Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

YIKES--passport not stamped at green card interview

YIKES--passport not stamped at green card interview

Old Feb 20th 2001, 8:54 pm
Susan Manning

hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a us citizen
and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk to
her supervisor. does anyone have any experience with this? there were a couple of
documents she asked about that we didn't have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g.
previous lease) and she thought it strange that my husband had listed my sister instead of
me as an emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there any chance
they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take? thanks!!!

Old Feb 20th 2001, 9:01 pm
Andy Platt

Don't panic. At least one person from Baltimore experienced exactly the same thing the
other week ... the interviewer was still in training and was not qualified to make the
final approval. I would contact them if you haven't heard anything in a month.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a
us
> citizen and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
> expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk to
> her supervisor. does anyone have any
experience
> with this? there were a couple of documents she asked about that we
didn't
> have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g. previous lease) and she thought it strange
> that my husband had listed my sister instead of me as
an
> emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there
any
> chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take? thanks!!!

Old Feb 20th 2001, 10:03 pm
Linda

Andy's right... don't panic, you (like Nic and I) haven't been denied.. you've been put
on hold. Maybe for just a short while. If I could go back and change anything, it would
be to do what Andy says, check on your status in a month if you haven't heard
anything... and then keep asking for status updates every month or so after that. We
couldn't have anticipated everything the officer was going to ask for (this newsgroup
was a newborn and I didn't find it in time) we just went by what the checklist we got
said. Bummer and dirty trick for them to turn around and require more than they asked
for, but INS can and sometimes
do. They have what we want, so sit tight and wait some more... you know how to do that by
now. I still think that adding more possible items to the list on the FAQ couldn't
hurt, and I think too, that we all shouldn't get our hopes so built up for an answer
at interview. It simply does not always happen Linda

Andy Platt wrote:
>
> Don't panic. At least one person from Baltimore experienced exactly the same thing the
> other week ... the interviewer was still in training and was not qualified to make the
> final approval. I would contact them if you haven't heard anything in a month.
>
> Andy.
>
> --
> I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i am a
> us
> > citizen and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp his passport as
> > expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision right away but needed to talk
> > to her supervisor. does anyone have any
> experience
> > with this? there were a couple of documents she asked about that we
> didn't
> > have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g. previous lease) and she thought it
> > strange that my husband had listed my sister instead of me as
> an
> > emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is there
> any
> > chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will this take?
> > thanks!!!
> >

Old Feb 20th 2001, 10:58 pm
Susan Manning

dear linda and andy, thanks so much for your responses!! linda--what is your situation?
did you get the green card eventually? what did they tell you and how long did it take?
thanks again! susan

> Andy's right... don't panic, you (like Nic and I) haven't been denied.. you've been put
> on hold. Maybe for just a short while. If I could go back and change anything, it would
> be to do what Andy says, check on your status in a month if you haven't heard
> anything... and then keep asking for status updates every month or so after that. We
> couldn't have anticipated everything the officer was going to ask for (this newsgroup
> was a newborn and I didn't find it in time) we just went by what the checklist we got
> said. Bummer and dirty trick for them to turn around and require more than they asked
> for, but INS can and sometimes
> do. They have what we want, so sit tight and wait some more... you know how to do that
> by now. I still think that adding more possible items to the list on the FAQ
> couldn't hurt, and I think too, that we all shouldn't get our hopes so built up for
> an answer at interview. It simply does not always happen Linda
>
> Andy Platt wrote:
> >
> > Don't panic. At least one person from Baltimore experienced exactly the
same
> > thing the other week ... the interviewer was still in training and was
not
> > qualified to make the final approval. I would contact them if you
haven't
> > heard anything in a month.
> >
> > Andy.
> >
> > --
> > I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

> > > hi, my husband and i had our green card interview today in baltimore. i
am a
> > us
> > > citizen and he applied based on marriage. the officer did not stamp
his
> > > passport as expected--instead she said she couldn't make a decision
right
> > > away but needed to talk to her supervisor. does anyone have any
> > experience
> > > with this? there were a couple of documents she asked about that we
> > didn't
> > > have (that weren't on the list to bring, e.g. previous lease) and she thought it
> > > strange that my husband had listed my sister instead of me
as
> > an
> > > emergency contact. but our marriage is completely legitimate. is
there
> > any
> > > chance they could reject us, and if so on what basis? how long will
this
> > > take? thanks!!!
> > >
>