Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Shipping cars UK to US

Shipping cars UK to US

Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

trentschris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping cars UK to US

Hi there, kind of a random one...has anyone had success shipping their car(s) from UK to US, and if so, any leads on some respectable companies?
I have 3 cars I'd like to bring to LA.
Would have to be white glove because of the value.
I have some feelers out with some folks in London but I thought I'd ask here if anyone had some past experience. The internet is a bottomless pit of companies offering this service so picking one is basically a lottery.

Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2022, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping cars UK to US

I would first investigate the EPA norms and restrictions based on the build year of the vehicles you wish to import, especially if you wish to drive them on public roads.
It's a very fickle system and although some restrictions for older cars (vintage/oldtimer) have been relaxed, others have not changed.
There are some specialized shipping companies in US, but for UK or Europe you would probably be better trying East coast and transporting across the states by road.
I previously assisted a racing team to import cars for competition in California. This turned out to be the best route with the most sensible costs. They were all put in containers and shipped that way.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, they are all 2019 or newer so I would hope they pass through any prerequisites.

Interesting you say to bring them via east coast and then cross-country.

Must of been a fun job!

Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

It was a total headache...it was planned way ahead and from 15 cars we had 3 still stuck in customs less than 24 hours before the competition was due to start...
Old Mar 11th 2022, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trentschris
Thanks, they are all 2019 or newer so I would hope they pass through any prerequisites.
I wouldn't be so sure about that... if it's permanent I don't think you'll be able to do it without a lot of hassle and expense. North American specification vehicles have lots of differences including stuff like corner marker lights which EU specification cars won't have.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car

Vehicles manufactured to meet these standards will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer near the driver's side door. If you purchase a vehicle abroad that is certified to U.S. standards, you may expedite your importation by making sure the sales contract identifies this fact and by presenting the contract to CBP at the time of importation.A vehicle must be imported as a nonconforming vehicle unless it bears the manufacturer's label certifying that it meets U.S. standards. If it is a nonconforming vehicle, the importer must contract with a DOT-registered importer (RI) to modify the vehicle and certify that it conforms to all applicable FMVSS. The importer must also post a DOT bond for one and a half times the vehicle's dutiable value. This bond is in addition to the normal CBP entry bond. Copies of the DOT bond and the contract with the RI must be attached to the HS-7 form.

Before a RI can modify your vehicle, however, it must first be determined whether the vehicle is capable of being modified to comply with the FMVSS. If a vehicle has not previously been determined to be eligible for importation, it must go through a petition process to determine whether it's capable of being modified for such compliance. If the vehicle under petition is not similar to one sold in the United States, the process of bringing it into compliance becomes very complex and costly. A List of Nonconforming Motor Vehicles that are Eligible for Importation (By or Through a Registered Importer may be obtained from a RI or from NHTSA's website.

The cost of modifying a nonconforming vehicle and the time required to bring it into conformance may affect your decision to purchase a vehicle abroad. NHTSA strongly recommends discussing these aspects with a RI before buying and shipping a vehicle purchased overseas.

Last edited by Olly_; Mar 11th 2022 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2022, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this...good info!
Old Mar 12th 2022, 6:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting you say to bring them via east coast and then cross-country.

Must of been a fun job!
TL, DNR version: forget about it.

Under most circumstances you cannot import a vehicle to the US unless it is 25 years (300 months) old. The most common exception is for vehicles that were built to meet US vehicle standards, which in practical terms means that it was built in the US. So there is a good chance you could get a Mustang or Corvette (back) into the US without too much hassle, but it is unlikely that even a vehicle commonly sold in the US, such as a BMW or Mercedes, would be importible. I am not sure about something like an X5, or whatever Mercedes is manufacturing in Alabama at the moment; I suspect it is doable, but probably a right PITA to achieve.

Then there are historically significant vehicles, which mostly means they are both extremely rare, and/ or there are no, or extremely few examples in the US. .... So for example, if TVR were to restart production, one of those that is less than 25 years old is probably importible, after you have jumped through the hoops.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 12th 2022 at 6:54 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 2:10 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I would echo Pulaski,
Modern cars are extremely difficult to import for use in the US.
I looked into importing a Chateram 7 some years ago and gave up.
Too complicated and too expensive to meet or exceed all of the current US regualtions.
It's not a matter of saying they exceed, you have to pay for testing and certification plus modification.
It's just not worth the effort.

What sort of make / value are we talking?
May just be better to sell in the UK and purchase a similar model in the US.
Old Mar 14th 2022, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the input guys... I got similar feedback over the weekend from a dealer in London, who emphasized the same challenges. Considering my next 3 years will be spent in US, makes sense to sell in the UK.

To answer your question, the makes are Merc G63, BMW M8, and a DB9.

Old Mar 14th 2022, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input guys... I got similar feedback over the weekend from a dealer in London, who emphasized the same challenges. Considering my next 3 years will be spent in US, makes sense to sell in the UK.

To answer your question, the makes are Merc G63, BMW M8, and a DB9.
Wonderful taste! If the second market is anything like the US, you will make a mint by selling them. Puts my 2022 MB E350 to shame! Got any pics to drool over?
Old Mar 16th 2022, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I have not checked recently but as far as I know if the exact model of a car is imported and sold in the USA it can be imported and modified to NHSTA specs by a Registered Importer. On the HS7 form completed before the vessel arrives the box for non compliance is ticked. Arrangements must be made for the RI to collect the car from the docks you can not touch the vehicle. A bond will be posted and the VIN of the vehicle will be posted on the NHSTA website. It is very expensive and some RIs are vehicle specific.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 12:17 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, kind of a random one...has anyone had success shipping their car(s) from UK to US, and if so, any leads on some respectable companies?
I have 3 cars I'd like to bring to LA.
Would have to be white glove because of the value.
I have some feelers out with some folks in London but I thought I'd ask here if anyone had some past experience. The internet is a bottomless pit of companies offering this service so picking one is basically a lottery.

Thanks
Your autos are way too new to import. There used to be a "gray market" mostly for Mercedes Benz cars. Daimler Benz didn't like that and lobbied hard to make sure cars came through official channels. The safety/smog certifications are quite onerous. There is one safe harbor though - vehicles more than 25 years old.

I wouldn't want to maintain one. German and Swedish parts are pricey even for US certified cars. My mechanic is a believer in OEM and I've learned to appreciate Japanese parts.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I wouldn't want to maintain one. German and Swedish parts are pricey even for US certified cars. My mechanic is a believer in OEM and I've learned to appreciate Japanese parts.
Appreciate the point, however I hope most purchase these cars with future costs in mind... I did for the GLE and E class Sedan..
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 3:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Of interest, this article was in my newsfeed today.
Old Mar 23rd 2022, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Of interest, this article was in my newsfeed today.
I find it even more astonishing that FL standards are higher than any other location in the world..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.