Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

Originally Posted by kodokan
Have you looked up uni costs? They seem the same as the UK or cheaper here to me - our flagship in-state unit (Ohio State) is about $11k a year, before any scholarships are applied. It's much higher up world rankings than most of the UK ones, too. Many of the private unis will offer a tuition plan that prices them the same as a public uni, too.

Sure, they're four year degrees rather than three, but an averagely bright kid can skip the first year of gen ed classes by taking a handful of AP classes in high school, for almost free (about $90 per exam).

So for planning purposes, here or the UK for a degree is a wash. Unless you definitely want the UK, in which case you'd want to be resident 3 years before starting.
I don't think that is really the case - providing a student is a 'home student' in the UK, they do not need to pay for any tuition up front. It's paid for by student loans paid back once earnings are over a threshold.

After 30 years, any outstanding amount is written off.

Plus, different areas of the UK have different tuition fee levels (free in Scotland!).

For planning purposes, whilst in the US, a student may get scholarships, that is not guaranteed. A UK resident student is guaranteed to not have to pay tuition fees upfront. I think that is quite a significant difference.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Moo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Moo52, I concur with Kokodan.

The US higher education system can be very complex but essentially think of it as private, public/in-state and public/out-of-state.

Historically, public universities in the US have been funded primarily by the states they are located in. Because of this, students who go to a university in the state they reside in pay a lower "in state" tuition rate than students who are coming from out-of-state. The "out of state" tuition rate can easily be 2x or 3x the "in state" rate.

There are ample scholarships and prizes available too. I stayed "in state" and ended up having my tuition, housing, and books 100% covered for all three years (as I had enough AP credits to knock off one year).

US Citizens are also eligible for financial aid in the form of things like Pell Grants, which provide substantial tuition aid through grants that don't need to be paid back, not loans.

The universities typically define "in state" as a student lived "in state" for a certain period of time (generally a year or two) before attending that university (not while attending that university).

Runaway costs tend to occur at private universities, or when someone goes out of state and thus pays a much higher tuition rate. If your children by then are not US citizens they may be classed as "international students" and at that point the tuition will be raised through the roof.

So costs can be extortionately high or they can be (literally) nothing, if you develop a proper strategy (years before) and kids don't get aggressively set on their out-of-state or private "dream school."

Taking AP courses (and getting a 3 or above on the tests) in high school can knock off a full year, sometimes even two years, off of university while at the same time raising the student's overall GPA (making their university applications more competitive).

One other thing - university admissions in the US usually get sorted in the summer between 11th and 12th grade, or early in 12th grade - not after graduation or at the end of 12th grade. This leads to a condition called "senioritis" in US high schools among 12th graders, who already have received their university admissions letters and scholarships yet still have 7-8 months of high school left.

As Kokodan mentioned the major public universities in the US - such as Ohio State, and including the University of Connecticut - tend to rate higher than most UK universities except for Oxford, Cambridge and LSE.

So there is time for planning but not as much as you may think - probably this needs to start being planned out when your eldest reaches 15.
Thank you so much for your reply, really good information, I know it sounds silly but uni over here was one thing that really scared me, guess it's fear of the unknown- the UK uni system I know but maybe the USA college system wouldn't be too bad if prepared for properly x
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moo52
Thank you so much for your reply, really good information, I know it sounds silly but uni over here was one thing that really scared me, guess it's fear of the unknown- the UK uni system I know but maybe the USA college system wouldn't be too bad if prepared for properly x
Another big difference - a positive or a negative depending on your child - is that you don't study just one subject. My son is off to college in 2018, and is a bit of an all-rounder academically and as regards his interests. He is thinking of majoring in engineering, but also really likes finance/ economics, so he may double major or do a minor in something financial. He is also pleased he will be able to take rounding-out classes for fun and personal interest, such as history, literature, or continue his foreign language. If he was in the UK, he'd have to pick, say, mechanical engineering, and then all his classes would be about things like materials and calculus.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Another big difference - a positive or a negative depending on your child - is that you don't study just one subject. My son is off to college in 2018, and is a bit of an all-rounder academically and as regards his interests. He is thinking of majoring in engineering, but also really likes finance/ economics, so he may double major or do a minor in something financial. He is also pleased he will be able to take rounding-out classes for fun and personal interest, such as history, literature, or continue his foreign language. If he was in the UK, he'd have to pick, say, mechanical engineering, and then all his classes would be about things like materials and calculus.
Our daughter did a BSc in Computer Science at University of Texas in Austin and some of the mandatory subjects were not at all relevant to the degree such as Civics and Texas History but she was able to take them at a Community College in Austin during the summer holidays where the tuition fees were a fraction of the university, but the results were accepted. (She only needed passes)
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:27 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are going to be all over the place for university. Eldest here at UT (also doing computer science and maths). middle son in the Netherlands and youngest probably here in the USA but I wouldn't put money on it.
Dutch universities have "honors" courses for select students in the "university college"section of the university - the ones my son is looking at are basically liberal arts colleges like in the US where he will choose his major. Not sure that this is going to be a cheap option for the OP though since it looks like Brexit will have taken place by then and god knows what is going to happen.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lndn2nbca
We arrived in 2010 for what we clearly said would be either 2 or 3 years.

We bought a house after 18 months and have never looked back. I cannot imagine going back. I can't really articulate why, but after just a few years here I/we felt more settled and comfortable than I did after my first 35 years in the UK.

Good post. I moved here last yr aged 33 and even though I'm not settled yet in terms of a job and house, I like the place and feel more at home than in the UK. Yes there are disadvantages but the nicer weather and lower traffic for starters has already made me feel much more relaxed in everyday life. I intend to be here for the long haul and apart from family, I can't see anything wanting to drag me back to the UK at the moment.

[QUOTE]We moved from a (nice enough) 3 bed semi on the edge of London, and now have a rural property in the hills in Southern California with some land, animals etc. All things we could have also had in the UK (and in fact I did as a kid), but it isn't the same.[/QUOTE]

Not in London anymore unless you're a millionaire
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

durham_lad, indeed. As the first two years in the American system are essentially "general education courses," the community colleges offer almost the same exact thing for a fraction of the cost. Lots of students do their first tow years at community colleges and then transfer into the university. Their bachelor's degrees only say the name of the university, not the community college, it's like they never even went to the community college.

It does vary by state but quite often states have rules about community college transfers - ie, State University X must accept a certain number of students trying to transfer in after two years of community college. A number of people use that as a "back door" to get into a public state university that initially rejected them. It's not ideal but it is a way forward for some.

Or, as your daughter did, take some classes during the summer and have their university recognize it for credit (which is also quite common for summer courses).

Last edited by carcajou; Jan 20th 2017 at 8:13 am.