British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

vikingsail Apr 16th 2013 8:30 pm

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

I uphold free speech to the very end but one of the saddest things I have seen today is the web image of the unfortunate child who died as a result of these atrocities holding up a sign which said "No more hurting people - Peace."

If only that were true, and wishing were so easy to achieve.

Jerseygirl Apr 16th 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10662821)
And JerseyGirl, just because you feel like you're beating your head against a brick wall doesn't make you right. It might actually be a sign that you're wrong. Try to remember that.

Where as you just keep going on and on and on and on.....

Try to remember that. :D

Weeze Apr 16th 2013 9:19 pm

The outpouring of people offering the runners rooms and lifts on this spreadsheet made me smile.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&output=html

A big frowny face as usual goes to Westboro Bastist "church" who plan to protest at the funerals.
http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...st-church-says

But a tip of the hat again to Anonymous who hope to pressure them enough to stay away.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3093516.html

Trixie_b Apr 16th 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10661965)
And what on earth does any of this have to do with what happened yesterday?

I lived in Northern Ireland through the absolute worst of 'The Troubles' and I experienced things that I'm still trying to forget. I see nothing good in glorifying that period at all and I see no need for sick jokes. I don't even know how we got on this track because the suggestion that the IRA had anything to do with yesterday's events is one of the most ludicrous things I've heard.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected by yesterday's horror and with the law enforcement officials who are tracking down whoever was responsible. Let them do their job and hope they bring the sick coward(s) responsible to the full force of justice. Let's stop speculating and jumping to conclusions - especially ridiculous speculation that begets really bad and inappropriate attempts at humor.

If you really have the people affected in your thoughts and prayers, stop taking this thread off topic and using it as your own personal soap box and being antagonistic. Luckily for you, the atrocities weren't about you yesterday, although it seems you want this thread to be all about you and your particular take on it.

Steve_ Apr 16th 2013 9:21 pm

On the IRA comment, the PIRA used to use the same technique, pressure cooker bombs in public bins. Not that that tells you much, others have used it too.

Lion in Winter Apr 16th 2013 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10662908)
See that's the thing. People want to decide for themselves what is and isn't relevant. They think they can mention the IRA because the IRA used bombs and bombs went off in Boston yesterday. And they think they can mention "Irish Car Bomb" and also mention that Americans (including Bostonians) raised money for the IRA. And then they think that should be the end of it because they've had their joke, made their insinuations and snide comments, and now no-one else should take it any further. Er - sorry - but this is an open forum and you don't get to decide what is and what isn't relevant when you start making stupid comments that, ironically, really were not relevant at all to begin with.

Why are you so aggressive?

If you just want an argument, then they can be had in TIO by the dozen. I think you need to calm down.

tonrob Apr 16th 2013 11:02 pm

See that's the thing. People want to decide for themselves what is and isn't relevant. They think they can mention the IRA because the IRA used bombs and bombs went off in Boston yesterday. And they think they can mention "Irish Car Bomb" and also mention that Americans (including Bostonians) raised money for the IRA. And then they think that should be the end of it because they've had their joke, made their insinuations and snide comments, and now no-one else should take it any further. Er - sorry - but this is an open forum and you don't get to decide what is and what isn't relevant when you start making stupid comments that, ironically, really were not relevant at all to begin with.

I find your off-topic ranting completely inappropriate in this thread discussing yesterday's terrible events. Can you for the love of God go and annoy people somewhere else?

Bob Apr 16th 2013 11:03 pm

Christ you're talking a load of shit today.

Have you actually read and understood what people have actually said or are you just coming up with rubbish in your head? Because you're not making any sense what so ever.

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2013 5:55 pm

Latest reports are saying the FBI have arrested a suspect.

Cardienscarf Apr 17th 2013 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10664691)

Good.

Trixie_b Apr 17th 2013 6:00 pm

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/17...oston-bombing/

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10664698)

They allegedly have video of a man leaving a bag the bomb was thought to be in.

cranston Apr 17th 2013 6:06 pm

Photos of suspects here

http://imgur.com/a/sUrnA

dakota44 Apr 17th 2013 6:10 pm

If they have the right one, outstanding news. Street cams, from which they apparently identified the individual, do have their benefits.

Trixie_b Apr 17th 2013 6:24 pm

Press conference at 4pm central time

MarylandNed Apr 17th 2013 6:30 pm

And now apparently they haven't. Maybe those are actually rumours rather than facts.

Weeze Apr 17th 2013 6:33 pm

BBC/CNN flashed it as breaking news, but now it has been retracted. Lots of press oitside the courthouse but no solid confirmation that I can find.

Trixie_b Apr 17th 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10664746)
And now apparently they haven't. Maybe those are actually rumours rather than facts.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americ...715497655.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22190353
We can only go on the news agency information

Weeze Apr 17th 2013 6:37 pm

@Boston_Police: Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.

Yep, here we go. No arrest.

MarylandNed Apr 17th 2013 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10664762)

Er no - you go on official reports from the law enforcement agencies (specifically those in charge of the investigation). Don't believe anything you hear until you hear directly from them.

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10664769)
Er no - you go on official reports from the law enforcement agencies. Don't believe anything you hear until you hear DIRECTLY from them.

Oh for goodness sake. :rolleyes: You have to be BE's most argumentative poster.

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2013 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10664766)
@Boston_Police: Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.

Yep, here we go. No arrest.

Correct...the news agencies are now saying no arrest.

Cardienscarf Apr 17th 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10664770)

No he's not :scarper: (sorry, couldn't resist it)

CNN is now saying there are conflicting reports. Can't find info about the news conference.

Lion in Winter Apr 17th 2013 6:49 pm

An early poll entry?

It doesn't help that I keep reading his user name as MaryandNed.

I just hope they catch the bombers. I'm thinking nobody can pick an argument with that.

Weeze Apr 17th 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10664782)
Correct...the news agencies are now saying no arrest.

It's all a bit alarming. The only thing agreed on is that they now have suspects. All too eager to be the first with the news rather than correct.

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2013 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10664790)
An early poll entry?

It doesn't help that I keep reading his user name as MaryandNed.

I just hope they catch the bombers. I'm thinking nobody can pick an argument with that.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Same here.

Agreed...but I'm sure someone will be able to.

MarylandNed Apr 17th 2013 6:56 pm

You make it too easy! ;)

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2013 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10664804)
You make it too easy! ;)

No she doesn't :whistle: ...

Trixie_b Apr 17th 2013 6:59 pm

Off Topic - Jersey girl, is there a "punch you in your throat" smiley? I'd like one of those.

Lion in Winter Apr 17th 2013 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10664806)
No she doesn't :whistle: ...

SHE'S BEHIND YOU!

Weeze Apr 17th 2013 7:05 pm

1 Attachment(s)
And the Black male suspect as reported by CNN is now a white male.

They aren't going to be feeling too good about this screen grab where they have the suspect and being arrested and not on the same page.

SultanOfSwing Apr 17th 2013 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10664814)
SHE'S BEHIND YOU!

:lol:

Weeze Apr 17th 2013 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Trixie_b (Post 10664807)
Off Topic - Jersey girl, is there a "punch you in your throat" smiley? I'd like one of those.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fi...mmer-smash.gif[/URL]

Will this do you?

Trixie_b Apr 17th 2013 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10664826)

for a start. Thanks Weeze :wink_smile:

yellowroom Apr 17th 2013 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 10664791)
It's all a bit alarming. The only thing agreed on is that they now have suspects. All too eager to be the first with the news rather than correct.

I keep flashing back to "The Newsroom" and wanting to hear what Will McAvoy has to say on the subject.

I know we've mentioned before about getting our news from the Comedy Channel, but it's another step altogether to want it from a fictional tv character.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 17th 2013 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10661324)
Of all the idiotic theories I've heard today, this one wins first prize.

I was not saying it was an IRA operation, just that it followed their operational style.

kimilseung Apr 17th 2013 8:12 pm

Apparently they are now looking for someone on the grassy knoll.

MarylandNed Apr 17th 2013 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10664899)
I was not saying it was an IRA operation, just that it followed their operational style.

I would even disagree with that statement even from the beginning for many reasons which I won't go into here.

Now obviously you didn't have all the info that has since come to light, but it actually more closely follows the operational style of other terror groups particularly those in Afghanistan. In fact, how to make pressure cooker bombs was taught in terror training camps in Afghanistan. Taliban bombers have used pressure cooker bombs for years. They have also frequently been used in Nepal, India and Pakistan.

tonrob Apr 17th 2013 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10665159)
I would even disagree with that statement even from the beginning for many reasons which I won't go into here.

Now obviously you didn't have all the info that has since come to light, but it actually more closely follows the operational style of other terror groups particularly those in Afghanistan. In fact, how to make pressure cooker bombs was taught in terror training camps in Afghanistan. Taliban bombers have used pressure cooker bombs for years. They have also frequently been used in Nepal, India and Pakistan.

I think you and LothianLad should start some sort of club.

Giantaxe Apr 17th 2013 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 10665171)
I think you and LothianLad should start some sort of club.

With SATX John as chairperson?