British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   2 large explosions at Boston Marathon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/2-large-explosions-boston-marathon-794104/)

md95065 Apr 16th 2013 1:08 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by MrSensical (Post 10661106)

Totally inappropriate and not even remotely amusing.

Adding you to my "ignore" list - I suggest that others may wish to do the same.

kimilseung Apr 16th 2013 1:12 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 
no idea what the youtube video is about.

but the news report that he added as an edit, has better audio than other videos I have seen, and it does show how fast some people managed to collect themselves and go in to the aid of those affected.

tigfish Apr 16th 2013 1:13 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10660748)
This story is still breaking...but so far there have been injuries. Hope none of our members or their families have been caught up in the explosions. :fingerscrossed:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story...-line-18960342

I live in Boston; it is awful, sad and senseless...love to everyone here <3

md95065 Apr 16th 2013 1:17 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10661127)
no idea what the youtube video is about.

but the news report that he added as an edit, has better audio than other videos I have seen, and it does show how fast some people managed to collect themselves and go in to the aid of those affected.

None of which explains or excuses the tasteless nature of the post ...

Cardienscarf Apr 16th 2013 1:24 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 
Just read this. Immediate ways to help if you're in the area. Paragraph 6 is devastating.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...pid=foodinc-fb

kimilseung Apr 16th 2013 1:26 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10661133)
None of which explains or excuses the tasteless nature of the post ...

no argument from me.

kimilseung Apr 16th 2013 1:27 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10661137)
Paragraph 6 is devastating.

That has brought tears to me eyes.

Bob Apr 16th 2013 1:28 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10661068)
My gut feeling is that it will turn out to be domestic. If there were several devices I don't know whether this would make it less likely to be a lone nutjob, although that guy in Oslo had a reasonably sophisticated plan.

what a world we live in. :frown:

One device set to a prepaid mobile phone on speed dial isn't much harder to do than multiple ones...but it's also not that hard to read the time and count the hours if doing it the old fashioned way of a timer :/

Bob Apr 16th 2013 1:33 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10661137)
Just read this. Immediate ways to help if you're in the area. Paragraph 6 is devastating.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...pid=foodinc-fb

Yes, that's particularly sad if they were especially targeted.

Pleased the city got behind the support effort quickly though. Over a thousand folks as of a few hours ago have offered free digs for marathon runners that are caught up in this, or stopped to help people get around the city afterwards when public transport was halted.

Cardienscarf Apr 16th 2013 1:41 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10661140)
That has brought tears to me eyes.

Sorry. Mine too.

yellowroom Apr 16th 2013 1:42 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10661146)
Pleased the city got behind the support effort quickly though. Over a thousand folks as of a few hours ago have offered free digs for marathon runners that are caught up in this, or stopped to help people get around the city afterwards when public transport was halted.

this kind of thing always gives me hope - in that the vast majority of people in the world are fundamentally decent, and reminds me that those that perpetrate this kind of violence are a tiny tiny minority.

kimilseung Apr 16th 2013 1:42 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 
Wall Street Journal, via BBC: 5 undetonated devices

Cardienscarf Apr 16th 2013 1:46 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 
1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10661146)
Yes, that's particularly sad if they were especially targeted.

Pleased the city got behind the support effort quickly though. Over a thousand folks as of a few hours ago have offered free digs for marathon runners that are caught up in this, or stopped to help people get around the city afterwards when public transport was halted.

Look for the helpers...

Weeze Apr 16th 2013 2:03 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10661140)
That has brought tears to me eyes.

I follow the ducks of Sandy Hook on Facebook (a local policeman who hands out ducks to try and help traumatized kids and adults). They posted that all the people they had there are safe.

dakota44 Apr 16th 2013 2:06 am

Re: 2 large explosions at Boston Marathon
 

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf (Post 10661137)
Just read this. Immediate ways to help if you're in the area. Paragraph 6 is devastating.

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013...pid=foodinc-fb

It is beyond horrid that someone might have targeted them. A disgusting thought.

Off topic I suppose, but any bets on how long it takes the NRA to find a way to use this as propaganda against gun legislation? Would not put it past them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:40 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.