British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   10 Reasons Why I Love America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/10-reasons-why-i-love-america-242620/)

Dant3 Jul 16th 2004 6:53 pm

10 Reasons Why I Love America

After having a work permit for just 5 months I have a job in the field I studied at university. In England I wasn’t even close after 5 years.

Even though my salary is roughly the same as it was in England, I’m able to afford a nicer apartment in a nicer neighbourhood than I ever could in Leeds.

I’ve never once had to worry about the cost of heating…I don’t even need heating.

I’m able to eat out twice a week rather than twice a year.

The food in markets, especially fresh produce, is better quality and much cheaper.

Stores are still open when I get off work.

Electronic items are half the price – got to love the Apple store.

I get to see movies for free several months before they’re released.

I get to see film crews shooting stuff every day and tell my mother that my office building is in the new car commercial she’s watching. I know ‘the industry’ shouldn’t excite me so much, but it does.

The view from the back yard is of mountains and palm trees, not concrete highrises.

nxylas Jul 16th 2004 8:09 pm

Re: 10 Reasons Why I Love America

Originally posted by Dant3
How come, if you don't mind me asking?

Dant3 Jul 16th 2004 8:18 pm

Originally posted by nxylas
How come, if you don't mind me asking?
Maybe it's an LA thing, but outside of every major movie theatre there are people handing out flyers to various audience test screenings. Last week saw the new Ewan McGregor/Naomi Watts movie, Stay. It was absolutely terrible, but at least I won't be wasting $10 seeing it in the autumn!

Manc Jul 16th 2004 8:29 pm

After having a work permit for just 5 months
give it time ;)

James Box Jul 16th 2004 8:35 pm

Originally posted by Dant3 I’ve never once had to worry about the cost of heating…I don’t even need heating.
Now you have to worry about the cost of A/C ;)

daytona Jul 16th 2004 8:45 pm

10 other reasons why I ?? America

No decent Football
Or Cricket or Rugby
Or Pubs
Or Castles, Historic Houses, Culture
Crap TV and radio
Churches on every street corner..Lordy Lordy !
No sense of humour or irony
No using 10 words when 1,000 will suffice
Whoops..sorry I should be on the 'Moving back to the UK' site
ASAP

nxylas Jul 16th 2004 9:17 pm

Re: 10 other reasons why I ?? America

Originally posted by daytona
No decent Football
Or Cricket or Rugby
Normally that wouldn't bother me, but I was a little miffed when ESPN decided to ditch the Euro 2004 final in favour of a hot-dog eating competition. If it was some sporting event that would be a much bigger draw to an American audience, I'd understand, but a hot-dog eating competition? FFS!

Or Pubs
Yay, no drunken louts throwing up outside my house at 11pm on a Saturday night.

Or Castles, Historic Houses, Culture
Plenty of Civil War museums round my neck of the woods.

Crap TV and radio
I reckon the dross to watchable stuff ratio is not that different to UK TV (where for every Have I Got News For You there are a dozen "Cookery Makeover Idol"s). The commercials to actual television ratio is though.

Churches on every street corner..Lordy Lordy !
Some of which are quite interesting architecturally.

Bollocks!

Whoops..sorry I should be on the 'Moving back to the UK' site ASAP
Certainly sounds that way.

sohosid Jul 16th 2004 10:23 pm

Re: 10 other reasons why I ?? America

No decent Football
Or Cricket or Rugby
Or Pubs
4 reasons on my list of many for wanting to get out of the UK.......

Crap TV and radio
The only decent shows on UK TV are American......

You've seen who they voted into the White House....right???

jambo_2004 Jul 16th 2004 10:41 pm

I’m able to afford a nicer apartment in a nicer neighbourhood than I ever could in Leeds.
Can't be that nice...the cost of acomodation is through the roof in CA.

The food in markets, especially fresh produce, is better quality and much cheaper..
I'd love to know where in LA you are mate, I have relatives down there and they are always complaining about the cost of living in all aspects...in fact your wage comment doesnt make much sense either, since the wages are generally way higher to compensate for the cost of living. If you were making an equal amount in Leeds you must have been very well off.

Electronic items are half the price – got to love the Apple store..
Another falacy about the U.S. I've yet to see any real proof off, in my experience electronic goods are about the same price.

sohosid Jul 16th 2004 10:56 pm

Originally posted by jambo_2004
Another falacy about the U.S. I've yet to see any real proof off, in my experience electronic goods are about the same price.
Proof??? How about from Apples own websites.....

Current US price of the top G5: $2,999
Current UK price of top G5:£2,199 ($4,119)

Now, I may not be good at maths....but that's quite a difference......

By the way....where in Oregon are you.....visited the coast and Portland last year.....lovely place!

Mike

Big Vern Jul 16th 2004 11:17 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m able to afford a nicer apartment in a nicer neighbourhood than I ever could in Leeds.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever been to Leeds?? :scared:

:D

Patrick Jul 16th 2004 11:21 pm

After having a work permit for just 5 months I have a job in the field I studied at university. In England I wasn’t even close after 5 years.
Those bastard english, not hiring you for what you did your degree in. gosh theres a reason to hate those limeys and love the americans - you got a job?

Even though my salary is roughly the same as it was in England, I’m able to afford a nicer apartment in a nicer neighbourhood than I ever could in Leeds.
Then you should of moved out of Leeds!

I’ve never once had to worry about the cost of heating…I don’t even need heating.
Yes, you only have to worry about sky high electricity prices, air condintioning, brown outs and black outs.

need heating.

so your rent is the same as in the uk and you get paid the same but somehow you can only afford to go out twice a year in the UK, eating out isn't that much cheaper in the USA, the weather is such in LA that you want to go out.

The food in markets, especially fresh produce, is better quality and much cheaper.

What planet have you moved to?

Stores are still open when I get off work.

Did you move here from Leeds Circa 1899?

Electronic items are half the price – got to love the Apple store.

????? electronic items cheaper, maybe, half the price?

A reason to love living in LA not the USA

I get to see film crews shooting stuff every day and tell my mother that my office building is in the new car commercial she’s watching. I know ‘the industry’ shouldn’t excite me so much, but it does.
I was in the full Monty, they make movies in the UK aswell you know

The view from the back yard is of mountains and palm trees, not concrete highrises.
And you lived in Leeds, what do you think you would see in Leeds

These are without a doubt crappy reasons for loving the USA, they are nearly as bad as Darren Bs reasons for living in the USA, one of which was free refills!

Lion in Winter Jul 16th 2004 11:26 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
I was in the full Monty,

!
Ah, but did you do a full Monty?
:)

Dant3 Jul 16th 2004 11:27 pm

I'd love to know where in LA you are mate, I have relatives down there and they are always complaining about the cost of living in all aspects...in fact your wage comment doesnt make much sense either, since the wages are generally way higher to compensate for the cost of living. If you were making an equal amount in Leeds you must have been very well off.

Everyone I've come across in LA is agreed that South Pasadena is a nice place to live. A large one-bedroom apartment here costs us $850 a month. In Leeds I was paying $650 a month for a closet in a seven person shared house on the crappier side of Headingley. Trust me when I say an extra $200 a month would NOT have got me the extra 500sqft and hardwood floors I have now. In London I was paying $840 a month for a closet in a three person shared house in Shepherds-bloody-Bush, for Godsake!

I'm earning less money here than I did in Leeds. The difference is that I don't care 'cause it goes a lot further.

Mac IPod in LA is $324. In UK it's $466. ONLY a 30% difference!

Sure, LA and Southern California in general, can be expensive. If you insist on living by the beach, driving an SUV and eating lobster every night, it will cost you. But it would anywhere, not just LA. But I'm not comparing it to the rest of the US, which is significantly cheaper, I'm comparing it to the UK. Earning what I'm earning here, I could NOT have a comparable lifestyle in England. That's a fact, not an opinion.

jambo_2004 Jul 16th 2004 11:27 pm

Originally posted by Big Vern

Have you ever been to Leeds?? :scared:

:D
Fair point :D