Wow!

Old Apr 21st 2001, 2:10 am
mj

>
    >

I miss a few of the posts too, and I apologize in advance for sounding like a jerk,
but... Personally, I always thought Deja was a pain, and I only used it to look for
really old posts. I have used Agent and Free Agent for several years, thru 2 ISPs.
You can go to group properties and set the "purging" for "never". Also, what I do to
get the messages is:
1. Download all the headers.
2. Select all, then mark the headers for retrieval.
3. Retrieve all the message bodies.
4. Select all, then "keep" messages. This process takes all of 2 minutes at the most.
At home, I will monthly "save messages as" to a text file, in addition to cut and
pasting the archive files. I keep zip drive backups. In this fashion, I can save
every single post made to the group forever, do a "find" thru every post in the
agent "dat" file (using agent), plus (using the "find files or folders" off the
start menu) do directory searches thru any of the ex-faq guy archive on the hard
drive, or any of the monthly "save messages as" text files. I never lose the posts
that drop off the news servers, and I can answer any question that Grinch might
pose for the Christmas trivia quiz, and I can do it within about 30 seconds. Just
my two cents. Reading a usenet group thru a browser is tedium ad infinitum. Mike

Old Apr 21st 2001, 2:59 am
Jeff Hynds

Alvena et.al.,

Interesting about Australia not allowing dual citizenship. I have a very close
friend, a former Dean of Law at NWU in Australia (he specializes in business law, not
immigration law) who holds dual Austrailian-United Kingdom citizenship. At least he
thinks he does. He has currently valid passports from both countries.

I don't find anything about Australia's citizenship laws at either of the sites you
referenced. Have you got any other references?

Regards, JEff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------
Alvena Ferreira
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Australia rescinds citizenship of Australians if they immigrate to the[/usenetquote2]
U.S.
[usenetquote2]>> without the consent of the immigrant? Wow, that's harsh! Also something I'd like[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> to know about, as my fiance is Australian and most assuredly[/usenetquote2]
does
[usenetquote2]>> not wish to give up his Australian citizenship. Can you point me[/usenetquote2]
someplace
[usenetquote2]>> where I might learn more about this? Thanks very much.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 21st 2001, 4:00 am
Betastar

[usenetquote2]>>For some reason I'm not getting all the posts through Free Agent (I *still* miss[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Deja!) but I do sometimes get them through replies.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

One man gathers what another man spills...

I liked Deja because I could read from work, school, when I travel etc. and not have
to figure out what posts I have and haven't read.

I miss my Deja breaks at work.

To each his own.

Old Apr 21st 2001, 4:22 am
Alvena Ferreira

Jeff Hynds wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
See this URL: http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/c...01/01cib05.htm

this form seems to indicate that you could get it back pretty easily, however:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/132.pdf

alvena

Old Apr 21st 2001, 5:17 am
Keely Willoughby

Hi Kelly.

Well I am Australian and I did nothing of the sought before I left Adelaide. My Mums
partner is a tax accountant and he advised me of the in's and out's before I left.
Yes I have to get my taxes done this year, but I do not have to pay tax next
year....I don't have a job there.....I don't own a business......therefore I don't
pay tax in Australia and I don't pay tax on the job I have in the US to Australia
either..... So I was advised that I would be just fine....

So maybe it really just depends on some other things..

I don't know....

Keely

Old Apr 21st 2001, 1:33 pm
Grinch

Try this Battlestar

http://britishexpats.com

Good for the work breaks

Grinch

>

[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>For some reason I'm not getting all the posts through Free Agent (I *still* miss[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>Deja!) but I do sometimes get them through replies.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >I miss a few of the posts too, and I apologize in advance for sounding like a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >jerk, but... Personally, I always thought Deja was a pain, and I only used it to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >look for really old posts.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 21st 2001, 1:45 pm
Kelly Daken

Keely, I haad recieved similar information to you early in the piece, but the part
where it makes a difference is that in the front of the tax pack it lists all of the
people who must file a return, one of these is "residents of Australia who earn more
than $6000/year". What the ATO told me was that until revoked I would still be a
"taxation resident" of Australia. Taking note that this is a legal definition not
actually where you live and work. When you file your return you must declare overseas
earnings. Now if you wait until June 30 to file your final tax return here you will
have to declare any earnings in the US but then you will tick the box that asks if
this is your final tax return in Australia and give the reason that you have
immigrated to the US. This is actually a revocation of your taxation residency in
Australia. What I was passing on is that if you do earn any money in the US before
June 30 you must convert it to $AU and enter it on your return. What I am going to do
is revoke my taxation residency just before I leave and file a tax return then to get
my refund ($2000) within three weeks because I am immigrating. This is what the ATO
recommends that all immigrants do. Employers do have to provide you with your group
certificate early in this situation if you ask for it. A good friend of mine's father
worked on a contract basis in Washington (H1B I think) and had to file Australian
taxes for the three years he was there as he was not permanantly leaving Australia.
So all that is different in what you say is that you are waiting til the end of the
Australian Financial Year to revoke your Australian Taxation Residency. Kelly

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 21st 2001, 3:45 pm
Betastar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grinch
[B]Try this Battlestar

http://britishexpats.com

Good for the work breaks

Thanks! I'm testing it out now... seems to add lots of
HTML stuff in there....

Betastar

Old Apr 21st 2001, 3:55 pm
Keely Willoughby

Hi Kelly

Well thank god I didn't earn that much when I was living in Adelaide (LOL)!!!!!!!!!

An actually job.......sheesh!!!!

And it doesn't look like Portland INS are in too much of a hurry here to even issue
me work auth......so I think I am going to be just fine.

I didn't have a job at all.....so I know I owe nothing to the tax man, that's why I
chatted to my Mums dear old tax accountant boyfriend he is handling all of my tax
business.....

What I want to know is would you actually tell the Tax Agency in Australia? (LOL)

I know someone who works for Disney Cruise Lines and he doesn't declare anything to
the tax man in Australia.....he wires it through to his Mum and she puts it in her
bank account.....

I guess it depends on how honest you are.

But no job for me yet!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for replying though

Keely

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 12:00 am
Jeff Hynds

These references talk about people who are Australian citizens by birth and who
acquire their 2nd citizenship elsewhere. I guess if one wants to hold dual
citizenship with one of them being Australian, the way to go is to start out by being
born elsewhere. Sure seems like an insult - or worse - to the native-born by their
own government.

Regards, JEff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------
Alvena Ferreira
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Interesting about Australia not allowing dual citizenship. I have a very close[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> friend, a former Dean of Law at NWU in Australia (he specializes in business law,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> not immigration law) who holds dual Austrailian-United[/usenetquote2]
Kingdom
[usenetquote2]>> citizenship. At least he thinks he does. He has currently valid[/usenetquote2]
passports
[usenetquote2]>> from both countries. I don't find anything about Australia's citizenship laws at[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> either of the sites you referenced. Have you got any other references?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
however:
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 8:13 am
Keely Willoughby

Yes Jeff thats a good point. I was born elsewhere and hold dual citizenship with the
UK & Australia. But yes it is an insult......for people who are actually native to
the big island!!!!!

Keely

Old Apr 22nd 2001, 11:49 pm
Ken Ray

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well, if you think how it works, the Australian government says is if a person
already has citizenship of another country, and they seek Australian citizenship,
then the Australian government has no power to tell another country to revoke a
person's citizenship. And some countries do not recognise that a citizen can ever
relinquish their native born citizenship.

But - if you have Australian citizenship, whether native born or acquired through
immigration, if you subsequently take out citizenship of another country that
requires you to swear allegiance to your new country only, then you have relinquished
your Australian citizenship. So both native born Australians and those who have
acquired it are treated equally.

Ken