Reload this Page >

10 Reasons Why I Love America

10 Reasons Why I Love America

Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:28 pm
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10 Reasons Why I Love America

Originally posted by sohosid
Proof??? How about from Apples own websites.....

Current US price of the top G5: $2,999
Current UK price of top G5:£2,199 ($4,119)

Now, I may not be good at maths....but that's quite a difference......

By the way....where in Oregon are you.....visited the coast and Portland last year.....lovely place!

Mike
Apple is more popular over here than the UK, but generally computer prices in all areas fluctuate every minute of the day so they are not really a good example. In my opinion it all depends on which state you live in as well, since cost of living and average income varies from state to state and the average take home pay is not the same either.

In a state where the take home pay was decidedly less than someone in Britain then that Apple computer would be an expensive buy. In my experience most things are about the same price, some things are cheaper, but some cost more…for example mobile phones in the U.S are way over-priced compared to Britain.

You can buy a pay as you go in the UK for about 20 quid, you get a phone and number with it. Over here it will cost you 3 or 4 times that amount for something similar. My brother just told me about a 50 pack of blank DVD-R’s he bought for about 12 pounds in Britain. I bought the same ones here for 50 bux.
Old Jul 16th 2004, 11:46 pm
Visa in hand!!!

sohosid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jambo_2004
In a state where the take home pay was decidedly less than someone in Britain then that Apple computer would be an expensive buy.
True....although there are huge wage differences in the UK too....what may be affordable in London may not be if you work in for example Liverpool. The prices I quoted are web-based prices, so the same wherever you are in each country.....

My brother just told me about a 50 pack of blank DVD-R’s he bought for about 12 pounds in Britain. I bought the same ones here for 50 bux.
Ahhh yes....I'd love to know where he got that deal....that sounds wonderful....haven't seen anything even approaching that here...the closest is a place called 7dayshop.com (cheapest for virtually everything) and their price for 25 DVD-r (spindle pack) is 12 quid....and it's a make I wouldn't touch with yours!!!!!

I'm sure that there are internet suppliers in the US that could get you a similar deal....
Old Jul 17th 2004, 12:59 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sohosid
True....although there are huge wage differences in the UK too....what may be affordable in London may not be if you work in for example Liverpool. The prices I quoted are web-based prices, so the same wherever you are in each country.....

Ahhh yes....I'd love to know where he got that deal....that sounds wonderful....haven't seen anything even approaching that here...the closest is a place called 7dayshop.com (cheapest for virtually everything) and their price for 25 DVD-r (spindle pack) is 12 quid....and it's a make I wouldn't touch with yours!!!!!

I'm sure that there are internet suppliers in the US that could get you a similar deal....
Can't remember the website he got them from, I know they werent naff discs though, they are RITEKs, which are well respected among certain communities (nudge nudge wink)
Closest I can get to that price is 32 bux...but not RITEK...I buy a brand called MATRIX...never had a failure with the 100 I have bought...well maybe one or two but that was me opening a program during the burn and not the discs.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 2:44 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

My brother just told me about a 50 pack of blank DVD-R’s he bought for about 12 pounds in Britain. I bought the same ones here for 50 bux.
Where do you shop, Best Buy?

You can get a 50 pack of decent quality, well rated DVD-r 4.7's from NewEgg for $27; just shy of 15quid.

Electronics do tend to be cheaper here. My iRiver iHP-120 cost me $300 five months ago. It's selling in the UK for 250 quid at the moment.

From Dabs.co.uk: Athlon 64 3200+ Retail 199.00 Pounds / $373
From Newegg.com: Athlon 64 3200+ Retail $282.00 / 150 Pounds.

Last edited by nathan barley; Jul 17th 2004 at 2:51 am.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 4:01 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick

And you lived in Leeds, what do you think you would see in Leeds
Herds of Wildebeeste????

Oops, no that was Torquay.......
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent 3 weeks in UK and I'm sorry but I found so many things cheaper over there- especially food. Compare the price of bread- decent bread that is. And get this one- in Sainsbury's, Southend on Sea, Essex- a pack of 7 beautiful Florida oranges for £1. Here in sunny Florida, oranges are nearly a $1 EACH in my local supermarket, and they look like the bloody windfalls (probably are). I was blown away by the quality and prices of fruit and veg in UK- and I didn't find eating out expensive at all.

Silly comparing electrical stuff, compare the price of electricity, car insurance, health insurance. However I bought my mum a Dyson animal vacuum - £149 in Wales. Bought the same machine for myself here when I got back $550.
The house next door to my Mum's sold for £70,000 (3 storey with stunning views from all windows over the valley) whilst I was there, and it was only that high price because it has recently been completely refurbished (courtesy of council grant). Of course this is in the Welsh valleys (not in Leeds), which are growing more and more beautiful now that the coal pits have gone. Jobs, in Bridgend the nearest big town I could be earning double what I was earning here in FL. (fair to say, my husband earns a higher wage here than he would in UK, at least when he left over 12 years ago- I'm not so sure if that would be the case now). I've thought for the last 12 years though that if we had his wage in UK we'd be rich- we aren't here.

But I'm making a mental note to never visit Leeds.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:16 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

This is when you have to learn to shop around in the US and watch a full year on how to shop in the US. My hubby has a stack of these and I picked them up from Best Buys on black friday (the day after Thanksgiving when the major sales start). Got 100 (2 50 packs) for free (except for tax) and he has only had 2 duds out of the whole lot! They had an offer on of buy one get one free and a mail-in rebate which covered the cost of the one pack before tax. OK, it isn't the brand that you mentioned but from the list of brands he told me to look for which were good, this was on them.

I am spending much less on food in general here than I did when we first arrived over 5 years ago. OK, back home you can go to a supermarket (Asda or Tesco for example) and get all your shopping for the week in one go and I haven't found a supermarket here where you can do the whole lot in one shop AND get good prices for fruit and veg, meat AND other groceries. But once you get over this fact and start to shop like the locals do and split your shopping up between different stores, you start to save money. I get my general groceries from one store and my fruit and veg from another. I will get meat from different places and we also have a Pepperidge Farm discount shop locally.

And other shopping, in general, I am managing to spend less than we did in the beginning. If you want to get your prices down to what they were in the UK then you have to change your shopping habits of when and how you do your shopping for everything, including clothes.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

The ONLY reason I moved to the US was my wife could not move to the UK. ( Various reasons including family, work etc ) Guess it is homesickness kicking in, but I struggle to adapt to the differences a lot more now than I did earlier in the year.
Old Jul 17th 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
The food in markets, especially fresh produce, is better quality and much cheaper.
I disagree on that one... it is cheaper in the UK and better quality.

Ash
Old Jul 17th 2004, 9:28 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
I disagree on that one... it is cheaper in the UK and better quality.

Ash
And you have at least some idea of what you're eating as far as growth hormones, etc!!!
Old Jul 18th 2004, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dant3
After having a work permit for just 5 months I have a job in the field I studied at university. In England I wasn’t even close after 5 years.

Even though my salary is roughly the same as it was in England, I’m able to afford a nicer apartment in a nicer neighbourhood than I ever could in Leeds.

I’ve never once had to worry about the cost of heating…I don’t even need heating.

I’m able to eat out twice a week rather than twice a year.

The food in markets, especially fresh produce, is better quality and much cheaper.

Stores are still open when I get off work.

Electronic items are half the price – got to love the Apple store.

I get to see movies for free several months before they’re released.

I get to see film crews shooting stuff every day and tell my mother that my office building is in the new car commercial she’s watching. I know ‘the industry’ shouldn’t excite me so much, but it does.

The view from the back yard is of mountains and palm trees, not concrete highrises.
So I guess not missing your family and real friends is not an issue with you. I like it here too but there are things I miss back home.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

I find the food in general here is pretty yukky, yoghurts, bread, cheese, milk, cream etc. Anything in the dessert line is horribly over-sweetened. Fruit and veg are very expensive in my opinion and not brilliant quality half the time. However I think the chicken and beef is good value and the americans do a much better burger than the crappy Birds eye ones I used to buy in the UK.

I find the electronics stuff cheaper here, although they don't necessarily last either. It's all swings and roundabouts, I'm not crazy about living here, but I'm glad you like it here Dant3 and you're happy in LA.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
And you have at least some idea of what you're eating as far as growth hormones, etc!!!
True- the labelling in UK is far, far better. One glaring difference is the labelling of genetically modified foods. In UK they have to be labelled- not so in the US, genetically modified foods are not labelled here- you don't know if you're eating them or not.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 7:33 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere that you could tell from the codes on the food - you know bananas are 4011 or whatever - well if its a 5 digit code, the first digit shows its GM if its an 8 or organic if its a 9, or something like that. Not exactly clear, and I can't remember what the actual numbers are. And I don't know whether its compulsory or optional. Useful eh!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 2:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My 10 reason to love America

1. The wife is here
2. The death penalty is in 38 States
2. Gas guzzling trucks are available
3. Guns are available and plentiful to most.
4. Krispy Kreme Donuts
5. Newspapers are insular, who cares about another state/country
6. TV news is biased.. saves me having to think
7. There is no snow in Florida
8. Plenty of illegals to work in the Yard for a pittance
9. Nobody can fail the Driving test
10. Sales tax is 6% not vat at 17.5%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.