Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

** The Official USA job and career thread**

** The Official USA job and career thread**

Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** The Official USA job and career thread**

Originally Posted by lionheart
Just in case anyone was in doubt what a f**k up I am, I would like to share yesterday's blog entry on interview number 13;

http://britishexpats.com/blogs/lionheart/

On a more positive note I have got a call back for a second interview for a position I tried for last week............ which means another 150 mile roundtrip drive to Rialto, CA at 7AM tomorrow. I am so tired and bored of this whole process
ouch...but on the plus side, you at least found the place, and was only a half hour late this time

Well good luck with the second interview place
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Burbank is horrible, I can't even find IKEA unaided, let alone get to an interview, I feel for you lionheart

All the very best for tomorrow xx
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:33 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Just got a call back from interview # 13, they rejected me for a variety of reasons including why I left my last company, thanks old boss I am having problems explaining that one - If you are truthful it is seen as sour grapes bashing your boss, I tell them about the error and they think I am leaving something out, or have actually stole $3500.00 in cash :scared:
Do have an increased offer from a job I rejected last week - still not good enough.
A tentative offer from a large company going back to what I was doing 12 years ago in a completely different field to my last job.
And a second interview for a position - 150 mile roundtrip journey tomorrow morning as mentioned.
I have been on the phone most of the day as everything is coming at me all at once, this is more work than my actual job was.
I feel like just taking the next offer which is something I said I wouldn't do six months ago.
I feel like getting pissed................... but can't even do that as I have to be up at 6 AM for the interview
Old Nov 16th 2005, 12:37 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

During my senior year at college, I attended a resume/interview seminar at the career center. The advisor said two things that I still remember after all these years:

1) The person who gets your resume only spends an average of 17 seconds looking it over. Seventeen seconds is NOT a long time -- which is why jobhunters are encouraged to try to fit as much as possible on to one page.

2) In regards to the interview, the interviewer wants to know about you, your experience and your capabilities. So their questions will mainly (and sometimes only) revolve around those three things. The thing to keep in mind is that of all the people on this planet, YOU are the only expert on YOU. Therefore, there really isn't much to be nervous about, because they will be asking you questions on a subject of which you are an absolute expert.

Knowing these two tidbits of information has helped me over the years -- they're simple and yet they make sense.

~ Jenney
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:58 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
1) The person who gets your resume only spends an average of 17 seconds looking it over. Seventeen seconds is NOT a long time -- which is why jobhunters are encouraged to try to fit as much as possible on to one page.
I completely disagree. Your resume should contain as much "white space" as possible. It should be concise and focused on specific objectives you've achieved. Forcing yourself to leave parts of the page blank will tighten the resume and make it easier for someone to read.

2) In regards to the interview, the interviewer wants to know about you, your experience and your capabilities. So their questions will mainly (and sometimes only) revolve around those three things. The thing to keep in mind is that of all the people on this planet, YOU are the only expert on YOU. Therefore, there really isn't much to be nervous about, because they will be asking you questions on a subject of which you are an absolute expert.
I completely agree with this one. There's nothing worse than accepting and working at a job that you really didn't want in the first place. Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I completely disagree. Your resume should contain as much "white space" as possible. It should be concise and focused on specific objectives you've achieved. Forcing yourself to leave parts of the page blank will tighten the resume and make it easier for someone to read.

I completely agree with this one. There's nothing worse than accepting and working at a job that you really didn't want in the first place. Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.
Both the points you make have validity and yet can be difficult to implement in the real world.

If you leave the requisite 'white space' to make the resume visually appealing, you are at risk of leaving out important information that the person reading may need/want in order to make a decision on whether to call you for interview. This conundrum gets worse the more experience you have and the higher the level of the position applied for.

It may be true that "There's nothing worse than accepting and working at a job that you really didn't want in the first place" but many people who work to live, rather than the other way around, may find it difficult to "Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may". This may be possible for a while, but at some point bills have to be paid and food put on the table.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:02 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Both the points you make have validity and yet can be difficult to implement in the real world.

If you leave the requisite 'white space' to make the resume visually appealing, you are at risk of leaving out important information that the person reading may need/want in order to make a decision on whether to call you for interview. This conundrum gets worse the more experience you have and the higher the level of the position applied for.

It may be true that "There's nothing worse than accepting and working at a job that you really didn't want in the first place" but many people who work to live, rather than the other way around, may find it difficult to "Just be yourself and let the chips fall where they may". This may be possible for a while, but at some point bills have to be paid and food put on the table.
Or you could just put the chips that fall, on the dinner table

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Nov 16th 2005 at 8:06 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:20 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just put the chips that fall, on the dinner table

I may just be a bit slow today - or preoccupied with work "issues" - but what do you mean?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:15 pm
Banned

I may just be a bit slow today - or preoccupied with work "issues" - but what do you mean?
It's a joke, putting the chips that fall where they may on the table as food.......... shite joke
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:22 pm
Homebody

It's a joke, putting the chips that fall where they may on the table as food.......... shite joke
Yep - letting the chips fall where they may, but at the time I just couldn't see how this related to my earlier post...

Was having a really shitty day - project for new client at risk of unravelling. Oh the joys of self-employment! (Have you considered this at all - it does have advantages. Even though I tear out my hair at times I still prefer it over wage-slavery.)

Anyway, I seem to have managed to get it sorted - big relief Hope your day today is better than yesterday (or was it Monday?)
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:40 pm
Banned

Yep - letting the chips fall where they may, but at the time I just couldn't see how this related to my earlier post...

Was having a really shitty day - project for new client at risk of unravelling. Oh the joys of self-employment! (Have you considered this at all - it does have advantages. Even though I tear out my hair at times I still prefer it over wage-slavery.)

Anyway, I seem to have managed to get it sorted - big relief Hope your day today is better than yesterday (or was it Monday?)
Everything is okay. I was just really mad with myself that I was stupid enough to make a mess out of an important interview. Things look brighter today. Not a good time to consider my own business witn a kid on the way.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:53 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Personally, I'm in a highly unusual scientific field.
What if it rains? Don't all the instruments get wet?
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:16 pm
Homebody

Not a good time to consider my own business witn a kid on the way.
Funny you should say that! I orginally set up my own consultancy when I was pregnant with # 1. That was over 20 years ago - never looked back!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything is okay. I was just really mad with myself that I was stupid enough to make a mess out of an important interview. Things look brighter today. Not a good time to consider my own business witn a kid on the way.
Hope the chips fell ok for you today lionheart.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Hope the chips fell ok for you today lionheart.
Thanks, should hear something on the two positions I am keen on by next week??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.