Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The 1970's Front Room

Wikiposts

The 1970's Front Room

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 1970's Front Room

Originally Posted by Dimsie
Capo di Monte ! Wow - you were POSH!!! LOL!
My Grandad used to run a Kay's catalogue and I'm sure that's where my Mum got them from. She only ever displayed the flowers. The figurines never managed to get out of their boxes in case they got broken by me or my brothers. By the time she decided it was safe for them to come out she realised she didn't really like them so it was straight back in the boxes they went and put in the back of a cupboard.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:50 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

A couple of good ones!

Yes, every sideboard had a lamp made from a wine bottle!

Yes, who can forget these little beauties or the large amount of people who were electrocuted or badly scalded by them whenever they exploded.

And everybodies auntie had a Lava Lamp in her fire surround.

I was looking for a photo of Sir Jimmy's chair but couldn't find one anywhere. Do you remember his chair was the 1970's dream chair. He'd press a button and doors would open and take about 30 seconds about doing it giving him a pot of tea and even the much covvetted Jim'll Fix it badge made of real gold plated tin!

Hey remember those brown and white ploughhorses with the plough thing that used to sit on top of people's telly's?

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 11:01 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 10:53 am
ImHere

This is very spookie.

Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:00 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
A couple of good ones!

Yes, every sideboard had a lamp made from a wine bottle!

Who can forget these little beauties or the large amount of people who were electrocuted by them.

Gotta love those lamps!!! What about the Chianti bottle with basket-type base, with a candle in the top, and candle-wax dripping down the sides - all very Bohemian. Even I had one!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I have just remembered something that me and my Mum were helpless laughing at. My mum and her friends made small rocking chairs out of springy clothes pegs and then would put a plant pot on the seat. They also made
a christmas house thing by folding the pages of a readers digest a certain way, painted it and stuck a plastic robin on the top. Not forgetting the crap doll with a crocheted dress that covered a toilet roll and then was put on the cistern as an ornament.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:05 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mandpete
I have just remembered something that me and my Mum were helpless laughing at. My mum and her friends made small rocking chairs out of springy clothes pegs and then would put a plant pot on the seat. They also made
a christmas house thing by folding the pages of a readers digest a certain way, painted it and stuck a plastic robin on the top. Not forgetting the crap doll with a crocheted dress that covered a toilet roll and then was put on the cistern as an ornament.
My mother had one of those dolls on the bathroom window, you shoved it's legs in the toilet roll tube and covered the roll with the dress.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Not forgetting the crap doll with a crocheted dress that covered a toilet roll and then was put on the cistern as an ornament.
A

Now that's a classic!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:07 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

mine were two tone!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown

mine were two tone!!!!

Eee-uwwwwww!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:09 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The 1970's Front Room

Did anyone have to accompany their mums to the 'Autumn Fayres' or 'Christmas Bazaars' at their primary school, scout hut or local church hall?

There were often 'rummage' aka 'jumble sales' on at the same event and I wanted to die of shame when my mum would go searching through a pile of clothes looking for a bargain!

They always sold those woolly toilet roll holders (crocheted) with a doll's top torso on them. Yuck.

When I was little I was always fascinated by the 'china' cabinet in my gran's house...she had some ships in bottles which she'd picked up in various seaside resorts, postcards in souvenir frames with 'Skegness', 'Ilfracombe' or 'Torquay' , a musical windmill from Holland (you can guess the tune) and the glass bottles with the seashells stuck to the side of them LOL!

We also had a vinyl settee with orange cushions.....but ours was a cream colour. He he.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

groovy
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:14 am
This board is shite

Talking Re: The 1970's Front Room

My mum and her friends made small rocking chairs out of springy clothes pegs and then would put a plant pot on the seat.

If I had a £1 for every one of these I've saw!

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 11:17 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:15 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The 1970's Front Room

Ok everyone, for a trip down Memory Lane:

http://tv.cream.org/

You can read all about your fave TV programmes from the 70s....'Banana Splits', 'Jackanory', 'Joe 90'....and 'Jim'll Fix It' - complete with some (bad)photos...
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Englishmum

When I was little I was always fascinated by the 'china' cabinet in my gran's house...she had some ships in bottles which she'd picked up in various seaside resorts, postcards in souvenir frames with 'Skegness', 'Ilfracombe' or 'Torquay' , a musical windmill from Holland (you can guess the tune)
Yep - must have been standard stuff for grandmas's!! LOL! Also, mine had a variety of those snowstorm thingies, where you had to shake 'em to make it snow.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:21 am
This board is shite

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ok everyone, for a trip down Memory Lane:

http://tv.cream.org/

You can read all about your fave TV programmes from the 70s....'Banana Splits', 'Jackanory', 'Joe 90'....and 'Jim'll Fix It' - complete with some (bad)photos...
I downloaded lots of songs from that site once, got all the good ones Rentaghost, Barnaby etc... I think that's also where I downloaded a song by Mr Humphry's of Grace Bros. Quite camp lyrics. ;-) Check it out if it's there.

Yes, it is I just checked, worth a listen if you've never heard this spin off song and this is the link to it:

http://tv.cream.org/specialassignmen.../humphries.mp3

Usual routine double click if you plan on waiting for ages until it downloads fully or right click and save as... then click it from where you download it to.

Last edited by ScotsmanInTexas; Jun 23rd 2005 at 11:31 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.