British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/05-01-11-dvl-drawing-results-too-many-winners-716947/)

pTeronaut May 14th 2011 1:48 am

05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

US visa dreams dashed by 'glitch' [BBC News]

S Folinsky May 14th 2011 10:30 am

Re: 05/01/11 DVL drawing results in too many winners.

Originally Posted by pTeronaut (Post 9363347)

The BBC item is correct. However, your caption here is not -- the number of "winners" was correct -- however, 90% of the "entrants" were improperly excluded from the pool for selection.

From what I understand, Department of State became aware of the "glitch" almost immediately. Realizing that they were at this famous California intersection, there was probably a collective "whoops" and they had to figure out how to minimize the litigation that is sure to follow. [My good friend Terry Yale Fiertag jokes that he "... made a lot of money for other attorneys" as a result of his pro bono representation of one Refugio Silva from a FUBAR of the Visa Office.]

pTeronaut May 14th 2011 12:28 pm

Probably, my original caption was "DVL drawing a fix?" which as a question would have most probably been appropriate.

fatbrit May 14th 2011 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9363824)
The BBC item is correct. However, your caption here is not -- the number of "winners" was correct -- however, 90% of the "entrants" were improperly excluded from the pool for selection.

From what I understand, Department of State became aware of the "glitch" almost immediately. Realizing that they were at this famous California intersection, there was probably a collective "whoops" and they had to figure out how to minimize the litigation that is sure to follow. [My good friend Terry Yale Fiertag jokes that he "... made a lot of money for other attorneys" as a result of his pro bono representation of one Refugio Silva from a FUBAR of the Visa Office.]

Try the infamous but popular Daily Fail if you want a totally misleading headline:

Congratulations, you're now an American... er, sorry, we made a mistake: 50,000 immigrants who won visa lottery are stripped of citizenship after computer glitz

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ry-system.html

dunroving May 14th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9364105)
Try the infamous but popular Daily Fail if you want a totally misleading headline:

Congratulations, you're now an American... er, sorry, we made a mistake: 50,000 immigrants who won visa lottery are stripped of citizenship after computer glitz

Bloody British journos can't even use English properly - it's glitch - glitz is glittery stuff. Morons.

I even find stuff like this on the BBC News Web site and newspapers like the Times these days. Product of a permissive, liberal teaching philosophy that crept in during the 90s onwards.

Bob May 14th 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9364105)

Suddenly a glut of tickets to Florida get cancelled :lol:

Derrygal May 15th 2011 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9364210)
Bloody British journos can't even use English properly - it's glitch - glitz is glittery stuff. Morons.

I even find stuff like this on the BBC News Web site and newspapers like the Times these days. Product of a permissive, liberal teaching philosophy that crept in during the 90s onwards.

Americans can't spell either - I see it everyday at work. I am embarrassed to read some of the internal emails my manager sends me - her spelling is atrocious - and she went to college - I didn't! This isn't just one person either - I see it all the time here.

ian-mstm May 15th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 9365423)
Americans can't spell either - I see it everyday at work. I am embarrassed to read some of the internal emails my manager sends me - her spelling is atrocious - and she went to college - I didn't! This isn't just one person either - I see it all the time here.

Sadly, the US school system has changed from educating little Johnny, to helping little Johnny feel good about himself. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread!

Ian

S Folinsky May 16th 2011 4:00 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9365485)
Sadly, the US school system has changed from educating little Johnny, to helping little Johnny feel good about himself. Anyway, that's a topic for another thread!

Ian

For years I have noted the increasing inability of people to write a clear and coherent sentence. That said, I now blame the increasing use of spell checkers as a factor -- "It is with grate pried ..." does not note on this "cite" as having "great" and "pride" being misspelled. :D

ian-mstm May 16th 2011 8:13 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9366549)
For years I have noted the increasing inability of people to write a clear and coherent sentence. That said, I now blame the increasing use of spell checkers as a factor -- "It is with grate pried ..." does not note on this "cite" as having "great" and "pride" being misspelled. :D

Ode to the Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer.
It came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl mistakes!

Ian