Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

2021 8938 Form missing continuation statement?

2021 8938 Form missing continuation statement?

Old Mar 24th 2022, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 2021 8938 Form missing continuation statement?

This years (2021) form appears to be missing the continuation sheet - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8938.pdf
(Last years form for reference - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8938--2020.pdf)

I have been using H&R Block successfully in 2019 & 2020 to electronically file my tax return with this form, and it also brings forward the pertinent static data saving some time, but this year it doesn't work, because the actual IRS form is missing continuation sheet.

Wondering if anybody else has already hit this limitation and worked out a workaround?
Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2021 8938 Form missing continuation statement?

Originally Posted by Jaag
This years (2021) form appears to be missing the continuation sheet - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8938.pdf
(Last years form for reference - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f8938--2020.pdf)

I have been using H&R Block successfully in 2019 & 2020 to electronically file my tax return with this form, and it also brings forward the pertinent static data saving some time, but this year it doesn't work, because the actual IRS form is missing continuation sheet.

Wondering if anybody else has already hit this limitation and worked out a workaround?
In the DeLuxe version I use it has never had the continuation sheet. Just click at the top for "New Form" and fill out whatever parts are relevant.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be interested to hear from TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct users on this, but also anyone paper filing.

I file by paper, so can't answer for others.

Yes, the form changed in Nov. 2021 and there is no continuation sheet this year. Instead, you file multiple copies of page 2 of the form. I have 15 additional sheets and no way to identify each separately such as page 5 of 15. Without that, if a sheet ends up on the floor there's no way to know it's missing. Also, there's no taxpayer identification on page 2. I'm uneasy about sending sheets to the IRS without an identifier on each page.

I'm considering writing on each of the sheets (multiple page 2s) my name as on 1040, my SS Number, and a page separator such as 5 of 15.

Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Jaag is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
In the DeLuxe version I use it has never had the continuation sheet. Just click at the top for "New Form" and fill out whatever parts are relevant.
I think you're describing what I do in H&R Block - I add new form and it creates a new set of three pages, but I only fill out the third (continuation sheet) for each set.

This year however, that third page does not exist.

H&R Block support just said to create copies and enter it over page 1 & 2. I'm not entirely convinced how well that will work, but it's the only way given the IRS literally have not provided the ability to have a continuation statement, and H&R Block say it will e-file successfully like that.

I have previously tried to contact IRS about this form and been told nobody on support can help with it.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaag
I think you're describing what I do in H&R Block - I add new form and it creates a new set of three pages, but I only fill out the third (continuation sheet) for each set.

This year however, that third page does not exist.

H&R Block support just said to create copies and enter it over page 1 & 2. I'm not entirely convinced how well that will work, but it's the only way given the IRS literally have not provided the ability to have a continuation statement, and H&R Block say it will e-file successfully like that.

I have previously tried to contact IRS about this form and been told nobody on support can help with it.
I have always done it this way with H&R Block software and had no problems with e-filing.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 10:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
I'll be interested to hear from TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct users on this, but also anyone paper filing.

Yes, the form changed in Nov. 2021 and there is no continuation sheet this year. Instead, you file multiple copies of page 2 of the form. I have 15 additional sheets and no way to identify each separately such as page 5 of 15. Without that, if a sheet ends up on the floor there's no way to know it's missing. Also, there's no taxpayer identification on page 2. I'm uneasy about sending sheets to the IRS without an identifier on each page.

I'm considering writing on each of the sheets (multiple page 2s) my name as on 1040, my SS Number, and a page separator such as 5 of 15.
I file snail mail, paper form. Yes, I just photocopied multiple page 2s, and wrote our names, SS numbers, and a page identifier on each. Let them deal with it. With the funding & personnel issues they are dealing with, I just wonder how much sense they’ll make out of it. It’s not like the 8938 has anything to do with our tax liability, anyway.
Old Mar 24th 2022, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP

Turbotax spat out multiple page 2s for my electronically-filed 2021 return.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 1:09 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Turbotax spat out multiple page 2s for my electronically-filed 2021 return.
Same for me.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I just throw money at a CPA and let them figure it out, about 1000 USD/year