Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$60 haircut - how much tip should I leave?

$60 haircut - how much tip should I leave?

Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $60 haircut - how much tip should I leave?

Originally Posted by Michael
If she is good and has a high demand for her services, you may find it difficult to get an appointment with her if you don't tip. Also if it is a small salon, the owner may be struggling also to get her business going.
I go to a small local salon...I prefer to patron local businesses if possible. The owner has cut my hair at short notice when my regular stylist has been away. I gave her the same tip as I normally do...mainly because she fitted me in.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:01 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have to admit our eyes were opened to tipping when our daughter started waiting tables. As Brits most of us aren't used to tipping because employees are normally paid a decent wage...so receiving an odd tip here and there is just icing on the cake...not bread and butter as it is here.
Even in the UK most bartenders and waiters only get minimum wage or just above unless you are working in London and even then it's not great. My friends daughter waits tables part time in Ashford while she is in college and only gets 5 quid per hour and alot of people don't tip. I tip when I go over there as well.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Isn't it a lot.. but I've been paying that much, and it is worth every cent to have someone who actually knows what she is doing. Plus, I don't have to go every month anymore, so I figure it works out.

Eric, your tip was probably fine. I give her $15, but we have a long time relationship and she always gets me some extras.
Pretty cheap for a bird, but for a bloke?

Where we moved to, things seem a lot cheaper for stuff like this, went to a poncy place and it was only $20 but where we were that would be for a super cuts kind of deal....though those places only pay employees $2hr and they didn't get a slice of the haircut so relied on tips.

Moving a bit further to the burbs is a bit of a eye opener, just got a quote at a garage for some work and they only charge $65hr for labour, going rate down where we were was $100hr.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 10:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Pretty cheap for a bird, but for a bloke?

Where we moved to, things seem a lot cheaper for stuff like this, went to a poncy place and it was only $20 but where we were that would be for a super cuts kind of deal....though those places only pay employees $2hr and they didn't get a slice of the haircut so relied on tips.

Moving a bit further to the burbs is a bit of a eye opener, just got a quote at a garage for some work and they only charge $65hr for labour, going rate down where we were was $100hr.
If you've got a bowl, I've got a set of clippers. Be happy to fix you up, for free.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you've got a bowl, I've got a set of clippers. Be happy to fix you up, for free.
I'm so not looking for a bowl cut