Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Absolutely Desperate

Absolutely Desperate

Old Aug 28th 2003, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

allycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Absolutely Desperate

I am so desperate. I have been travelling to Florida for the past 10 years or so and have been trying to move here for all that time. None of the people that I know have been able to help with a job offer although I have a trustworthy immigration lawyer ready to act on my behalf. I am in Florida at the moment by due to go back to the UK on 2nd Sept.

I have somewhere to live as my parents have a home here but are also unable to stay longer than six months. Unfortunately,I am not a professional although have been in the same job for 8 years now and am computer literate.

The reason that I am so desperate now is that my daughter will be 21 next August and will then have to apply in her own right to come here.

So many of you have been able to settle her surely somebody is in a position to offer sponsorship. I was widowed several years ago and am sure you will agree that the US offers a richer lifestyle than that in the UK.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

vlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you dating some one ? If so then get married.

Or else you'll have almost no chance unless you want to immigrate as enterprener or investor . Enterprener - this requires part of existing US business being at least 50% owned and managed by you.
You'll get L-1 visa which is good for 5 years and can be extended.
You can find more information if you search www.google.com or other search engines, or go staight to www.immigration.com
L1 or Investor visa does not make you eligable for employment
so you are really on you own .
Old Aug 28th 2003, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying so quickly. I wish I were dating it would be so much easier but at this time there is no one that is why I was going the job route, but unless you are a genius there does not seem to be too many ordinary jobs open to us.

It would be good if a british person who has a green card could offer a brit a job.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by allycat
Thanks for replying so quickly. I wish I were dating it would be so much easier but at this time there is no one that is why I was going the job route, but unless you are a genius there does not seem to be too many ordinary jobs open to us.

It would be good if a british person who has a green card could offer a brit a job.
If I were you I type out your resume/CV and send it to various companies in the states etc.

You just never know.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Absolutely Desperate

I am so desperate. I have been travelling to Florida for the past 10 years or so and have been trying to move here for all that time. None of the people that I know have been able to help with a job offer although I have a trustworthy immigration lawyer ready to act on my behalf. I am in Florida at the moment by due to go back to the UK on 2nd Sept.

<<snip>>

Have you looked at posts on the US Visas and US Immigration forums on British Expats? This will give you an indication of the kind of options are available.

Better still would be to look at employment visas on the official BCIS website. The address is:
http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/index.htm

This are of the BCIS website looks appropriate for you-
http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/...ency/index.htm

NC Penguin
Old Aug 28th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Absolutely Desperate

I have somewhere to live as my parents have a home here but are also unable to stay longer than six months. Unfortunately,I am not a professional although have been in the same job for 8 years now and am computer literate.

The reason that I am so desperate now is that my daughter will be 21 next August and will then have to apply in her own right to come here.

So many of you have been able to settle her surely somebody is in a position to offer sponsorship. I was widowed several years ago and am sure you will agree that the US offers a richer lifestyle than that in the UK.

The only thing I can think of to suggest is to search out the British organizations and clubs there in Florida. As you know, Florida has the highest concentration of Brits.

The largest of these, I've heard, is F.A.B.B.

"WHY WAS FABB FORMED?
The British community in Florida is huge. Since the 198O's, when the first Brits came over to Central Florida to see the newly built Disney World, they have been flooding into the Sunshine State. Delighted by what they found, thousands settled here, started businesses, bought homes and spread throughout the State. The British Ambassador to the USA recently stated that 1 out of 40 Brits come to Florida from Britain each year.

By the early 1990's, South Florida had become the area where most Britons took up permanent residence and more British- owned businesses flourished.

According to 1990 US Government Census Figures, Broward County has the most British-born residents.

Until now, there has been no organization looking out for the collective interests ....in Florida. Brits here have not presented a recognized united front. Other foreign born and special interest groups have benefited personally and professionally from associations they formed. This is what the Florida Association of British Business, Inc. FABB aims to do for its members, with your active participation.

OUR MEMBERSHIP INCLUDES:
Any Florida resident born in England, Scotland, Wales or Ireland
Any Florida resident from a British Commonwealth nation, including
Australia Canada, South Africa and New Zealand
Any Brits currently working or planning to work in Florida
American companies and business people doing business with the above
WHO WILL BENEFIT BY ATTENDING OUR MEETINGS:
Anybody wishing to make British contacts and mix with Brits.
British professionals and business owners.
Anybody marketing services or products to the British community.
Anybody promoting an event of interest to the British.
Anybody wishing to hire British people or Brits seeking work. Many jobs have been found through FABB contacts.
Anybody who needs immigration advice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more information, we can be reached at:

Florida Association of British Business
1717 North Bayshore Drive, #3250
Miami, FL 33132
USA

Voice: 305-371-9340
Fax: 305-371-1622

Email to: [email protected] "

Last edited by jaytee; Aug 28th 2003 at 9:04 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2003, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Jaytee,

You have been very helpful, with your suggestions. I am in the process of looking at the FABB website and hope that someone there can help me. Are you saying that there maybe british people in business that may be able to offer me a job and visa.

Thanks again
Old Aug 28th 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

It is just a thought. Honestly, I don't know anything about it, but it does say on their website that you are welcome and they appear interested in helping other Brits.
Old Aug 29th 2003, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Let's hope they can help me, someone must be able to!!!
Old Aug 31st 2003, 11:46 am
Just Joined

I have had a look at the FABB site and it looks quite good although I am not sure that they will be able to help get to Florida. Any other suggestions?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Any other suggestions?
It's not primarily a matter of getting a job (though of course that is important), the first thing to do is to establish which class of visa you are eligible to apply for. No visa = no immigration! ..... And just getting a job offer is nowhere near close enough to a valid reason for being granted a visa!

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

Which ever way you try to do it, it is going to be very difficult.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 2nd 2003 at 1:42 am.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Now I am really depressed. Unfortunately I don't have any skills that are in short supply and my closest relative is a first cousin.

So many people seem to get here without those links. I was under the impression that at least a work visa would enable you to stay in the US for as long as you are working.
Old Sep 1st 2003, 6:50 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

Now I am really depressed. Unfortunately I don't have any skills that are in short supply and my closest relative is a first cousin.

So many people seem to get here without those links. I was under the impression that at least a work visa would enable you to stay in the US for as long as you are working.
A "work visa" can only issued to a foreign national who meets one or more of the required criteria. ie can offer skills in short supply, or one who is engaged to or married to a US citizen. (as well as all of the other categories)

When you say "so many people" who do you mean? Anyone who is there working living and working without the correct documentation is breaking US law and is liable for arrest, deportation and a lengthy ban on re-entry.

How is it that your parents can live there?
Old Sep 1st 2003, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

My parents are not living here permaently. They face the same problems as me. The only difference is that they are retired and have a home here but can only stay for a short time and then have to go back to the UK.

This of course is costly especially since the airfares have rocketed. It is even more unfair for them. They have bought a home, pay property taxes and are contributing to the economy. They do not want to work and are not a drain on the economy.

I know there are many illegal people in the country but there are others who have come here with little investment or none that just by being here have managed to get work resulting in work visas and who are not skilled.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 1:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... there are others who have come here with little investment or none that just by being here have managed to get work resulting in work visas and who are not skilled.
Really?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.