Working in the US

Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future
Default Working in the US

Hi,
I hope someone could pointme in the right direction.
have had an agent in Chicago ring me up a few times asking me if I would be interested in a job.

The thing is I am a UK citizen and never really considered working in the US. As a result I have absolutely no idea about how US immiration law works except I assume it is very difficult to actually work in the US and become a US citizen of a permanent resident.

I work in IT, specifically SAP so do not know whether this is an advantage or not.

Any advice appreciated.
Many Thanks
Dave
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in the US

Originally Posted by Chipster
Hi,
I hope someone could pointme in the right direction.
have had an agent in Chicago ring me up a few times asking me if I would be interested in a job.

The thing is I am a UK citizen and never really considered working in the US. As a result I have absolutely no idea about how US immiration law works except I assume it is very difficult to actually work in the US and become a US citizen of a permanent resident.

I work in IT, specifically SAP so do not know whether this is an advantage or not.

Any advice appreciated.
Many Thanks
Dave
Hello Dave

Chicago? Bit colder than Australia in winter - know which I'd pick given the choice...

Anyhow - have a quick read of this for a general overview:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

What kind of agent have you got in Chicago? Do they have an opinion (or know anything about) getting foreigners in general (or you, specifically) in to work?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are serious about it ask if they are willing to both sponsor you for a visa (that will be a requirement, almost certainly you can't get a visa which allows you to work in the US on your own) and also sponsor you for a green card.

If they say yes, offer to go out there for an interview, then you can see the area and see if you think you would like to live there, and most certainly at the interview you should stipulate that if they offer you the job they need to put the visa and greencard sponsorship in writing in the job offer.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

"Agent" is a bit of an odd word. You need to be careful as there are a lot of scam artists out there who promise 'work in America' only to get a check from you and then come back with 'oh, we're sorry, no visas available'.

Getting into the US is very difficult. You are probably looking at one of two options: an H-1B visa (which is basically a lottery now) and an L transfer to a big company (assuming you are working for that company overseas at the moment). There might be a slightly different way but you should check the links provided to see.

Yes, people in IT are eligible for H-1B, but you're going to need a Uni degree or 12 years of experience to take advantage of that, and then your application goes into the 'mixer' with all the other Chinese and Indian techies who are applying. It's basically become a lottery in that there are far more applications than visas available.

Good luck, and if you get someone asking for 'cash up front' please come back and post here for some more advice so we can help you steer away from any scams.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Chipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant futureChipster has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your replies
I should have been clearer when I said 'agent'.
Of course on these forums people automatically think migration agents and I didn't think of that when I posted.
This was a recruitment agent in Chicago.

I do have a uni degree and 15 years experience.

Thanks for the link tonrob, I'll have a good read of the site.

Regards
Dave
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your replies
I should have been clearer when I said 'agent'.
Of course on these forums people automatically think migration agents and I didn't think of that when I posted.
This was a recruitment agent in Chicago.

I do have a uni degree and 15 years experience.

Thanks for the link tonrob, I'll have a good read of the site.

Regards
Dave
No matter who it was...don't part with any money.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice JerseyGirl.
Don't worry I won't.