Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving with a Pug (or other snub nosed breed)?

Moving with a Pug (or other snub nosed breed)?

Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:15 am
Just Joined

MrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really nice
Question Moving with a Pug (or other snub nosed breed)?

Hello,
We're looking at a move to North Carolina, my husband works in the US from time to time and his company would like someone there more permanently. It seems like a great opportunity for our family however I'd like to ask If anyone has done this move with a Pug (or similar breed) since the new regulations came in? I've been quoted $7500 (for 1 pug and 1 cat) which is no small sum but they can't be left behind. I would be interested to hear what other people have paid or hear about any experiences (good or bad) before I commit to this? The amount quoted is for door to door.
Thank you!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 10:16 am
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with a Pug (or other snub nosed breed)?

I assume that the new regulations refer to the Pet Travel Scheme that was introduced on 1 January 2012. It is prudent to do the microchip, EU pet passport and rabies shot in the EU before departure so that return to the EU is straightforward, as long as it is before the rabies shot in the EU pet passport expires.

Some airlines refuse to transport Brachycephalic dogs such as pugs and others require a crate one size larger than for other dogs. Airports and airlines have restrictions on carrying dogs as cargo or checked baggage in the summer months (typically May to September).

It is best to get the pet comfortable in the carrier well before travelling by regularly putting treats and bedding inside. US Customs may expect to see a proper visa (for the owner) when clearing import of personal effects such as a pet.

Our pug has travelled using:
• Petairuk: Unaccompanied on Lufthansa as cargo with a night in Frankfurt.
• In the cabin on Lufthansa during summer months when travel as cargo or checked baggage was restricted. A weight limit of 8 kg including pet and carrier and a cabin baggage fee of about $100, IIRC. Completion of the journey required a hotel in Frankfurt with a visit to a vet for tapeworm treatment, trains, taxis and overnight ferry between Hook of Holland and Harwich. Make sure that Lufthansa can take the pet in the cabin if booking the flight because the number of pets is limited on each flight.
• United Airlines PetSafe to London. One way about $660 plus customs clearance of $570

Good luck.

Last edited by Aoi; Feb 29th 2016 at 11:35 am. Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 29th 2016, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pug and idly looked into this the other day and it certainly seems possible to move them to Australia. There are preferences / restrictions even on time of year to avoid high temperature.

Have also moved a Persian cat to Australia and back, he was absolutely fine and travelled in winter both times.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

MrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really niceMrsBonzai84 is just really nice

Thank you both, I am awaiting a quote from Petairuk, PetRelocation were the company that quoted $7,500, they said they would fly him by United airlines as long as it was after the summer. Which I'm happy with, I just wanted to explore all options.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

The Queen Mary 2 also accepts pets. I brought my border terrier over this way and it was a lot of fun and you can take more with you than on a plane. Downsides are that it takes 7 days, books up early and goes to New York so you'd need to drive down to NC (no pets on Amtrak).

It also worked out cheaper and you can visit them 4-5 times a day.
https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/kennel_info

Just another option!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Devakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond reputeDevakiri has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I had to book the kennels on the Queen Mary 2 in September 2015 for sailing in September 2016. So they do book up fast and you have to book passage for yourself before you can book kennels, but good idea to call them to see if they have any kennels available. It is going to cost us $3200.00 USD or £2078.00 for 4 upper kennels. Way cheaper than flying but on the sea for 7 days and yes it only goes to New York....but it will be a trip of a life time for me....we chose this route due to husband being in a wheelchair and not being able to walk at all so so much easier on him also.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 8:10 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds pricey. I paid 700 quid last year to ship a 10 week old puppy from Heathrow to Austin.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Amtrak does accept pets on select trains. No idea if NY to NC is included but they have eased pet ban on some trains.

From NY to NC could likley find a domestic airline one could fly with a pug. Some airlines will accept them some wont, but flying could also be an option.

Originally Posted by jaffy23
The Queen Mary 2 also accepts pets. I brought my border terrier over this way and it was a lot of fun and you can take more with you than on a plane. Downsides are that it takes 7 days, books up early and goes to New York so you'd need to drive down to NC (no pets on Amtrak).

It also worked out cheaper and you can visit them 4-5 times a day.
https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/kennel_info

Just another option!
Old Feb 29th 2016, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsBonzai84
Hello,
We're looking at a move to North Carolina, my husband works in the US from time to time and his company would like someone there more permanently. It seems like a great opportunity for our family however I'd like to ask If anyone has done this move with a Pug (or similar breed) since the new regulations came in? I've been quoted $7500 (for 1 pug and 1 cat) which is no small sum but they can't be left behind. I would be interested to hear what other people have paid or hear about any experiences (good or bad) before I commit to this? The amount quoted is for door to door.
Thank you!
When are you moving? Many airlines will not transport dogs during the hot summer months. I may be wrong...but I thought pugs were one of the breeds banned by many airlines.

As already mentioned the QM2 has onboard kennels...but they are usually fully booked a year ahead of departure. The ship will not be sailing across the Atlantic until late May/June as it's going into dry dock for a refit. The good news is the refit includes doubling the number of kennels.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 29th 2016 at 10:13 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

https://ask.cunard.com/help/before-y...l/PO_CU_assdog

There is a way around by classifying as a Support dog. From people who have posted and have used Cunard this seems quite common.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

I've had another quote of £2000, which is a massive difference.
I would love to take the QM2 but not sure my husband would watch the kids while I took a cruise with the Pug! ;-)
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

September probably, we would like to go earlier but as you said we can't travel with him during the summer. This was the information I received (someone may find it useful!)

"As you mentioned, the challenge in transporting pugs is that they are considered high-risk travelers. Like other brachycephalic breeds, they have difficulty breathing in hot weather. That being said, air travel can be safe so long as Maximus travels in cooler weather, is healthy, and properly acclimated to his kennel. We’ve relocated hundreds of snub-nosed breeds without incident.
United, for example, accept pugs (from September 15 through May 15) and is two of our most trusted carriers."

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
When are you moving? Many airlines will not transport dogs during the hot summer months. I may be wrong...but I thought pugs were one of the breeds banned by many airlines.