Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

Old May 14th 2011, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light
Default 05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

US visa dreams dashed by 'glitch' [BBC News]
Old May 14th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

Originally Posted by pTeronaut
The BBC item is correct. However, your caption here is not -- the number of "winners" was correct -- however, 90% of the "entrants" were improperly excluded from the pool for selection.

From what I understand, Department of State became aware of the "glitch" almost immediately. Realizing that they were at this famous California intersection, there was probably a collective "whoops" and they had to figure out how to minimize the litigation that is sure to follow. [My good friend Terry Yale Fiertag jokes that he "... made a lot of money for other attorneys" as a result of his pro bono representation of one Refugio Silva from a FUBAR of the Visa Office.]
Old May 14th 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Probably, my original caption was "DVL drawing a fix?" which as a question would have most probably been appropriate.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:43 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The BBC item is correct. However, your caption here is not -- the number of "winners" was correct -- however, 90% of the "entrants" were improperly excluded from the pool for selection.

From what I understand, Department of State became aware of the "glitch" almost immediately. Realizing that they were at this famous California intersection, there was probably a collective "whoops" and they had to figure out how to minimize the litigation that is sure to follow. [My good friend Terry Yale Fiertag jokes that he "... made a lot of money for other attorneys" as a result of his pro bono representation of one Refugio Silva from a FUBAR of the Visa Office.]
Try the infamous but popular Daily Fail if you want a totally misleading headline:

Congratulations, you're now an American... er, sorry, we made a mistake: 50,000 immigrants who won visa lottery are stripped of citizenship after computer glitz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry-system.html
Old May 14th 2011, 3:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Try the infamous but popular Daily Fail if you want a totally misleading headline:

Congratulations, you're now an American... er, sorry, we made a mistake: 50,000 immigrants who won visa lottery are stripped of citizenship after computer glitz

Bloody British journos can't even use English properly - it's glitch - glitz is glittery stuff. Morons.

I even find stuff like this on the BBC News Web site and newspapers like the Times these days. Product of a permissive, liberal teaching philosophy that crept in during the 90s onwards.

Last edited by dunroving; May 14th 2011 at 3:42 pm.
Old May 14th 2011, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

Suddenly a glut of tickets to Florida get cancelled
Old May 15th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Bloody British journos can't even use English properly - it's glitch - glitz is glittery stuff. Morons.

I even find stuff like this on the BBC News Web site and newspapers like the Times these days. Product of a permissive, liberal teaching philosophy that crept in during the 90s onwards.
Americans can't spell either - I see it everyday at work. I am embarrassed to read some of the internal emails my manager sends me - her spelling is atrocious - and she went to college - I didn't! This isn't just one person either - I see it all the time here.
Old May 15th 2011, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Americans can't spell either - I see it everyday at work. I am embarrassed to read some of the internal emails my manager sends me - her spelling is atrocious - and she went to college - I didn't! This isn't just one person either - I see it all the time here.
Sadly, the US school system has changed from educating little Johnny, to helping little Johnny feel good about himself. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread!

Ian
Old May 16th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Sadly, the US school system has changed from educating little Johnny, to helping little Johnny feel good about himself. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread!

Ian
For years I have noted the increasing inability of people to write a clear and coherent sentence. That said, I now blame the increasing use of spell checkers as a factor -- "It is with grate pried ..." does not note on this "cite" as having "great" and "pride" being misspelled.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
For years I have noted the increasing inability of people to write a clear and coherent sentence. That said, I now blame the increasing use of spell checkers as a factor -- "It is with grate pried ..." does not note on this "cite" as having "great" and "pride" being misspelled.
Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer.
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl mistakes!

Ian