a good installation job is the other part. Make sure they do a manual J load calculation.

And $500 for coil cleaning? LOL... maybe for a 10-floor office building.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

If you have ductboard duct it can't be cleaned and may have been used in the past 10 years. Hubby thinks it sounds like a rip off, he can't imagine why the coil would need to be removed. Having a heatload calculation on your house will tell you what size unit is needed. I hate to say people are trying to rip you off but remember there is an economic slowdown and people are not taking out home equity loans and improving their homes like they were. You might be seen as a person with deep pockets and health concerns, they could be playing on that.

Good luck, get more quotes and always act like this is the first one you've asked for.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I must just mention this in regard to installation costs. A customer of my husbands looked online to purchase his own unit, yes you can buy one that way but you may have trouble finding someone to put it in. While I agree some installation costs are high, HVAC people have to do a lot of training to get their EPA certification. So just as you pay the IT guy for his knowledge, you pay the HVAC guy, just don't pay him too much.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:02 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
While I agree some installation costs are high, HVAC people have to do a lot of training to get their EPA certification.
Yes they do, but its not equivalent to a lawyer or doctor

when anyone apart from the above want more than $100 an hour they can get stuffed

And since it takes less than a day to swap out a unit for a tech + helper the HVAC companies can suck it if they want more than $1200-1500 for installation
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by bevinva
A customer of my husbands looked online to purchase his own unit, yes you can buy one that way but you may have trouble finding someone to put it in.

As you mentioned, new construction is down

if you are prepared to offer the cash not many people are brave enough to turn it down...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes they do, but its not equivalent to a lawyer or doctor

when anyone apart from the above want more than $100 an hour they can get stuffed

And since it takes less than a day to swap out a unit for a tech + helper the HVAC companies can suck it if they want more than $1200-1500 for installation
The techs wish they made that much! You're right a person on their own can charge thousands less and make a living.

As you mentioned, new construction is down

if you are prepared to offer the cash not many people are brave enough to turn it down...
That job was before the slowdown and the customer did not buy his own unit in the end. Cash is always good but rip off artists piss me off.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:19 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE

Just wanted to let you know I got another estimate, my gut reaction was they were trustworthy when they walked through the door. They gave me a much more realistic price and explained that all the extra stuff could be done but wasnt entirely necessary. The pulling and removing of indoor coil came down from $500 to $50 for an in situ clean.

I had a dimmers switch that I asked them to fit which they also did at no extra cost.

Thank you for all encouraging me not to take the first estimate.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
UPDATE

Just wanted to let you know I got another estimate, my gut reaction was they were trustworthy when they walked through the door. They gave me a much more realistic price and explained that all the extra stuff could be done but wasnt entirely necessary. The pulling and removing of indoor coil came down from $500 to $50 for an in situ clean.

I had a dimmers switch that I asked them to fit which they also did at no extra cost.

FANTASTIC! Told you they were crooks

Now make sure you let everyone you know to avoid the first bunch of scumbags
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
UPDATE

Great to hear. Boggles the mind though. Have you looked into getting some kind of free standing air cleaner, that might help with the other issues.