Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-2 Employee with approved Family-Based I-130 - dual intent?

E-2 Employee with approved Family-Based I-130 - dual intent?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

UKLee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E-2 Employee with approved Family-Based I-130 - dual intent?

Hi everyone,

My situation is that I have an approved I-130 petition in the First Family-Based Preference category, that was filed by my father, a US citizen living in the UK, and my priority date is July 2005, so it's years away from becoming current.

A few months ago I posted a question about applying for an F-1 non-immigrant visa whilst having this approved I-130 and the consensus was that I'd be okay as the F-1 does not specifically prohibit "dual intent".

However, in the meantime, I have been offered a position as a Specialized Knowledge/Skill E-2 employee of an IT Services company, but I am a slightly concerned about the fact that I have this approved petition, even though it won't become current for a long time, and all of my family is back in the UK.

Does anyone know how much of a risk there is of the US Embassy in London denying my E-2 visa as I have the approved petition, thereby showing immigrant intent?

Would it make any difference if I were to have my father withdraw the I-130 petition by writing to the National Visa Center and then present this letter to the Embassy at the time of interview?

I have been reading around about this, but I can't find anything quite the same as these circumstances.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by UKLee; Sep 26th 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-2 Employee with approved Family-Based I-130 - dual intent?

Originally Posted by UKLee
Does anyone know how much of a risk there is of the US Embassy in London denying my E-2 visa as I have the approved petition, thereby showing immigrant intent?
Hi:

Yes, I do know. Off to court.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Yes, I do know. Off to court.
Thanks for replying.

What about if I were to have the I-130 withdrawn? Could it then be looked at in a more positive light?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying.

What about if I were to have the I-130 withdrawn? Could it then be looked at in a more positive light?
I didn't hear Mr.F say it would be looked at in a negative light. He just said he knows the answer.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I didn't hear Mr.F say it would be looked at in a negative light. He just said he knows the answer.

Rene
That's true, but his reply sounds ominous...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

"cryptic" is the word we sometimes use.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
"cryptic" is the word we sometimes use.

Rene
Actually, yes, that's probably a better word!

I appreciate your input, Mr Folinsky.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, yes, that's probably a better word!

I appreciate your input, Mr Folinsky.
Don't beg; he hates that.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for replying.

Hi:

Why would you do that? The term "dual intent" is often misused. But to put in layman's term -- the non-immigrant intent thing is quite attenuated in the case of E visas. I would suggest that you disclose it on the DS-156 and when questioned, you respond, it is so far off and I have no current intent to immigrate.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

I said I was off to court.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Why would you do that? The term "dual intent" is often misused. But to put in layman's term -- the non-immigrant intent thing is quite attenuated in the case of E visas. I would suggest that you disclose it on the DS-156 and when questioned, you respond, it is so far off and I have no current intent to immigrate.
Thanks a lot for the advice.

I'll post again on how it all turns out.