British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 7:42 pm

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

I hope they catch him. Milk him for any information he has , by whatever means they feel necessary, and then send him on his way to the next world.

civilservant Apr 19th 2013 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10668359)
There is probably going to be fallout from this in relation to immigration reform and current immigration processing. I would expect any reform bill to really struggle now to broaden the number of visas and there are likely to be extra background checks I don't know AP for all maybe (insert joke about senators voting in favor of background checks here).

Great, well there goes arriving in 2013 :rolleyes:

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 10668428)
I thought I heard the uncle say that his brother never lived in the US.

I thought the aunt...who is in Canada...said her brother came to the US as a refugee...but I could be wrong.

Nutmegger Apr 19th 2013 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10668440)
I thought the aunt...who is a doctor in Canada...said her brother came to the US as a refugee...but I could be wrong.

Just edited myself -- I had misunderstood the uncle's words earlier, you are correct.

Gordon Barlow Apr 19th 2013 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668435)
I hope they catch him. Milk him for any information he has , by whatever means they feel necessary, and then send him on his way to the next world.

This translates to me as, "Catch the FBI's person of interest and torture him to death whether he's guilty or innocent." Nothing new about that sort of feeling; that's why there are persons of interest still in Guantanamo getting tortured, but it's not quite what the US Constitution calls for - or indeed the world's human-rights Conventions.

Is it relevant to prove guilt, these days? Not for everybody, eh?

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 8:00 pm

Really? I wonder why this 'person of interest' , as you quaintly put it, hasn't come forward to clear his name? The sooner he does this the sooner the FBI can concentrate on catching the actual terrorists.

How strange is that?

SultanOfSwing Apr 19th 2013 8:03 pm

I think it is rather likely that the second suspect (assuming he is armed), knowing what faces him when caught, has probably done himself in already.

Giantaxe Apr 19th 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10668462)
I think it is rather likely that the second suspect (assuming he is armed), knowing what faces him when caught, has probably done himself in already.

That's the way I suspect this will play out... he'll be found dead in a basement or shed sooner or later.

Michael Apr 19th 2013 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10668365)
So society needs to examine how it can turn two people that should have been naturally well disposed towards their hosts into people willing to kill their hosts.

It says as much about society's broken state as it does about that of the individuals themselves. As I said before, life is not as simple as Good vs Evil or Yes vs No.

Yah, I wonder why that occurred in the UK, Spain, France, etc.. There must be something wrong with all of those countries and not the terrorists.

sir_eccles Apr 19th 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10668388)
I agree....

Do you think that this will change for long term green card holders who keep renewing rather than becoming a citizen?

As long as you stay clean in between renewals probably not. Though expect fees to rise to pay for all the extra background checks.

MarylandNed Apr 19th 2013 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10668440)
I thought the aunt...who is a doctor in Canada...said her brother came to the US as a refugee...but I could be wrong.

I thought I heard the aunt in Canada say she was a lawyer.

MarylandNed Apr 19th 2013 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10668397)
If you were him you would not have planted a bomb a few miles from were you live, you would have had an escape planed, money and vehicle, and not need to rob a 7-11. On the information available to me now, it does not look like they did much planing. Not in a good frame of mind by the looks of it.

Exactly. They had a plan up to and including the bombing - and not a very good one. They didn't appear to have much of a plan for afterwards. They were pretty stupid if they thought that there wouldn't be photographic and video evidence that would nail them - they were operating in probably the most photographed and videoed section of the US at that moment.

Michael Apr 19th 2013 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10668484)
I thought I heard the aunt in Canada say she was a lawyer.

She definitely said she was a lawyer and talked like a lawyer. She only saw photos of them and there isn't any proof (other than he was wearing an IUD when he was killed).

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 8:55 pm

One thing that has always had me confused. They say that the technology is there that can photograph of one taking a tinkle in your back garden from a satellite orbiting the earth?

So why is is when they post a photo of some guy robbing a bank the image quality is so poor?
The quality of the images of these two guys was better than some pics you see. But in this day and age why are they so grainy and generally poor.

Everything is usually down to cost, but I get better quality video out of my $80 Kodak

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10668501)
She definitely said she was a lawyer and talked like a lawyer. She only saw photos of them and there isn't any proof (other than he was wearing an IUD when he was killed).

Lawyer not doctor. :)

Michael Apr 19th 2013 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668509)
One thing that has always had me confused. They say that the technology is there that can photograph of one taking a tinkle in your back garden from a satellite orbiting the earth?

So why is is when they post a photo of some guy robbing a bank the image quality is so poor?
The quality of the images of these two guys was better than some pics you see. But in this day and age why are they so grainy and generally poor.

Everything is usually down to cost, but I get better quality video out of my $80 Kodak

It all depends on how much you want to pay for equipment. You can purchase HD quality cameras using hard drives or you can have low quality cameras using VHS. Still pictures can be high quality at a very low price but a camera such as those used at football games cost about $100K per camera plus several million dollars worth of support equipment. Most of the cameras in the US are owned by businesses so they use cheap low quality equipment and many are 20 years or more old. It is not just the cameras and equipment that they have to upgrade, they also either need to upgrade the cabling in the building or use wireless. Initially when HD became available, golf tournaments tried to use some handheld HD cameras that used wireless (fixed cameras used cables) but the picture quality was poor since too much compression was needed (now that problem has been fixed).

Although there are now hand held HD cameras at a reasonable cost, HD security cameras and equipment are still fairly expensive.

dlake02 Apr 19th 2013 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10668477)
Yah, I wonder why that occurred in the UK, Spain, France, etc.. There must be something wrong with all of those countries and not the terrorists.

I said "society." Not America. There are social problems of varying kinds in every country.

Let's not go for childish jingoism here. The roots of hatred run deep.

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10668522)
It all depends on how much you want to pay for equipment. You can purchase HD quality cameras using hard drives or you can have low quality cameras using VHS. Still pictures can be high quality at a very low price but a camera such as those used at football games cost about $100K per camera plus several million dollars worth of support equipment. Most of the cameras in the US are owned by businesses so they use cheap low quality equipment.

Although there are now hand held HD cameras at a reasonable cost, HD security cameras and equipment are still fairly expensive.

Thanks for the reply. WOW. I never knew the costs were so high. Can you explain this. ( I'm clueless about these things ) Over ten years ago my friends were in the Hogs Breath in Key West. He called me and told be to go to the Hogs Breath website . I Got to their live cam site and bingo there were my chums, large as life and pretty damned clear. I can't imagine a pub paying a vast sum 10 years ago for a bit of trivial fun.

Like I said I'm pretty clueless. Is there a huge difference between the technology in a webcam and a CCTV?

sir_eccles Apr 19th 2013 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668509)

According to wikipedia (I know) GeoEye-1 is the best up there right now and can only see things of about half a meter so probably couldn't see individuals.

Cost and time. Likelihood is most security cameras have been there for years if not decades. Older they are more likely they are analogue with limited recording space and resolution, probably tape.

sir_eccles Apr 19th 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668535)
Thanks for the reply. WOW. I never knew the costs were so high. Can you explain this. ( I'm clueless about these things ) Over ten years ago my friends were in the Hogs Breath in Key West. He called me and told be to go to the Hogs Breath website . I Got to their live cam site and bingo there were my chums, large as life and pretty damned clear. I can't imagine a pub paying a vast sum 10 years ago for a bit of trivial fun.

Like I said I'm pretty clueless. Is there a huge difference between the technology in a webcam and a CCTV?

The webcam had no need to record and preserve the images. Streaming high quality is easy. Now say you want to record that high quality video 24/7 and keep it for say a year.

lizzyq Apr 19th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10668501)

IUD or IED? Dunno where a bloke would wear an IUD but I suspect it would be very, very uncomfortable.

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10668546)
The webcam had no need to record and preserve the images. Streaming high quality is easy. Now say you want to record that high quality video 24/7 and keep it for say a year.

I guess I'm a bit of a dumbo over this. I'd have thought recording the images in reasonable quality would have been easy and affordable in this day and age.

They sent back images from the moon 40 years ago. I can transfer video clips from my $80 to my computer and burn them to a disc.

Is it that hard?? I guess I'm really clueless??

Michael Apr 19th 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668535)

You have to get the picture to the source. You are doing it over a high speed internet and get reasonable quality. Most commercial buildings aren't wired for that kind of throughput. Wireless is a problem since there are a limited number of bands that everybody uses (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) so that maximum transmitting power is limited so that everybody doesn't interfere too much with each other (standard WI-FI). The maximum distance class 1 transmitters (maximum transmission power allowed) are about 500' reliably if not going though walls and much less than that if walls are between the receiver and transmitter. If a building had 6 security cameras, they would likely have a lot of collusions with the transmissions from other security cameras causing breakups if using HD and wireless.

So businesses could probably upgrade each security camera to HD for a reasonable price but trying to get the data to the receiver is the major problem.

In fact, in my condo if I use my WI-FI on the 5 GHz band (new band), I consistently get about 27 mb/s throughput but if I use my WI-FI on the 2.4 GHz band (old band) I average about 5 mb/s but vary between 1 and 10 mb/s. The reason that the 5 GHz band has better throughput is that it can't get through walls as easily as the 2.4 GHz band so my neighbors don't collide with my packets as easily.

Some problems can be gotten around many of these collusion problems by buffering the video so that many retries can be attempted but that causes delays. The reason many can stream movies from the internet without breakups is because of the buffering on the computer before the video starts to display but in my case since I see about 50 other routers on the 2.4 GHz band, I would likely have some breakups (or pauses since most movie streaming will pause when the buffer is low) if I used my WI-FI on the 2.4 GHz band to watch movies even with all the buffering. However normally security camera equipment doesn't pause the stream since it could miss parts of the video since there is only so much data that the security camera can hold before video is lost plus the businesses want to see the pictures real time.

Bob Apr 19th 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Nokoman (Post 10668555)

Is it that hard?? I guess I'm really clueless??

It's expensive.

You're thinking of one camera but need to think hundreds with people going over the data. It's a lot of bandwidth too.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 10:02 pm

Makes you wonder why the parents buggered off back to Russia. :blink::unsure:

UkWinds5353 Apr 19th 2013 10:18 pm

Never thought I'd say this what with my previous positive opinions about immigration but.... I think America should re-examine our immigration policy.We allow far too many people into America and several of them turn out to have extreme ideologies and they bring that thinking with them.We have more than enough American born extremist to deal with we don't need to import more of that ilk. Now we have Chechen terrorist bombing American cities and the ironic thing about that is the fact that america was sympathetic toward the Chechens and their struggle with the Russians insurgency. As an American I have had enough.I wish we could ship many of these trouble makers out the door.We could start with political trouble makers like Rupert Murdock that have done nothing but dumb downed a portion of America. People like that are turning this country into a nation of extremist thinkers. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

Gordon Barlow Apr 19th 2013 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 10668607)
... the ironic thing about that is the fact that america was sympathetic toward the Chechens and their struggle with the Russians insurgency.

Some wise man has said that nations don't have principles, only national interests. "America" (i.e. the rulers of the USA) couldn't care less about the Chechens or any other foreign nationals, except insofar as their interests coincide. That's just the way of the world.

Trixie_b Apr 19th 2013 10:53 pm

Never thought I'd say this what with my previous positive opinions about immigration but.... I think America should re-examine our immigration policy.We allow far too many people into America and several of them turn out to have extreme ideologies and they bring that thinking with them.We have more than enough American born extremist to deal with we don't need to import more of that ilk. Now we have Chechen terrorist bombing American cities and the ironic thing about that is the fact that america was sympathetic toward the Chechens and their struggle with the Russians insurgency. As an American I have had enough.I wish we could ship many of these trouble makers out the door.We could start with political trouble makers like Rupert Murdock that have done nothing but dumb downed a portion of America. People like that are turning this country into a nation of extremist thinkers. Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

I struggle with this post. You post that you'd close off immigration on a British expats board, where the very nature of the members in the main is that they've immigrated or are in the process of.

I'm thankful that countries will take asylum seekers in to prevent or at least reduce genocide. I agree that the process of that can be misused.

I agree, there are plenty of "nutters" out there. In every country of the world.

If you stopped immigration, how would you deal with those of us who have immigrated because of our American spouses? Those who have special skills that can't be found in the US? Those who are investing in the country?

Sally Redux Apr 19th 2013 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10668660)
I struggle with this post. You post that you'd close off immigration on a British expats board, where the very nature of the members in the main is that they've immigrated or are in the process of.

I'm thankful that countries will take asylum seekers in to prevent or at least reduce genocide. I agree that the process of that can be misused.

I agree, there are plenty of "nutters" out there. In every country of the world.

If you stopped immigration, how would you deal with those of us who have immigrated because of our American spouses? Those who have special skills that can't be found in the US? Those who are investing in the country?

This sort of knee-jerk reaction is unfortunately quite predictable and I think we will all come across it.

Michael Apr 19th 2013 11:10 pm

We are all immigrants (except for the few native Americans Indians) and other than 9/11, the majority of the people killed in the US by terrorists were by native born white Americans with American ancestry of generations.

paddingtongreen Apr 19th 2013 11:19 pm

Albert Einstein, Wernher von Braun, Enrico Fermi , me... etc. etc.

tonrob Apr 19th 2013 11:22 pm

Get the Telly on. They reckon they've got him surrounded in Watertown.

Weeze Apr 19th 2013 11:23 pm

In a boat with 20+ shots fired. Well according to Fox so that could mean anything.

SATX John Apr 19th 2013 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow (Post 10668448)
This translates to me as, "Catch the FBI's person of interest and torture him to death whether he's guilty or innocent." Nothing new about that sort of feeling; that's why there are persons of interest still in Guantanamo getting tortured, but it's not quite what the US Constitution calls for - or indeed the world's human-rights Conventions.

Is it relevant to prove guilt, these days? Not for everybody, eh?

The "suspect" that threw IEDs at officers in a shootout last night? Yep Waterboard his ass. Declare him a combatant, Obama killed an AMCIT in Yemen with a drone, why not here, by LEO's with guns?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10668668)
This sort of knee-jerk reaction is unfortunately quite predictable and I think we will all come across it.

Like gun control following a mass shooting? or the justification for more gun control following this, countdown begins now, expect to hear it from a Dem tonight, relating to these Terrorists.

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10668722)
In a boat with 20+ shots fired. Well according to Fox so that could mean anything.

Hope they ball him up, but doubt he will survive, too much risk for officers. Good luck and be as safe as you can guys (LEOs).

Break, Break:

I don't see anyone apologizing for their previous comments on "Who" they thought responsible for this terrorist attack, in the first pages.

Curious..... well not really. They will parse their words, and claim this is exactly what they meant, or claim Nidal Hassan and this attack are instances of workplace violence and have nothing to do with radical Islam.

Nokoman Apr 19th 2013 11:44 pm

Michael...Thanks for the detailed report. It's way over my head. I'll take your word for it.

Cheers...Neil

tonrob Apr 19th 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by SATX John (Post 10668731)
I don't see anyone apologizing for their previous comments on "Who" they thought responsible for this terrorist attack, in the first pages.

And we've never seen you apologize for being a daft <snip>

SATX John Apr 19th 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10668744)
And we never saw you apologize for being a daft <snip>

Really??? read the thread, or are you making excuses for your own shortcomings and BS?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ect-years-ago/

SATX John Apr 19th 2013 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10668722)

http://boston.com/

dlake02 Apr 20th 2013 12:01 am

Originally Posted by SATX John (Post 10668731)
The "suspect" that threw IEDs at officers in a shootout last night? Yep Waterboard his ass. Declare him a combatant, Obama killed an AMCIT in Yemen with a drone, why not here, by LEO's with guns?

Like gun control following a mass shooting? or the justification for more gun control following this, countdown begins now, expect to hear it from a Dem tonight, relating to these Terrorists.

Curious..... well not really. They will parse their words, and claim this is exactly what they meant, or claim Nidal Hassan and this attack are instances of workplace violence and have nothing to do with radical Islam.

Hmm - well given that the record of gun violence in this country is one that anyone still stuck in the 19th century believing in out-dated religions should be ashamed of, that is a bit ripe. I hear that those stuck still stuck in that century believe there was a bloke called Moses who had something to do with some old rocks with "Thou Shalt Not Kill" etched on them (I'm an atheist by the way, but I still find those rules relevant to my life). Think the Muslims call him Musa and he's revered as a prophet and teacher.

Last year in Oakland, CA, there were 131 murders. That is in a city with a population of around 400,000. There were 640 in the whole of the UK with a population of 65,000,000. As they say here, "Do the Math."

Maybe you should deride the religion of most of those people as well ? What is it again ??? Oh yes - Oakland is one of the most Christian cities in the country. Is that Radical Christian Terrorists ?

Double-standards, my friend, double-standards.

And, as has been pointed out, these people have spent most of their LIFE in America and certainly their formative years.

Nokoman Apr 20th 2013 12:06 am

Time to refresh the old joke.

"If hooking up terrorist prisoner's testicles to a car battery to get the truth out of the lying little shyte will save just one life, then I have only three things to say,'

'Red is positive, black is negative, and make sure his nuts are wet."