Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

$92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation $92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

A New Jersey woman visiting a friend in Arizona was bitten on her feet by a rattler.

She was uninsured (she's a licensed acupuncturist and massage therapist) and as she's not a resident of Arizona, did not qualify for charity care.

Her hospital bill is $92,000 and according to the newspaper report, the hospital has so far been unwilling to negotiate.....

http://www.nj.com/starledger/stories...580.xml&coll=1

(Personally I think I would have died of shock.....from the snake bites!)
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $92,000 medical bill for snake bites!

Originally Posted by Englishmum
A New Jersey woman visiting a friend in Arizona was bitten on her feet by a rattler.

She was uninsured (she's a licensed acupuncturist and massage therapist) and as she's not a resident of Arizona, did not qualify for charity care.

Her hospital bill is $92,000 and according to the newspaper report, the hospital has so far been unwilling to negotiate.....

I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the costs...... $400 every time a doctor looked at her for 10 seconds, $250 for a dose of ASA, $150 for Kleenex......... plus thousands for 'tests' etc that may or may not have been necessary.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:57 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

There goes my blood pressure.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:26 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
There goes my blood pressure.
OMG.
I used to drink them every friday and saturday night.
Did they use too much Cider?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'd be interested to see the breakdown of the costs...... $400 every time a doctor looked at her for 10 seconds, $250 for a dose of ASA, $150 for Kleenex......... plus thousands for 'tests' etc that may or may not have been necessary.
65000 of it is for the anti-venom as the article says, and she spent a few days in intensive care, none of which is cheap.

Canadian hospitals are no better if you dont have insurance.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

The US med system is corrupt. Nuff said. Vile usurers the lot of 'em.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 1:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A classic example of the need for a basic knowledge of Spanish.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:22 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Her hospital bill is $92,000
Nora Johnson, director of education and hospital billing compliance for Medical Billing Advocates of America, who advocated for Marilyn Hess, estimates “eight out of every 10” hospital bills she scrutinizes contain multiple errors. And while bills from doctors’ offices and labs tend to contain fewer mistakes, consumers can still end up paying unnecessarily.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21527433
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Being quite ignorant here, but what does one do if faced with a large medical bill as above and has no meens of paying it, its something that has crossed my mind a few times, what happens to the bill if they plain and simple can't and never likely able to pay it!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Being quite ignorant here, but what does one do if faced with a large medical bill as above and has no meens of paying it, its something that has crossed my mind a few times, what happens to the bill if they plain and simple can't and never likely able to pay it!!
The major cause of bankruptcy in the US is because people can't pay the healthcare bills.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The major cause of bankruptcy in the US is because people can't pay the healthcare bills.
Except Shrub closed that loophole - you can no longer go bankrupt for medical expenses.

In other words, they'll take you for every last penny and asset you've got...
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Except Shrub closed that loophole - you can no longer go bankrupt for medical expenses.

Oh yes that's right...I forgot.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh yes that's right...I forgot.
My goodness that's a lot of dosh in anyones currency !
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:36 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Alright I know I am stretching this but what if after the assets there is still not enough, what if they have no assets in the 1st place?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bankruptcy varies by State, generally speaking you do get to keep quite a lot more than you would think.

But that assumes that a Hospital would go to the expense of Bankrupting somebody who clearly had nothing they could get their hands on. I always assumed that they sold them on for pennies on the dollar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.