Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Moo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

We moved to Connecticut over the summer with our 11yr & 6 yr old with my husbands job, our L1/L2 visa's are for 3 years with the plan to go bak to the UK after then!!
We have all settle really well the kids love the US, have made some school/soccer friends etc only slight fly in the ointment is not great apartment but hoping to move after Xmas to better house.
I just wanted your stories about 3year US plans, what triggered you decision to stay or go??
I swing between thinking we could live here forever and planning to go home after 3 years for family etc!!!
Would love to hear stories x
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 year US plan, how many of you went back to UK?

We came on an L1/2 and so far have been here 2 1/2 years which has flown by - I cannot imagine going home after 3 years as it feels like we just got here.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 6:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong forum ... I'm asking that this be redirected to the Moving Back to the UK forum.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wrong forum ... I'm asking that this be redirected to the Moving Back to the UK forum.

I don't think it is in the wrong forum Rete. The OP is asking why people stayed in the US...as well as asking why they decided to return home.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

As Rete implies, most of the regulars in the USA forum are still in the USA, in fact, most of us are now permanent residents or US citizens.

I came here on an L1-B, but, as planned, I got married a month after arriving and now have US permanent residency through marriage.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:44 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think it is in the wrong forum Rete. The OP is asking why people stayed in the US...as well as asking why they decided to return home.
Actually it is one of those rare posts that could benefit from being cross posted to 2 forums. Did you stay or did you go.

Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever, Minnie

I read it as though she is asking how many went back to the UK and WHY?

Not asking in particular why they stayed. She is up in the air and doesn't know whether she should be contemplating coming or going in another 2 years.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Moo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry didn't mean to cause a posting "drama"😀just wanted people's stories as to what was your original US plan, did you stick to it, did you stay or did you go!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:04 pm
Concierge

LOL The people who went back are not using this particular forum but using the Moving back to the UK forum. So they might not see your post and respond.

Where as the people who are newly arrived and/or have decided to make the US their home until at least retirement are generally in this forum. Many of those who have remained and will remain until retirement or long after have become US citizens and possibly are married to US Citizens and the US, not the UK, is their home.

But it is an interesting topic and will make good reading.

With a child age 11, I think you will have to make those plans NOW before that child is finished with high school and wants to go to college. If they want to remain in the US to do so they are only here for a short time before I will age out unless you all get green cards and/or become US citizens.

Lansbury is correct, perhaps you should post this in the Moving Back forum as well for the other side of the story.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Actually it is one of those rare posts that could benefit from being cross posted to 2 forums. Did you stay or did you go.

It is but we don't usually allow duplicate threads as it gets confusing.

Whatever, Minnie

I read it as though she is asking how many went back to the UK and WHY?

Not asking in particular why they stayed. She is up in the air and doesn't know whether she should be contemplating coming or going in another 2 years.
Minnie

I will leave the thread here for a while...if there is not much response I will move it over to the UK forum.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Moo52
We moved to Connecticut over the summer with our 11yr & 6 yr old with my husbands job, our L1/L2 visa's are for 3 years with the plan to go bak to the UK after then!!
We have all settle really well the kids love the US, have made some school/soccer friends etc only slight fly in the ointment is not great apartment but hoping to move after Xmas to better house.
I just wanted your stories about 3year US plans, what triggered you decision to stay or go??
I swing between thinking we could live here forever and planning to go home after 3 years for family etc!!!
Would love to hear stories x
We moved on the same visa in 1996...also with an 11 year old. We intended to return home after a year or two. Somehow we got sucked into life in the US and we stayed for over 18 years. If we could turn back the clock...we would have gone home after the first year.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 11:04 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

We are L1/2's also. We moved here with our almost 10 year old and we're still here 8 years later and my almost 10 year old graduates and goes off to college next year! Hubby's work and the fact that we still enjoy it keeps us here. Although we miss friends and family it's not a big enough pull to make us move back. Next year we plan to go back for a visit and it will be my first since 2011.
Old Dec 16th 2016, 4:55 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Moved here two years ago, would not contemplate moving back at all. I don't even plan to visit the UK within the next five years (young kids, too much hassle).
Old Dec 16th 2016, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute

We moved on the same visa in 1996...also with an 11 year old. We intended to return home after a year or two. Somehow we got sucked into life in the US and we stayed for over 18 years. If we could turn back the clock...we would have gone home after the first year.
Just curious what happened/changed to make you wish you had gone home?
Old Dec 16th 2016, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Just wondered what has made you regret staying in the US? We will have lots to consider when we come to make a decision, jobs, school, cost of uni/college and the fact that in 3 year our kids will be that much older and may be more difficult to move back to UK ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.