Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

14 days to find internship, otherwise I have to go home

14 days to find internship, otherwise I have to go home

Old May 30th 2008, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Sweetgirlie will become famous soon enoughSweetgirlie will become famous soon enough
Default 14 days to find internship, otherwise I have to go home

Hi everyone

I've been in my internship for 6 weeks and it's just not worked out. I was honest with them in the beginning and they asked me to give it time, so I gave it another month and have now decided to quit. There is no bad feeling at all, they like me and they are disappointed that I've gone, but it wasn't for me.

I now have 14 days to find another internship, otherwise I have to go back to the U.K. I am living in Downtown LA, so it would be great if anyone knows anyone who would like a Brit intern - at no cost to the company.

Thanks for listening.

S
Old May 30th 2008, 7:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 14 days to find internship, otherwise I have to go home

Craigslist.org would be a good place to start.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

start packing...

but as mentioned, craigslist, face book, local newspapers...though it depends on what sector your looking at for more specifics I suppose...
Old May 31st 2008, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sweetgirlie
Hi everyone

I've been in my internship for 6 weeks and it's just not worked out. I was honest with them in the beginning and they asked me to give it time, so I gave it another month and have now decided to quit. There is no bad feeling at all, they like me and they are disappointed that I've gone, but it wasn't for me.

I now have 14 days to find another internship, otherwise I have to go back to the U.K. I am living in Downtown LA, so it would be great if anyone knows anyone who would like a Brit intern - at no cost to the company.

Thanks for listening.

S

What kind of internship are in interested in?
These guys have science/research internships for "summer students" called "student fellows"- you might want to contact them to see if anyone has dropped out.

http://www.labiomed.org/

They are in Torrance, 40 mins by bus from Union Station.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; May 31st 2008 at 6:21 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 5:23 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

is there no way you could go back just 'until' you found something else? quitting and giving yourself such a hard deadline does seem a bit drastic.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't you find another job before you quit!? Man, I'd be way too nervous to do that!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:59 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sweetgirlie
Hi everyone

Thanks for listening.

S
What is it you want to do your internship in? Presumably if it was 'anything' you would have stayed at the one you had.

Try this site - plenty of internships: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=intern&l=los+angeles%2C+ca

If I were you I would find the ones that interest you and/or search the web for companies that interest you in LA, print out your background/resume of sorts, dress up and knock on some doors. Good luck!