Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

** The Official USA job and career thread**

** The Official USA job and career thread**

Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:03 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** The Official USA job and career thread**

I should have mentioned that those generic employment websites (Monster, Career Launcher, Hot Jobs) are useful if you are in fairly common industries, and are at the lower- to middle-part of the ladder. As you progress in your career, or if you are in a specialized field, you will find these sites much less helpful. Those sites are not terribly helpful to me at this point -- out of 1,000 hits that the site will generate, I'm lucky to find two listings that are suitable to me -- but that ratio won't be the same for everyone.

I believe that this is the same in the UK, but as you climb the white-collar ladder, you will find fewer jobs posted and more available only through recruiters ("headhunters", but don't call one that to his face, they don't care for the term.) The most effective job hunt will combine networking, the use of recruiters (or agencies for lower-level work), classified ads, sources specific to your industry and targeting firms in your industry where you'd like to end up.

Do sell yourself and your accomplishments -- to an American, that's considered to be a sign of confidence, not arrogance. Braggadocio is not necessary, but an ability to promote your virtues without abrasiveness or pompousness is considered to be a positive. Get business cards of whomever you meet and do send thank-you's.

And if you get a preliminary phone call, don't assume that someone is phoning you simply to schedule an in-person interview -- treat the phone call as an interview unto itself, and be prepared to pitch.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I should have mentioned that those generic employment websites (Monster, Career Launcher, Hot Jobs) are useful if you are in fairly common industries, and are at the lower- to middle-part of the ladder. As you progress in your career, or if you are in a specialized field, you will find these sites much less helpful. Those sites are not terribly helpful to me at this point -- out of 1,000 hits that the site will generate, I'm lucky to find two listings that are suitable to me -- but that ratio won't be the same for everyone.
To add to those...some other general ones...

http://www.job-hunt.org/

http://careernet.4jobs.com/

http://www.careers.org/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/directory.php Just a directory really, this is geared towards games, but has links to directories in other sectors..

http://careers.awn.com/joblist Art based jobs, big on the webbie and animation

http://www.thescratchpost.com/ art jobs

for when I was bothered looking for what I'd studied - product design, industrial design, engineering, CAD and all that phoofar shite

http://www.coroflot.com/

http://www.thingamajob.com/default.aspx
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Also, check out a CraigsList.org site in your area.
I found Craigslist ..you pervert
<snip>

Last edited by Bob; Nov 12th 2005 at 10:20 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I found Craigslist ..you pervert
<snip>
:scared:

Last edited by Bob; Nov 12th 2005 at 10:20 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:46 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
:scared:
Rays had the snip?
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:36 am
Just Joined

ricflair is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

I’m 25, father of 2 young children and married. I’ve worked in IT as a network support engineer for the past 5 years, and in IT for a total of 8 years (so far ), however my current duties are more IT management than just solely support. I work for a large national newspaper group, working around numerous remote offices for various papers. Still in the UK, we live in the north of England and not seeing any scope for progression in my current role I want to move on. Ideally id likes to create a new life for us in USA.

What im asking (and if it’s unrelated to this thread then im sorry) is if you could offer me your recommendations on what steps you would take yourselves from here. All opinions, negative and positive wanted please. From what I can gather it seems like it’s made as hard as possible to employ a brit, although maybe that’s just my cynical spin on what ive come across in the last few years of looking.

Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2005, 1:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricflair
What im asking (and if it’s unrelated to this thread then im sorry) is if you could offer me your recommendations on what steps you would take yourselves from here. All opinions, negative and positive wanted please. From what I can gather it seems like it’s made as hard as possible to employ a brit, although maybe that’s just my cynical spin on what ive come across in the last few years of looking.
faq...top of this forum...it'll have your options...basically it's really tough, find someone to sponsor you for an H1B....or even better would be a company transfer, L1 visa...those are the main ones for work visa's...but it's tough getting an IT job in the US unless you have niche skills because it's a dime a dozen field...might have more luck else where...goodluck
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:33 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricflair
Guys,

I’m 25, father of 2 young children and married. I’ve worked in IT as a network support engineer for the past 5 years, and in IT for a total of 8 years (so far ), however my current duties are more IT management than just solely support. I work for a large national newspaper group, working around numerous remote offices for various papers. Still in the UK, we live in the north of England and not seeing any scope for progression in my current role I want to move on. Ideally id likes to create a new life for us in USA.

Thanks
I'll cut to the chase. With your age and experience, your current job and your field of expertise, you don't stand a hope in hell of an H1-B visa, so your only real chance of moving to the US is to get a transfer within your current company.

If you could find a US company who was prepared to sponsor you for an H1-B visa, and if they found a way to claim that there were no US workers qualified to do the job they had for you, then you would have to have them apply for an H1-B in April 2006, to start work in October 2006.

Unless you can see that one of the other visa criteria in the FAQ fit your circumstances.

It's not just difficult to get an H1-B visa. For most people it's simply impossible. Right now there are 65,000 of them per year for the whole of the US, and they go to people with skills that are rare or scarce enough that firms can't recruit for them from the US workforce.

As I write this it sounds overly harsh, and I may be being a complete shit, but that doesn't change the facts. There are other countries (Canada, Australia, New Zealand to name a few) that it's easier to get into with a work visa. The US is not one of them. Sorry.

EDIT: The good news is that I see you're already looking at other options. If you're really determined to leave the UK then applying for a job in Gibraltar may be a good bet.

Last edited by dbj1000; Nov 13th 2005 at 3:36 am.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:49 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
an H1-B visa, and if they found a way to claim that there were no US workers qualified to do the job they had for you, .
Thats not actually correct .. that would only come up when applying for a AOS... to Permanent resident
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:52 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Thats not actually correct .. that would only come up when applying for a AOS... to Permanent resident
Then I'm confused Ray. I know that Labor Certification is part of the Permanent Residency application, but doesn't a company applying for an H1-B position need to show that they have attempted to recruit for the role locally?

EDIT: None of which changes the point that the OP won't get an H1-B visa.

Last edited by dbj1000; Nov 13th 2005 at 3:57 am.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:58 am
Ray

Then I'm confused Ray. I know that Labor Certification is part of the Permanent Residency application, but doesn't a company applying for an H1-B position need to show that they have attempted to recruit for the role locally?
No ... thats only for the Permanent Residency application
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:04 am
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Ray
No ... thats only for the Permanent Residency application
My mistake. So then the only requirement for an H1-B application is that the sponsoring company is applying for a visa for someone in a specialty occupation, and that they get the application in before the 65,000 annual cap is reached...

...which typically happens rather quickly at the moment.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:43 am
Ray

My mistake. So then the only requirement for an H1-B application is that the sponsoring company is applying for a visa for someone in a specialty occupation, and that they get the application in before the 65,000 annual cap is reached...
Yup ... and being that some are reserved for certain sections ..
it was only 58k this year ..
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

And those are applications aren't they? so if you don't get it, wasted money...and they aren't cheap, so really would have to offer something special for a company to bother with...
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:18 am
Just Joined

ricflair is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. Wasnt what i wanted to hear, but is pretty much what i had gatherd anyway.

On the subject of transfering with your company, would that include all the various companies within a group?

for instance i work for a company that is part of the DMGT, they also own newspapers and various media outlets throughout the world. Just wondering if thats an avenue i could pursue , or if its got to be the exact same company that im in now(the same newspaper).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.