Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Where to start re schools

Where to start re schools

Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice
Default Where to start re schools

If anyone has simple answers for my jetlagged frazzled brain I'd be massively grateful!

DS is due to start kindergarten in September 2014 but as our rent is up for renewal I thought it wise to start looking ahead to schools now in case we need to move.

We're non religious and oping for state rather than private school. I've been on greatschools.org but am struggling to really grasp how "good" a school is based on their criteria, is this the best place to start looking? How does school allocation generally work, do ŷou automatically just go to your nearest school? We live in Los angeles but DH works in santa Monica, anyone in a similar situation been successful getting thenworkers' permit to send your child to a SM school! He's currently in a a SM preschool

Where did you all start the actual process of looking?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

mymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nicemymatemarmite is just really nice
Default Re: Where to start re schools

Sorry, seen a very relevant bread blew, will go through that instead!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The school district has a map which shows which school is allocated for your address. LA Unified unfortunately doesn't have a good reputation so you may want to investigate Santa Monica. Having said that, the problems generally come later than elementary. Our kids went to a great elementary in Hancock Park for a while.

In my experience, a lot of parents are successful in getting permits. We are in Calabasas (Las Virgenes USD) but kids from quite far afield attend the high school.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, do you generally go through employers to get the workers permit?
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mymatemarmite
Thanks, do you generally go through employers to get the workers permit?
I don't know what the process is I'm afraid. In general terms I think it's done by getting a school to accept you on that basis.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about trying to go to another school out of your area.

Down my way, go to the school district website, a refuge to geocities...plug in address and it spews out the options for you, you click and that's the kid registered and then they arrange a teacher meet to bring in all the bits and pieces like vaccination records.

For us, it's half day and then if you want full day it costs extra. Also need to live x miles away to get the school bus, which we just miss out on, so the little one will be gutted not to get on the yellow bus and I'm a little gutted that I won't be able to just kick her out the front door. Well I suppose I could, but I might get a call from DHS
Old Feb 5th 2013, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Brill, thanks. Have two options t start looking at then, our local district and getting an employers permit to try to get DS into a SM school without having to move
Old Feb 5th 2013, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Most school districts have a web site with area maps. When you find a potential new rental, enter that address in the web site (if available) and it should indicate the schools for that address.

The following is a map of the ranking of different schools in California. Click on the symbol for further information.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...60019%2C11%2C1