Reload this Page >

35yo thinking of moving Glasgow to Memphis

35yo thinking of moving Glasgow to Memphis

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Aquapanther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 35yo thinking of moving Glasgow to Memphis

Hi guys,

I've got the option of moving from Glasgow to Memphis.
I've been out here for 2 weeks testing the water and really enjoying it but obviously it is not the same as moving full time.
I'd be on my own but got to know a few of the staff now and there is generally someone else from Glasgow out every few weeks.
Only thing really to miss back home is family and friends (a big thing I know) but no girlfriend, kids, pets, house,etc.

So...what should I be considering?

Cheers,
Michael.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 35yo thinking of moving Glasgow to Memphis

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
Hi guys,
Young, free, single ? What have you got to lose ? Assuming the visa process works of course.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

How long's a piece of string???

Feel free to ask specific questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

In the meantime, enjoy Beale!
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 5:28 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Nashville is far nicer and much more prosperous. Parts of Memphis looked run down to me. I stayed long enough to visit Graceland and the Grand Old Opry and wasn't sorry to see the place disappear in my rear view mirror
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aquapanther
Some things to consider:
- Do you already know people here? If not, do you make friends easily? Moving out by yourself can be a pretty lonely prospect if you don't already have an established friendship network here. You'll want to see if you can find some things to get involved with quite quickly after arriving in order to meet new people and make new friends, otherwise you could get pretty homesick. Ideas that spring to mind: sports clubs, meetups, social interest groups, religious organizations (e.g. church), etc.

- Are you planning to come for a time and then leave? If you don't see yourself staying in the USA forever, you might want to consider this purely an extended temporary assignment and keep all your accounts in the UK open (bank accounts, credit cards, etc). If you come over and it doesn't work out for whatever reason, you can simply return home and pick up where you left off.

- Others are far more qualified re: location so I'll defer to others on that.

With all of that said, if you have no strong attachments to the UK other than familial (and those relationships can handle the distance), I'd say go for it! I was in a similar position about a year ago and I felt like it was a no-brainer.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar position - single, no dependants. I went for it on the basis you should never regret the opportunities you take in life, only the opportunities you don't take. If it doesn't work out, then at least you gave it a go! I had a great 3 years.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I was in a similar position - single, no dependants. I went for it on the basis you should never regret the opportunities you take in life, only the opportunities you don't take. If it doesn't work out, then at least you gave it a go! I had a great 3 years.
May I ask why you moved back?
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Personal reasons...