Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The 20 worst (restaurant) foods in America

The 20 worst (restaurant) foods in America

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 20 worst (restaurant) foods in America

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Anyone been to Bubba Gumps? I used to take a client who insisted on eating there. Overpriced fried shite and tasteless shrimp, at least I expensed it.
Once, in Chicago. Can't remember what I had, some sort of cajun shrimp comes to mind. I thought it was good, but my wallet was a helluva lot lighter after paying for the four of us. I didn't think it was worth it.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:24 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingerert
I didn't know you cared!
Of course, a woman in your condition and all...

You can bake a mess of them for your husband. It'll give you something to do when you're at home lazing around on maternity leave.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:27 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Another bad one we went to for a work lunch was Bucca di Beppo, another so-called Italian restuarant with massive portions of 'Italian' food;

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/locations/

One of the guys ordered a couple of side dishes of meatballs to share. No pasta just some big meatballs about the size of a baseball

From the menu;

Meatball
Our famous half-pound meatball made with 100% premium ground beef served in our marinara sauce.

each $4.99
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:30 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Chili’s Smokehouse Bacon Triple-The-Cheese Big Mouth Burger with Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
2,040 calories
150 g fat (53 g saturated)
110 g protein
4,900 mg sodium

You know this burger's in trouble when it takes more than 20 syllables just to identify it.
oh that sounds so good *drool*
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Once, in Chicago. Can't remember what I had, some sort of cajun shrimp comes to mind. I thought it was good, but my wallet was a helluva lot lighter after paying for the four of us. I didn't think it was worth it.
Yeah I remember it being $80 - $100 for four of us for lunch, no alcohol. Just a lot of fried goo and shrimp shrimp shrimp. People get so excited when they see shrimp on the menu for some reason
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone been to Bubba Gumps? I used to take a client who insisted on eating there. Overpriced fried shite and tasteless shrimp, at least I expensed it.
"Been there, done that" . In my case, a nephew who thought it was cool. Not only is the place a rip, but in SF, you have to go to Pier 39 to find one, and that is an ordeal in itself. I could not expense my visit I think I ended up with a 'souvenir flashing drink glass' for my troubles ...

Isn't "Hardrock Cafe" the same deal - overpriced burgers? I've never been to one here in US; I think I went to one in London decades ago ...

How about "Claim Jumper"? I went to one near me once, and was disgusted at the sheer volume of food presented to me. Everything was huge, and by the time my main course arrived, I was full ... (I'm a skinny dude, prefer quality to quantity!).
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:34 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think I ended up with a 'souvenir flashing drink glass' for my troubles ...

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:38 pm
Banned

"Been there, done that" . In my case, a nephew who thought it was cool. Not only is the place a rip, but in SF, you have to go to Pier 39 to find one, and that is an ordeal in itself. I could not expense my visit I think I ended up with a 'souvenir flashing drink glass' for my troubles ...

Isn't "Hardrock Cafe" the same deal - overpriced burgers? I've never been to one here in US; I think I went to one in London decades ago ...

How about "Claim Jumper"? I went to one near me once, and was disgusted at the sheer volume of food presented to me. Everything was huge, and by the time my main course arrived, I was full ... (I'm a skinny dude, prefer quality to quantity!).
Yeah they seem to strategically locate Bubba Gumps in tourist areas. I think their strategy is to get unsuspecting tourists as they know you'll never come back. The one I went to was in Universal Studios as they were a client. I think the guys went there as they weren't paying for it themselves and shrimp is on the menu.

I've been to the Hardrock in Beverley Hills, I took a friends young sister who was visiting from Finland. Burger was okay, can't remember the price to be honest.

Been to Claim Jumper once, again with a client. I had some enormous Cobb salad if I recall. Like you say massive portions.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:42 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I went to Claim Jumper for a business lunch once. The veggie burger was dead weird... toasted slices of bread for a bun and slices of raw avocado instead of mayonnaise. Don't remember it being too horrid though.

Now the people I was with? They WERE horrid and both have now left the company.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Another bad one we went to for a work lunch was Bucca di Beppo, another so-called Italian restuarant with massive portions of 'Italian' food ...
I see that as a bit of a contradiction in terms

I will eat at most places if pressed, but I do have one rule ... if I see 'All you can eat' - I won't walk in the door. There are so many things wrong with that concept I refuse to participate!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Yeah I remember it being $80 - $100 for four of us for lunch, no alcohol. Just a lot of fried goo and shrimp shrimp shrimp. People get so excited when they see shrimp on the menu for some reason
I don't know where your guys were from, but here in Missouri they're not an everyday thing. I was hunting once near Mobile, Alabama and for dinner one night the locals we were hunting with boiled shrimp that they had caught themselves for dinner. Pounds and pounds of them, I had never seen so many at once in my life. They acted like it was no big deal...

Edit: No, we weren't hunting locals with boiled shrimp, but I don't feel like fixing it.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I have an all time new one !

T A Travel center, Bloomsbury NJ.

Having tried the 'buffet' there in the past and knowing how shitty it is I declined and decided to order from the menu on weds night.
I chose the 'Sirloin diner'
'Suclulant and tender sirloin steak served with salad, garlic bread and a choice of potatoes' said the menu

It came and was an inch thick piece of rubber, totally undigestable
I called the waitress back and explained the condition of the steak, she said sorry and she would order another meal, she took my first one away and returned about half a f**kin hour later with a replacement which was half an inch thick and not medium as asked for but red raw !, no garlic bread, or salad !
"Where's the salad and garlic bread ?" I asked.
"Oh ! ... did you want that also ?"
"Well it's what I am paying for"
"I'll take it back"
"No you wont' ... I don't want spit in my diner, leave it"

The bitch didn't get a tip.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't know where your guys were from, but here in Missouri they're not an everyday thing. I was hunting once near Mobile, Alabama and for dinner one night the locals we were hunting with boiled shrimp that they had caught themselves for dinner. Pounds and pounds of them, I had never seen so many at once in my life. They acted like it was no big deal...
Freshly cooked, and from the right source, they are probably still something special. But by the time the fast food industry has farmed, breaded, frozen, and fried them, they are really just an excuse to eat fried, crispy, salty breadcrumbs - at a lukewarm temperature at that!
Banned

I see that as a bit of a contradiction in terms

I will eat at most places if pressed, but I do have one rule ... if I see 'All you can eat' - I won't walk in the door. There are so many things wrong with that concept I refuse to participate!
I think the only time I do is in Vegas as the buffets there can be decent for the price.
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, a woman in your condition and all...

You can bake a mess of them for your husband. It'll give you something to do when you're at home lazing around on maternity leave.
All I can say to you is "Pah!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.