Absolutely Desperate

Absolutely Desperate

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 11:39 am
Just Joined

allycat is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you mean?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:25 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by allycat

I know there are many illegal people in the country but there are others who have come here with little investment or none that just by being here have managed to get work resulting in work visas and who are not skilled.
I think we are all curious to know where you get this idea from.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

allycat is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of a number of people who have just packed up and left the UK and got lost in the system and then were able to get employment leading to green card. None of these people had skills or immediate relatives in the US.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost in the System

This is exactly what I am referring to in the other thread 'Work for builders in USA'. I know of many who have done this - I just don't know where they are now!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:08 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

are you a troll?

if not - I'm very sympathetic with your circumstances, but I question the validity of your statement.

I had three ways of getting a visa

1. get engaged to gfriend
2. get married to gfriend

neither of these were an option so:

3. intracompany transfer to work for a us company i had alrady worked for in the UK

this has cost me $8000 in costs overall and has been very stressfull

'but there are others who have come here with little investment or none that just by being here have managed to get work resulting in work visas and who are not skilled.'

DAMN!!!! I just wasted $8000!!! The above statement is nonsense - I'm sorry
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:20 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I know of a number of people who have just packed up and left the UK and got lost in the system and then were able to get employment leading to green card. None of these people had skills or immediate relatives in the US.
Right, so you every one you are talking about has entered the country illegally then. Either that, or they are just giving you a load of BS.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes what you are saying is true, I have heard and use to know people who have done that but really and truly do you want to be looking over you back for the rest of your life? (On the run)
Do you want to be worrying everytime you leave the country or get stopped by the law driving, ask yourself is life really worth breaking the law and finally what happens when and if you get caught (DEPORTATION!!!!)

Life is just to short for the aggro.

Just my pennies worth
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

MARTINIUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gaining Entry

BritGuyTN wrote

DAMN!!!! I just wasted $8000!!!

Yes you are right, I'm very sorry, I sympathise with you. However the route I took is far less stressful and a lot cheaper. The US authorities don't want you to know this but as long as you arrive in whatever manner and find a sponsor it can be done very easily. There will be no question of 'always looking over your shoulder'. I would urge anybody, especially single, to book a longish holiday (6-8 weeks) and concentrate on your preferred area of residence and work and ask a lot of questions, especially where British people are working. I'm not going to waste your time with details but it's common sense - and I'm not the only one doing this (and i'm not young).
Most of my friends have families over here now and I'm talking they've been here 20 years.

This policy is is as prevalent in the US as it is in Australia and New Zealand.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 1:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Right, so you every one you are talking about has entered the country illegally then. Either that, or they are just giving you a load of BS.
There is one possible explanation, but it would only apply to people who arrived in the US in the 1970's. I think that in 1984 (or thereabouts) there was an amnesty for any illegals that, if I remember correctly, could prove that they had been in the US for five years. They were able to 'fess-up and get a greencard.

Unless you meet people that were able to do this then I'd vote with the others and say that what you are being told is BS.

..... And even if you fancied coming here as a "career illegal" (no prospect of ever going legit), it would be much harder now as there are tighter checks these days on applicants for bank accounts, credit and finance, jobs, drivers licences, and medical services.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 3rd 2003 at 1:58 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
There is one possible explanation, but it would only apply to people who arrived in the US in the 1970's. I think that in 1984 (or thereabouts) there was an amnesty for any illegals that, if I remember correctly, could prove that they had been in the US for five years. They were able to 'fess-up and get a greencard.

Unless you meet people that were able to do this then I'd vote with the others and say that what you are being told is BS.

..... And even if you fancied coming here as a "career illegal" (no prospect of ever going legit), it would be much harder now as there are tighter checks these days on applicants for bank accounts, credit and finance, jobs, drivers licences, and medical services.
Yes I agree, one guy I knew had to keep on moving from state to state and was on peanuts. Eventually, he move back to the UK because he just could not get a really good job.