British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

Michael Apr 19th 2013 10:57 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon

Like everything on the internet and cable news, there appears to be a lot of conflicting information. CNBC claims there are brothers but the previous article claimed their names were from police scanners but they reported different last names.

paddingtongreen Apr 19th 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 10662182)
I'm uneasy with this comparison. It's certainly true that the results for innocent people affected are the same. However, I'm not sure I can draw a direct line between precise drone strikes against an enemy who deliberately surrounds himself with innocents and an indiscriminant bombing of zero military significance at the Boston Marathon. In my mind, these are not comparable or "morally equivalent" situations.

I wish I could be uneasy too, but we are using double taps to kill the first responders, in another case we blew up a funeral procession.Follow the links.

Nutmegger Apr 19th 2013 2:17 pm

I hope that Bob and others in the area are safe indoors -- sounds like a lot of craziness going on in Cambridge/Boston/Watertown. One brother dead, the other on the run -- one recent report even said he may have crossed into CT. And another opportunity for elements in the US to dislike immigrants, as these kids bite the hand that fed them, as it were.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 10667948)
I hope that Bob and others in the area are safe indoors -- sounds like a lot of craziness going on in Cambridge/Boston/Watertown. One brother dead, the other on the run -- one recent report even said he may have crossed into CT. And another opportunity for elements in the US to dislike immigrants, as these kids bite the hand that fed them, as it were.

They have a sister living in NY and another in NJ. A reporter from our local ABC TV station has just spoken to the sister in NJ...she wouldn't open the door but shouted that she was very sorry.

It is reported that the older brother was married with a child. Friends of the younger brother all say what a nice guy he was. The parents moved back to Russia a year ago...allegedly.

Bob Apr 19th 2013 2:34 pm

I hope that Bob and others in the area are safe indoors -- sounds like a lot of craziness going on in Cambridge/Boston/Watertown.

I'm out in the burbs so am okay, though I do know a few folks out there.

The cop killed was a good bloke, he was at a indie games festival event last year. Very sad to hear he didn't make it.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10667984)
I'm out in the burbs so am okay, though I do know a few folks out there.

The cop killed was a good bloke, he was at a indie games festival event last year. Very sad to hear he didn't make it.

I looked on Google Earth earlier to see if you lived near the area.

WEBlue Apr 19th 2013 3:16 pm

One brother dead, the other on the run -- one recent report even said he may have crossed into CT.

Police in Norwalk CT stopped an Amtrak train from Boston to search it, apparently. I heard this from a neighbour a little while ago & confirmed it just now online. East Norwalk schools went on lockdown, but not sure if they still are.

Speedwell Apr 19th 2013 3:20 pm

Interesting social media on the remaining suspect: http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2013...suspects-life/

dakota44 Apr 19th 2013 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10667443)
The New York Post is almost as good as the Daily Mail. It looks like they got the picture from a reliable source (an internet blog).:rofl:

That photo was from a blog...but it is not the photo the FBI released.

kimilseung Apr 19th 2013 3:42 pm

I don't know about police procedures either side of the Atlantic, but it is impressive how much man power they seem to have managed to get involved in this.

Bombs and manhunts in the UK never seemed to get this much manpower, but as I say I do not know what the UK police are doing in the background without my knowledge.

Jerseygirl Apr 19th 2013 3:44 pm

The brother's paternal uncle is being interviewed....showing live on TV. Said he is shocked and asked the remaining brother to give himself up.

dlake02 Apr 19th 2013 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10668108)
I don't know about police procedures either side of the Atlantic, but it is impressive how much man power they seem to have managed to get involved in this.

Bombs and manhunts in the UK never seemed to get this much manpower, but as I say I do not know what the UK police are doing in the background without my knowledge.

Errr -they do. It's just a lot more subtle and as you say, in the background.

Think of it as the quite, British under-stated methods rather than than a show of brute force.

kimilseung Apr 19th 2013 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10668138)
Errr -they do. It's just a lot more subtle and as you say, in the background.

Think of it as the quite, British under-stated methods rather than than a show of brute force.

....and I started to realize that all that manpower I could see on TV was actually just standing around doing nothing.

dlake02 Apr 19th 2013 4:24 pm

And another opportunity for elements in the US to dislike immigrants, as these kids bite the hand that fed them, as it were.

Yes - that aspect concerns me. NPR was talking about the typical home-grown radical. That apparently was characterised by someone that had moved to the US some years back and found it very tough to assimilate into American society. Typically had few American friends, found the culture difficult to understand, etc.

Does that mean that anyone that finds Americans and the US a tough people/country to get to grips with (if in fact you can even think of it as one people or country which is over-simplistic already) a potential terrorist !!!! That is really elementary-school logic applied to a very complex and deep-seated set of societal issues.

Giantaxe Apr 19th 2013 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02 (Post 10668186)
Yes - that aspect concerns me. NPR was talking about the typical home-grown radical. That apparently was characterised by someone that had moved to the US some years back and found it very tough to assimilate into American society. Typically had few American friends, found the culture difficult to understand, etc.

Does that mean that anyone that finds Americans and the US a tough people/country to get to grips with (if in fact you can even think of it as one people or country which is over-simplistic already) a potential terrorist !!!! That is really elementary-school logic applied to a very complex and deep-seated set of societal issues.

Yeh, it's way too simplistic. By this kind of "logic" BE is full of terrorists...