Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:29 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

Hi People
We live in NW Florida and in preparation for the brutal summer decided to have AC serviced and air ducts cleaned. I have had loads of allergy problems and have been more aware since not working and spending more time in the house.

Today the guys came to do a service and gave me an estimate, we apparently have loads of mold (I saw the evidence) and a few problems/upgrades needed with the system. I trust what they say but am a little confused re the options. The system is old and has not been touched for 10 years. The difference between having all the work required and adding a whole house dehumidifier is 2 grand, so do we need one and what about these UV lights to stop the mold, ideas please? It seems the humidifier option means we get a full warranty whereas cheaper option would not.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AC Service - Do We Need a Whole House Humidifier?

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Hi People
We live in NW Florida and in preparation for the brutal summer decided to have AC serviced and air ducts cleaned. I have had loads of allergy problems and have been more aware since not working and spending more time in the house.

Today the guys came to do a service and gave me an estimate, we apparently have loads of mold (I saw the evidence) and a few problems/upgrades needed with the system. I trust what they say but am a little confused re the options. The system is old and has not been touched for 10 years. The difference between having all the work required and adding a whole house dehumidifier is 2 grand, so do we need one and what about these UV lights to stop the mold, ideas please? It seems the humidifier option means we get a full warranty whereas cheaper option would not.
I don't know much about mold prevention and humidifiers and a/c. As long as mine works, I'm happy. You may want to get a couple of other companies in, just to compare and make sure you're not being taken for a ride. If you can, also try and get some impartial advice. Perhaps phone your local Building Department and see if they can recommend someone to give you neutral advice. They are not allowed to recommend companies, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi People

The add ons are bit of an overpriced extras with great profit for the seller

A new air handler and heat pump is all you need

since Since 1992, the minimum efficiency standard for central air conditioners and heat pumps had been set at 10 SEER. SinceJanuary 2006, the minimum efficiency level for all new central air conditioners manufactured must be at least 13 SEER. ..higher the seer rating ..higher the efficuency

!0 years I consider a good life for an A/C unit ..especially in Florida

but get at least 3 estimates ...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:49 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The add ons are bit of an overpriced extras with great profit for the seller

A new air handler and heat pump is all you need

since Since 1992, the minimum efficiency standard for central air conditioners and heat pumps had been set at 10 SEER. SinceJanuary 2006, the minimum efficiency level for all new central air conditioners manufactured must be at least 13 SEER. ..higher the seer rating ..higher the efficuency

!0 years I consider a good life for an A/C unit ..especially in Florida

but get at least 3 estimates ...
Thanks Ray apparently the ac unit is ok what we need is extra return air point a new electrical distribution system and a replacement to duct system and cleaning of coil?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ray apparently the ac unit is ok what we need is extra return air point a new electrical distribution system and a replacement to duct system and cleaning of coil?
Umm ..You are running a very inefficient system ....

I would want another opinion ..... how old do you think it is ...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Umm ..You are running a very inefficient system ....

I would want another opinion ..... how old do you think it is ...
I reckon its 10 years old, in since house was built, from what I was told even a new ac unit or whatever would need the other stuff doing.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:08 am
Ray

I reckon its 10 years old, in since house was built, from what I was told even a new ac unit or whatever would need the other stuff doing.
A 10 year old house .....seems too much too me ....
unless the original system was total crap ...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Ray
A 10 year old house .....seems too much too me ....
unless the original system was total crap ...
Knowing our luck... I will look further into it, thanks
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:12 am
Ray

Knowing our luck... I will look further into it, thanks
I would ..shame your not nearer

My mate is the county chief A/C engineer
he dont sell anything ...
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between having all the work required and adding a whole house dehumidifier is 2 grand, so do we need one and what about these UV lights to stop the mold, ideas please?
The chiller will dehumidify the air all by itself; the moisture will condense on the cold coil and drain to the condensate pump. Unless you have a very poorly performing system, I can't imagine needing an additional whole-house dehumidifier. (Then again, I don't live in Florida). Like others have suggested, get some more quotes.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:14 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get a second quote as Ray recommended. There are huge opportunities for marking up AC units and accessories so you want to shop around a bit to have an idea what is out there.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:34 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The chiller will dehumidify the air all by itself; the moisture will condense on the cold coil and drain to the condensate pump. Unless you have a very poorly performing system, I can't imagine needing an additional whole-house dehumidifier. (Then again, I don't live in Florida). Like others have suggested, get some more quotes.
This is the best post so far on the thread

if the air is not being de-humidified properly it means that the system is not running long enough, a common reason is that the tonnage of the system you have is too large for efficient cooling

getting a higher-seer unit will not do much, the system just needs to be sized for the house properly

the system may be able to be re-configured to run for longer at a lower stage (often there are 2 stages of cooling and 2-3 stages of heating)

our house is 2000 sq ft downstairs and we have a 4.5 ton (or 4 ton, I can;t remember) unit. this ran very effectively, cooling the house down very quickly, but did it so quickly the air felt clammy.

we had to replace the unit because the a hole blew out the side of the compressor (old) and the new unit we have runs a lot longer (but uses less elec since its a higher seer rating) and because it runs longer more water is taken out of the air and even at 2 degrees higher on the thermostat in summer, its still more comfortable because you don;t feel clammy
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:37 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

extra return - $200 (may be bollocks - how many do you have right now)

new electrical distribution system - sounds like total bollocks

replacement ducts - bollocks, just clean them

cleaning coil - probably worth doing - no more than $100-150
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:42 pm
Mr. Grumpy

whole house dehumidifier

http://www.sylvane.com/comfort-aire-whd130a.html

$1200
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Ray is right about a new system being much cheaper to run. Most of the time the old duct is reused, you could look for quotes that include new duct, you may find the configuration of your duct is not efficient, maybe because it never was or because of additions to the house. There is huge profit to be made on this type of work, the equipment may not cost more than $2000 but they may charge you triple that. Generally the homeowner can't obtain the retail price and any they show you in books is inflated and not their cost. If you know any real estate people talk to them, they usually know how to get a good deal. Get competing quotes, they have room to go down on price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.