Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

6 months after the move to San Francisco

6 months after the move to San Francisco

Old Feb 5th 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

remember_me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 months after the move to San Francisco

Well this site still continues to help things with us - still have nuggets come up every day

I just thought I would add some information for people making the move

Renting: in the city is expensive as you've read. We have a 2 bedroom place in the sunset and it is $2500 a month including water, garbage and parking. Finding a place is hard work, you need to devote days to it and be prepared to move very quickly. If you don't have a car, rent one so you can move around quickly.
We had a full CV made up of our pasts, references from prior landlords in europe, bankstatements, pet resumes. You'll need to bring a checkbook in order to make a deposit on a place.

Cars: Ugh....we didn't want to lease so ended up with getting financing at a crappy exchange rate, but at least we are mobile. Our plan is to refinance within 3 months or so.

Expenses: aside from rent, life here is actually not that more expensive than places in Europe
For 2 people we tend to spend around $120 a week on groceries at trader joes and safeway to pick up the slack of what you can't find there
Gas is around $80 every month
Cable is $100 a month including internet
Public transport : i don't use it too often as work has a shuttle, and the sunset has pretty much everything we need, but you can get an all inclusive pass for $74 (including the old style cable cars)

Making friends is proving pretty difficult, however we're working on it. I work in South San Francisco and my office draws people from all over the bay area. My wife is not yet working (Getting over a health issue) but perhaps when she starts working as well it will help

Fundamentally, it is a great place to live altogether and we consider ourselves pretty lucky to be here
Old Feb 5th 2013, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice
Default Re: 6 months after the move to San Francisco

great post