Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

Wikiposts

$92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:11 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Bankruptcy varies by State...
I thought bankruptcy laws/courts were federal?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 10:20 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy varies by State, generally speaking you do get to keep quite a lot more than you would think.

But that assumes that a Hospital would go to the expense of Bankrupting somebody who clearly had nothing they could get their hands on. I always assumed that they sold them on for pennies on the dollar.
Bankruptcy is no longer an option for most:

"President Bush signed the biggest rewrite of U.S. bankruptcy law in a quarter century, making it harder for debt-ridden Americans to wipe out their obligations.......

Many debtors will have to work out repayment plans instead of having their obligations erased in bankruptcy court under the law, which will go into effect in six months. The 500-page legislation won final congressional approval last week after being pushed for eight years by banks and credit card companies. The measure would require people with incomes above a certain level to pay some or all of their credit-card charges, medical bills and other obligations under a court-ordered bankruptcy plan."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7575010/
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bankruptcy protection still exists. The only real difference is that you now must go through a "means test" to determine whether you can go through a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Essentially, if your income falls below a certain amount, you may be able to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. If not, you can still file for bankruptcy under Chapter 13.

Judging by this persons occupation, I would expect Chapter 7 may be possible. Anyway something we will never know and outside the scope of this thread. There are State variances on Bankruptcy.

The big big mistake she made was giving the hospital personal information, they have an obligation to treat her, she does not have one to comit financial suicide.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:47 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Bankruptcy is no longer an option for most:

"President Bush signed the biggest rewrite of U.S. bankruptcy law in a quarter century, making it harder for debt-ridden Americans to wipe out their obligations.......

Many debtors will have to work out repayment plans instead of having their obligations erased in bankruptcy court under the law, which will go into effect in six months. The 500-page legislation won final congressional approval last week after being pushed for eight years by banks and credit card companies. The measure would require people with incomes above a certain level to pay some or all of their credit-card charges, medical bills and other obligations under a court-ordered bankruptcy plan."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7575010/
To be fair this is probably not a bad thing.
With my father being an accountant I have heard many stories of small business going to the wall when debtors filed for bankruptcy. On the flipside I know of a couple of unsavoury characters who have filed for bankruptcy more than once yet still swan around in nice cars, etc.
Of course you'll probably correct me here by informing me that this legislation is intended to apply only to medical bills, in which case I'm not sure what to say :curse:
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Alright I know I am stretching this but what if after the assets there is still not enough, what if they have no assets in the 1st place?
you'd end up paying the minimum they think you can afford every month, even if it is $5 a month...till you die, or paid it off...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:28 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

The big big mistake she made was giving the hospital personal information, they have an obligation to treat her, she does not have one to comit financial suicide.
Can you elaborate? What kind of personal information are you referring to? Surely you have to give them your name and address? I got hospitalised in Oregon last year, & in my innocence just answered their questions honsetly.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 8:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starseed
Can you elaborate? What kind of personal information are you referring to? Surely you have to give them your name and address? I got hospitalised in Oregon last year, & in my innocence just answered their questions honsetly.
Make up a name with no fixed abode...
Old Nov 5th 2007, 10:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Starseed
Perhaps the shock of the illness might cause you to forget your name and address? Pain can do funny things to people!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perhaps the shock of the illness might cause you to forget your name and address? Pain can do funny things to people!
A $92,000 bill would also have that impact on me.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:33 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy varies by State, generally speaking you do get to keep quite a lot more than you would think.
This is very true. Florida has just increased their exemption allowance for personal property from $1000 to either $4000 or $5000, forget which. That's a lot more personal property!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

krishnax is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
you'd end up paying the minimum they think you can afford every month, even if it is $5 a month...till you die, or paid it off...
Do you mean the maximum they think you can afford?